City of Los Angeles Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
Management Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 26, 2018
Enjoyed working in the public sector. Nice opportunity to work for different departments in various positions while maintaining employment with the same employer.
Pros
Cons
Bureaucracy-Red Tape
Productive and educational
Mechanical Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 5, 2018
Working for the city of LA was a great experience. It was my first internship and being around the professional culture working with professional engineers was a great experience for me.
Fun Job
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 21, 2018
If you like to design, this is the place for you. They provide you with all the tools and resources to design work. You literally have everything you need.
Temporary Title with Full Time Culture
Elections Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 16, 2018
While working with the Election Division, although most of the workers were Temporary, we were all treated as if we had been long time employees. The pay and benefits are great. This is a great job for temporary work and great pay.
Pros
Competitive Pay, Benefits, Flexibility
Cons
Long Hours, Temporary Position
Great Work Place
Intermediate Election Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 15, 2018
Good place to start very good team work if you are assigned in a department that requires , also management is always helpful. This job was very slow paced then fast be ready for calls , learn all material and be helpful to callers. No hard parts to job and the people are great
Pros
People, environment
Life Guard
Lifeguard, Swim/Water polo instructor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 1, 2018
It a fun job to had. I got to work with kids and adults, save lives, and teach classes. First job while in high school and work for them for fours. they work around you
Good benefits and growth opportunities.
Accountant 2 (Former Employee) –  Downtown Los AngelesApril 27, 2018
The pay and benefits are quite good. Working conditions are very good. It's an equal opportunity employer. Trainings are available. Chances of promotion is very good.
Pros
Lots of opportunities for growth
Cons
Competirion is stiff.
Rewarding work and a positive environment
Youth Employment Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 14, 2018
A typical day as a Youth Employment Specialist for the City of Los Angeles may involve any number of tasks, from designing spreadsheets to track the progress of program monitoring to visiting partner agencies to review files for accuracy and completeness to visiting work sites to interview youth participants and supervisors. I meet with my supervisor on a weekly basis and also maintain transparency by "copying" Analysts on emails and keeping shared files updated.

Working for EWDD requires the motivation to work with minimal supervision, although we are encouraged to ask for input when needed and everyone collaborates to get the job done. Although there are several divisions with the Department (e.g. youth, adult, rapid response) everyone seems committed to the overall success of the programs we oversee. From the Executive Director to the lowest position in the hierarchy, it is a team effort.

There is an expectation that when we are on City time we are working on City business but there are also opportunities for community-building, including fun and casual gatherings to introduce new hires and informal birthday celebrations as well as the annual holiday celebration.

Although my job with the City of Los Angeles (Economic and Workforce Development Department) is a temporary, part-time position, I always feel that my contribution is appreciated. I accrue "Compensated Personal Time" and am compensated up to $50 per month for taking public transportation.
Pros
Fair compensation, genial work environment
Slow, Corporate Unhappy
Field Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 11, 2018
ALot of the people I worked with were much older than me and it felt like they had given up on life or had families so didn't have the luxury of thinking of themselves.
Pros
Consistent Check
Cons
Unhappy Stressful Work Environment
Fun Place to work at
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 11, 2018
I wished I was still there, this lay off cost me my Merriage, and lost everything and more. this job you can NEVER REPLACE. I had to start over and get my feet back on the road again.
Pros
Omg, where do i start I LOVED WORKING THERE.
Cons
Nothing bad to say
Productive and friendly workplace
Los Angeles (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 30, 2018
While working at Los Angeles City Hall, my position was an LA Youth Intern. My job was for the summer and I worked in their engineering department as a an intern. There I recorded inventory, assisted other employees with projects and tasks, input information in databases and attend workshops on a weekly basis. The Job Culture was very flexible and I rarely had issues.
Pros
Lunch at Farmer's Market and the Job Environment
Cons
It was a great experience. I learned to be professional and productive.
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 29, 2018
I enjoyed working for the City of Los Angeles. It was a diverse workplace the majority of coworkers were friendly and easy to get along with. I learned a lot there. My area of expertise was Clerical/Accounting Administrative Assistance. They offered a variety of training classes to enhance my knowledge in the areas of Accounting, Business Writing and communication, interaction with the lot training on various computer programs and business machines. They offered a lot of promotion and transfer opportunities. You could transfer to other sections or different departments. There wasn’t anything really hard about working for the City that I recall. Every now and then I may work with someone who was a trouble maker or not a team player or a manager or two who was kind of head strung but other than that, I don’t have any major complaints. One thing I really enjoyed were the employee appreication and health fair days and best Halloween costumes contests, the picnics and the bake sells and fundraisers for March of Dimes and for sick employees and the many opportunities to volunteer in the community. Overall, it was a great place to work.
Pros
Occasional Free lunches, good benefits, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Employee parking was a block away.
A good career
Sr. Traffic Supervisor II (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAMarch 29, 2018
An excellent choice for a career. Although, their new retirement plan is not as much of an incentive as before. Many good people work there and are looking to make a difference in the lives of citizens.
Typical government. Unionized. Specific job duties and forms
Accounting Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 26, 2018
The basics: job security, decent pay and benefits. What's lacking is the creative spirit that resides in most private sector employment opportunities.
good learning experience
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 6, 2018
I have learned a lot from my time thee. Very productive in my advancement and i am thankful for the opportunity to work there. The experience is invaluable.
good work place
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 5, 2018
Best place to have worked for. The problem was that I was in a program that the city after 3 years cannot continue to work with but yet they did see that things were still getting done to how the city wanted the program to continue and were under observation until the end of the program. A program analysts was assigned to oversee that the program was still run until the cities conditions.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
when under a program, they can cut all funds at any time
City of los angeles
Tax Review Assistant - Office of Finance (Former Employee) –  City of Los AngelesFebruary 28, 2018
it was a good job, with friendly people. Sometimes stressful, trying to get all the applications, emails, and customer service calls completed each day.
Pros
stable hours
Cons
need to prove yourself
Senior Custodian supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 22, 2018
The city of los angeles is a great place to work, there is a lot of opportunities to promote within the city. Have great benefits and is well pay.....
Benefits
Very Good
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  City of Los Angeles, CAFebruary 7, 2018
Productive and good Teaching Experience. Many job assignments in different schools located all over the Los Angeles City area and the Valley area also.
Pros
Very Professionall, ongoing work
Cons
Only Temporary Teaching Positions. I need Permanent Employment.
Temporary job
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 18, 2018
Job life was fairly very easy. Good place to work, simple day to day life style and the LAX airport being near the beach, that's the dream. EOE which is very important.