City of Los Angeles
Happiness rating is 83 out of 100

City of Los Angeles Employee Reviews

City of Los Angeles insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Overall satisfaction

Good for Part-Time Employment

Good opportunities for temporary work. Very difficult to promote and work towards promoting. No benefits unless you are full-time employees.Job security in this department is safe and they are always hiring.

pays ok

Pay is good relative to other entry level accounting work. tJob security and union benefits are very competitive. The CEO has thrice postponed the 'return to work'.

Pros

Job stability, good benefits

Cons

doesn't adapt quickly to any situation

Fine job, hard work not rewarded, difficult upward mobility

The people are fine, but you are not encouraged to learn more about the industry you are involved in. You are pretty much expected to be a grunt with no knowledge of the work you are doing. I would have loved this job if working hard was appreciated. I felt stuck and like no matter how much I cared, it didn't matter.

Rewarding and substantive

This is a good position where you can assist at-risk constituents with rent increase and eviction issues. Working from home is very efficient. Management allows you to manage your own deadlines.

Pros

It is a govt. job; job security and raises.

Cons

High workload

Good pay and work/life balance

Working the 3/12 schedule provides plenty of personal time. Also, 1 month long vacation is great. Coworkers are great and lots of opportunity to advance your career.

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Good benefits

City jobs are great. Pay is good and so are the benefits. You learn something new everyday. My co-workers were bery helpful. We helped each other out often.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Too much politics

Productively fun working environment.

Was an intern on the tech support team under the finance branch. Had a great mentor. Not sure if he is still there but he was very kind and my team members were all super cool. Working with them was super easy and made work fun. Definitely recommend.

Pros

Great people, easy work. Very quiet most of the time lol.

Great Place, Great Teams and meaningful work (Controller’s Office).

I had a wonderful time as an intern. The work I performed was perfect for building a portfolio and is meaningful since it helps the city of la. Coworkers and my supervisor were great. Would love to come back some day.

Pros

Flexible Schedules, Great Staff

Cons

Sometimes tedious tasks

Great place to start/grow career.

The City of LA is a huge entity, so experiences may vary. The department I work in is one of the largest ones. My manager and my team are all very hard-working, dependable, and fun to be around. Work at times can be very busy, but I never feel too stressed or pressured. There are a lot of opportunities for growth, you just need to be proactive in taking advantage of them.

Plenty of work and great staff. Work is challenging and makes you come out of your shell. Great benefits and pay is getting better as I advance. Plenty of different job functions in my department to choose from. Management is all about advancing our internal staff for promotions

Pros

Family life balance, benefits, team

Cons

hiring process

Government workers

Not for the ambitious. Just show up and do your job. Little room for advancement. No use of outside electrontics on phones. Easy dress code. Close to public transportation.

Pros

Good Pay

Cons

Lazy people

Good benifit

The work at City of Los Angeles is very challenging, with the diversity of 4 mil people and more than 500 square miles. It a great place to work. In addition, job security

Pros

Good benefits

If you want to give back to your community, start here.

So glad I followed up this employment opportunity on Indeed. Be prepared for an extensive hiring process and background check. There are rules to follow and they must be adhered to.

Great place to obtain knowledge and experience.

Very exciting place to learn, job satisfaction, and management is very supportive. Great colleagues!!!!! Company is extremely supportive and very concerned about the wellbeing of their community.

The city can be good it all depends what department you work for

I’ve worked for the city for about 4 years. Like any job, it all depends what department and location you work at. I have worked at Personnel and most of my coworkers were great but management was not. I was part time and part time workers were looked down on. It was always said full time workers were better and whenever there was an employee conflict, management would turn the other cheek. They let me go and did not tell me. They simply ignored my phone calls and emails. I started working at General Services Department and I am part time again my boss is very understanding and more flexible with my schedule but I am stuck doing 18 hours the week with no chance of more hours part time works for me for personal reasons but wish I worked a bit more hours.

Pros

Good starting pay, small raise yearly/work anniversary

Cons

Hard to get full time positions as most require testing, Part time workers don’t have benefits and can be let go any time for no reason, Depending on the department management can be terrible

Work hard

Very professional working together as a crew and working well with others a plus .. agree to learn and ask questions and I felt warmth from other Co workers and long time employees made me feel welcome

Fun work place

Great place to work! If you are an actor or have a side business this would be the perfect place for you to work You can choose your hours and you can also switch shifts with other employees if need be on a last minute request

City of LA

The hiring process is slow. Patience and time; so different from the private sector. The work may or may not be what you expected. Most often it can be very boing work. But the City pays very well. I interviewed for a different position at a different department, but the process is so slow. My first initial interview was about 5+ months ago. Departments cancel interviews, it's frustrating. So different from the private sector in terms of time in general.

community oriented

I met alot of great people on the job, its a community oriented position and you must be good at customer service. good communication skills are a must.

Love being a librarian

I loved my time as a librarian, helping people and working with young adults. I helped promote literacy and a love of learning to those I helped. It was a very satisfying career

Too much politics goes around

Supervisors work the way they want not the way supposed to. you have to know politics to get established. Supervisor take sides, that is my personal experience .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Los Angeles. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3

Women's ratings

3.7Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss