City of Los Angeles Employee Reviews

Great place for a career with promotional opportunities
Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 14, 2018
Having a career with the City of Los Angeles is very rewarding and a service to the citiz ma of Los Angeles. The careers withbthe City have great benefits and plenty of opportunities to promote.
I wish I never left
Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 9, 2018
I was just an intern but I loved my workplace. The networking events were amazing and the work was rewarding. However, many people there couldn't afford to live on their own in the city for work for which is pretty sad.
ok
Wastewater collection (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 29, 2018
People there is ok to work with to much favoritism when it comes to management don't always promote people according to experience don't always favorite people they don't like discriminate instead of correcting problems with employees they rather terminate them once they do like they will ignore any wrongdoing
Pros
pay lunch
Cons
good health care
It is a very good place to work
Feild Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAAugust 22, 2018
The city of Los Angeles is a very good place to work . There is a high standard of community service that everyone strives to work towards and is professional.
Great City System and Endless Promotion Opportunities
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 22, 2018
as a city employee there are plenty of job openings to City Of LA employees. i work as a recreation assistant. SO I can always go and check the employment website and see what's available
Fair
LA County Registrar Recorder (Clerk) (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CAJune 29, 2018
The management were fair and business like. The hours were fairly long because I work during the elections. It's more than ten hours a day more than two weeks. The workplace where tolerable but the work were plenty. I wouldn't mind working here again.
Pros
adequate work and schedule
Management Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 26, 2018
Enjoyed working in the public sector. Nice opportunity to work for different departments in various positions while maintaining employment with the same employer.
Pros
Cons
Bureaucracy-Red Tape
Productive and educational
Mechanical Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 5, 2018
Working for the city of LA was a great experience. It was my first internship and being around the professional culture working with professional engineers was a great experience for me.
Fun Job
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 21, 2018
If you like to design, this is the place for you. They provide you with all the tools and resources to design work. You literally have everything you need.
Temporary Title with Full Time Culture
Elections Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 16, 2018
While working with the Election Division, although most of the workers were Temporary, we were all treated as if we had been long time employees. The pay and benefits are great. This is a great job for temporary work and great pay.
Pros
Competitive Pay, Benefits, Flexibility
Cons
Long Hours, Temporary Position
Great Work Place
Intermediate Election Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 15, 2018
Good place to start very good team work if you are assigned in a department that requires , also management is always helpful. This job was very slow paced then fast be ready for calls , learn all material and be helpful to callers. No hard parts to job and the people are great
Pros
People, environment
Life Guard
Lifeguard, Swim/Water polo instructor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 1, 2018
It a fun job to had. I got to work with kids and adults, save lives, and teach classes. First job while in high school and work for them for fours. they work around you
Good benefits and growth opportunities.
Accountant 2 (Former Employee) –  Downtown Los AngelesApril 27, 2018
The pay and benefits are quite good. Working conditions are very good. It's an equal opportunity employer. Trainings are available. Chances of promotion is very good.
Pros
Lots of opportunities for growth
Cons
Competirion is stiff.
Rewarding work and a positive environment
Youth Employment Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 14, 2018
A typical day as a Youth Employment Specialist for the City of Los Angeles may involve any number of tasks, from designing spreadsheets to track the progress of program monitoring to visiting partner agencies to review files for accuracy and completeness to visiting work sites to interview youth participants and supervisors. I meet with my supervisor on a weekly basis and also maintain transparency by "copying" Analysts on emails and keeping shared files updated.

Working for EWDD requires the motivation to work with minimal supervision, although we are encouraged to ask for input when needed and everyone collaborates to get the job done. Although there are several divisions with the Department (e.g. youth, adult, rapid response) everyone seems committed to the overall success of the programs we oversee. From the Executive Director to the lowest position in the hierarchy, it is a team effort.

There is an expectation that when we are on City time we are working on City business but there are also opportunities for community-building, including fun and casual gatherings to introduce new hires and informal birthday celebrations as well as the annual holiday celebration.

Although my job with the City of Los Angeles (Economic and Workforce Development Department) is a temporary, part-time position, I always feel that my contribution is appreciated. I accrue "Compensated Personal Time" and am compensated up to $50 per month for taking public transportation.
Pros
Fair compensation, genial work environment
Slow, Corporate Unhappy
Field Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 11, 2018
ALot of the people I worked with were much older than me and it felt like they had given up on life or had families so didn't have the luxury of thinking of themselves.
Pros
Consistent Check
Cons
Unhappy Stressful Work Environment
Fun Place to work at
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 11, 2018
I wished I was still there, this lay off cost me my Merriage, and lost everything and more. this job you can NEVER REPLACE. I had to start over and get my feet back on the road again.
Pros
Omg, where do i start I LOVED WORKING THERE.
Cons
Nothing bad to say
Productive and friendly workplace
Los Angeles (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 30, 2018
While working at Los Angeles City Hall, my position was an LA Youth Intern. My job was for the summer and I worked in their engineering department as a an intern. There I recorded inventory, assisted other employees with projects and tasks, input information in databases and attend workshops on a weekly basis. The Job Culture was very flexible and I rarely had issues.
Pros
Lunch at Farmer's Market and the Job Environment
Cons
It was a great experience. I learned to be professional and productive.
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 29, 2018
I enjoyed working for the City of Los Angeles. It was a diverse workplace the majority of coworkers were friendly and easy to get along with. I learned a lot there. My area of expertise was Clerical/Accounting Administrative Assistance. They offered a variety of training classes to enhance my knowledge in the areas of Accounting, Business Writing and communication, interaction with the lot training on various computer programs and business machines. They offered a lot of promotion and transfer opportunities. You could transfer to other sections or different departments. There wasn’t anything really hard about working for the City that I recall. Every now and then I may work with someone who was a trouble maker or not a team player or a manager or two who was kind of head strung but other than that, I don’t have any major complaints. One thing I really enjoyed were the employee appreication and health fair days and best Halloween costumes contests, the picnics and the bake sells and fundraisers for March of Dimes and for sick employees and the many opportunities to volunteer in the community. Overall, it was a great place to work.
Pros
Occasional Free lunches, good benefits, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Employee parking was a block away.
A good career
Sr. Traffic Supervisor II (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAMarch 29, 2018
An excellent choice for a career. Although, their new retirement plan is not as much of an incentive as before. Many good people work there and are looking to make a difference in the lives of citizens.
Typical government. Unionized. Specific job duties and forms
Accounting Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 26, 2018
The basics: job security, decent pay and benefits. What's lacking is the creative spirit that resides in most private sector employment opportunities.