City of Los Angeles
81High
4.3

City of Los Angeles Employee Reviews

United States316 reviews
The work at City of Los Angeles is very challenging, with the diversity of 4 mil people and more than 500 square miles. It a great place to work. In addition, job security
Pros
Good benefits
So glad I followed up this employment opportunity on Indeed. Be prepared for an extensive hiring process and background check. There are rules to follow and they must be adhered to.
Very exciting place to learn, job satisfaction, and management is very supportive. Great colleagues!!!!! Company is extremely supportive and very concerned about the wellbeing of their community.
I’ve worked for the city for about 4 years. Like any job, it all depends what department and location you work at. I have worked at Personnel and most of my coworkers were great but management was not. I was part time and part time workers were looked down on. It was always said full time workers were better and whenever there was an employee conflict, management would turn the other cheek. They let me go and did not tell me. They simply ignored my phone calls and emails. I started working at General Services Department and I am part time again my boss is very understanding and more flexible with my schedule but I am stuck doing 18 hours the week with no chance of more hours part time works for me for personal reasons but wish I worked a bit more hours.
Pros
Good starting pay, small raise yearly/work anniversary
Cons
Hard to get full time positions as most require testing, Part time workers don’t have benefits and can be let go any time for no reason, Depending on the department management can be terrible
Very professional working together as a crew and working well with others a plus .. agree to learn and ask questions and I felt warmth from other Co workers and long time employees made me feel welcome
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
Great place to work!
If you are an actor or have

a side business this would be

the perfect place for you to work

You can choose your hours and

you can also switch shifts with

other employees if need be on

a last minute request
The hiring process is slow. Patience and time; so different from the private sector. The work may or may not be what you expected. Most often it can be very boing work. But the City pays very well.
I interviewed for a different position at a different department, but the process is so slow. My first initial interview was about 5+ months ago. Departments cancel interviews, it's frustrating. So different from the private sector in terms of time in general.
I met alot of great people on the job, its a community oriented position and you must be good at customer service. good communication skills are a must.
I loved my time as a librarian, helping people and working with young adults. I helped promote literacy and a love of learning to those I helped. It was a very satisfying career
Supervisors work the way they want not the way supposed to. you have to know politics to get established. Supervisor take sides, that is my personal experience .
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at City of Los Angeles?
great retirement and benefits, great opportunities for promotion and transfers. Worked here for many years in several capacities. Great support and assistance for promoting.

Some benefits are dependent upon the department you are in
Learn something new every day. Never boring. Can build on professional & personal skills. Roon for career advancement. Excellent work hours. Great benefits. Good co-worker/peer comraderie.
Great experience!! Al Galloway was a excellent supervisor for the Construction and Maintenance department for the Port of Los Angeles. Friendly co-workers, clear instructions, hands on training, daily variety of job duties, many perks and benefits for permanent employees.
It was interesting to be exposed to the working of the city and all the moving parts. It was a turbulent time budget work and they tried and succeeded in shutting the department I worked for
Down
My opinion dont matter

It's the supervisor and manager makes this place not wanting to be or work at.hope telling you more helps to.change the.negative impact of the work place.
Pros
Nice place to work at
Cons
Unsupportive Manager and Supervisor
Bonuses or raises. Most definitely needed for clerical staff. Increase more sick days. Increase vacation hours a month. No tracking sick time how it’s being used.
Its a very good job,but management is not the best. They dont listen to staff needs and down play anything we discuss regarding the safety or betterment of the department. The main reason I am looking for employment elsewhere. I want to grow with a company and feel like I make a difference for the betterment of all.
Pros
Helping animals
Cons
Poor management
Don't trust anyone do your job keep to yourself .For the most part it's Okay just watch out for the people trying to make a name for themselves they lie.
A small amount or perhaps non futuristic promotion.
Its mostly, unmeit people being promoted.

Most jobs that it posting, it requires lots of requirements that very often a typical employee doesn't met its requirements.
it has good benefits and lots of room to grow. Very Secure and overall a great job, but I am not sure people wake up one day and believe that a city job is a dream job they always wanted.
Pros
benifits, depends on the job
Cons
depends on the job
Managers are always supporting making sure their employees are doing well. There is room to move up and they encourage all their workers to apply. I always enjoy showing up to work.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Los Angeles. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight