City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
Excellent First Job and Learning Experience!
Clerk, Administrative Operations and Bookkeeping (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 4, 2018
Working for the City of Los Angeles really shaped me into the woman and professional I am today. This was my first job and I am forever grateful for the experience. They schedule my flexible and I worked all throughout school and college.
wonderful career choice for any and everyone!!!
Rental Venue Coordinator/Attendant (Former Employee) –  Griffith Park, CAMarch 17, 2018
To be apart of this company was nothing less than an honor, although I ran into many trying moments with incompetent management personnel, I still enjoyed my job very much as well as desired several more years with them, but unfortunately have since moved forward.
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 8, 2018
The parents are amazing to work with. I learned to be more responsible in my duties and with the children. The hardest part of the job would be failing the children. Because our goal is to help them thrive.
Fast and friendly work environment!
Office Manager/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Reseda, CAOctober 31, 2017
Great company. Look forward to working for a new one and advance! I worked there for 3 years and loved the environment, had to move home residence. Now looking for a job locally.
typical day
Lifeguard/ Swim Instructor/ Pool Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 31, 2017
depending the manager and location, work can be easy or very challenging, sometimes working with the city rules may contradict the water safety instructor teachings
Productive fun place to work.
Recreation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 22, 2017
If u know your sports in and out u will succeed in this position. Have thick skin. Know all the rules, know how to schedule officials, and be punctual and consistent.
Productive and excellent workplace
ADMINSTRATIVE CLERK (Current Employee) –  San Pedro, CAOctober 4, 2017
Working for the City of Los Angeles has been an amazing experience. A typical day at work is making sure I implement all the required task necessary. I'm grateful for the staff that I work with and my supervisors have been my mentors.
The hardest part of my job is only working 4 hours a day and completing tasks in such a small amount of time. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I got a difficult task done and efficiently.
Pros
Benefits are great and pay
Cons
Low hours
Fun exciting Job
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 24, 2017
I love working with kids, my typical day is teaching the children the basic learning skills. Exploring them with creativity with the arts. teaching them 150 words in sign language a year.

I don't have 12 units, I have 8 years of experience. Ive learned from other teacher over the years. I work best hands on. Great ideas from each I've learned from my co workers.

The best part of this job is the children, everyday was fun. getting morning hugs and smiles.

The hardest part is when school ends, the children move on..Missing them is hard.
Pros
The children
Cons
end of school year
Productive Environment
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 16, 2017
Great place to work. I love to work here. the city of los Angeles parks and recreation is a great place to get involved with communities. my most memorable experiences come from working summer camps.
fun workplace
Excellent customer service (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 9, 2017
i first clean the restroom
then i go to the playground and use the blower to dust the sand out. i then go drag the baseball field and then i finish picking up liter and emptying out the trash can
Pros
free food
Cons
short break
fun work
Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 28, 2017
This place provides a fun and recreational environment for the students. The staff is very supportive. There are plenty of supplies and equipment that is provided to conduct activities with students.
Broken system
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 12, 2017
Working for the City of LA was a big mistake in my part. People think that they have job security but they don't. Your supervisor and union will lie to you about everything. Theirs no company culture.

It's a dog world working for the Cityt where so many top dogs are fighting to see who's the boss while the ant workers do all the work with no appreciation. From the GM to the low end Supervisors, they tend to take advantage of the system by hardly working and taking more than 2-4 hours lunch.

Most Park directors come to work 2 days out the weeks and sign their time sheet like if they worked all week. Park Directors claim that they will work weekends and they never do. The city of L.A made me realize that people who work for the government are incompetent and have no moral value and no loyalty when it comes to your job.
benefits
Cons
no company culture, no appreciation, to many bosses and no work done.
fun place to work
CHILD CARE ASSOCIATE II (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 6, 2017
I work with children and my location is near the CA Science Center, Natural History Muesum, CA African Ametican Muesum, I like my job location, and the people
Pros
Nice working environment, good benefits
Cons
no staff break room
Productive day fun interacting with the community
Pool Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 31, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to give back to the community. I learned that it is very important for everyone to learn how to swim.
Great work place
Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Griffith Park, CAJanuary 6, 2017
The work environment is professional. Customer service is always satisfied, and the comradery among workers is always positive and motivating.
Is pretty good
Tennis Instructor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 7, 2016
No hasle nice environment to work, great place to work at, great supervisor and Director of the park great coworkers, great place to get your kids to start playing sports
Pros
Good to work at
Cons
Not full time
Interesting place
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 16, 2015
Interesting place to work at. The department of recreation and parks has its perks and its great to see growth within people in the work place and whom I've interacted with.
Pros
Creative freedom
Cons
No room for advancement
fun in the sun
lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAAugust 19, 2015
the aquatics directors only care about their salaries and dont care about the public and programing. they dont want to help people which is what this field is all about
Productive and Fun
Strength and Conditioning Coach (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 7, 2015
A typical day at work was getting to the park and start programming for children when they got there after school. I learned how to work with all kinds of children. I had amazing coworkers. I've always enjoyed working with children