City of Los Angeles Employee Reviews

great job
Steam Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAMarch 1, 2019
operate power plant 230 megs generators as needed. Read water chem logs. Provide high quality feed water to boilers.Make equipment rounds. Read all logs contact the energy control ctr.
Pros
good medical
Cons
excesive hours
Work/life balance is good!
Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 25, 2019
Working for the City = working with a tight budget and old technology. With that said, people are great, projects are fairly easy and work/life balance is great!
Great work environment
Lifeguard/ Ligeguard Pool Manager II (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 25, 2019
This job is definitely great for working with all races and ethnic group. It's a very diverse community. If working with children is a passion then this is the ideal job because there are many children in pool communities.
Mundane and routine work
Risk Management - Risk & Insurance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 4, 2019
If employees were allowed the freedom to think for themselves, this would be a great place to work. I found that your duties are limited to 1 or 2 things, which do not allow you to develop the necessary skills to promote. Employees get very comfortable doing those 1 or 2 things and some are ok with it; others see it as not being able to use their brain and become bored easily.
Benefits
Cons
You may get stuck with doing 1 job for years unless you pass an exam to do a different type of work
Good work atmosphere.
CONCERT FESTIVAL/ EVENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 26, 2019
It was exciting and fun. Learn new job experience. I helped set up the vendors work station. I sold water and snacks. oversees all aspects of event planning and management, including internal and external events. Responsibilities for the Event Coordinator include meeting with clients to work out event details, plan with the client, scout and book locations, food, entertainment, staff and cleanup.
Pros
Good atmosphere and fun.
Cons
Long hours and short lunch.
Independent thinking to make decision.
Correctional Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 7, 2019
evaluate of patients for need of medical attention, dispense medication, patient teaching, prepare for court., blood draw, diabetic education, ,evaluate to determine if there was a need to see a physician. prepare for transfer for court, determine need for booking or send to hospital.
Pros
Education of patient
Cons
Hostile patients, could be dangerous.
everyone is kind and friendly
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 27, 2018
It is a very relaxed environment. The supervisors are helpful. The work is very easy, my coworkers are helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job is to finish my assignment on time. No harsh demands from the supervisors.
Pros
It is very easy work
Cons
No health benefits, weekend swing shift is the only option, no days
Learning on the field
Engineering Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 8, 2018
Leaning from other co-workers the needs of the projects and learning AutoCad.
Learning voltage drops for the street light circuits of several projects.

Approving submittals.
Games like that is good, I like them, but only if everyone remains professional
Refuse Collector (Former Employee) –  City of Los Angeles, CADecember 1, 2018
Pat attention to your employee when there is a request If employees having a problem, call him and check with him or her......sometimes city rules and regulations are to Strick in order to have a good employee to remain a good employee look and see if you’re rules are 99% fair very closely...thank you.
Pros
Working for the city of Los Angeles is a great opportunity .
Cons
Sometimes it can, depends on the work load
Productive enviornment
LAFD Student Professional Worker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 29, 2018
Great leadership in the Los Angeles City Fire Department. Constantly learning and challenged with new projects. Great support staff. Unfortunately only working part time, no salary pay and no benefits.
Pros
great work environment and professional
Awesome place to work
In Home Supportive Services (Former Employee) –  Clients Homes (Various locations)November 9, 2018
I enjoyed the 12+ years I worked for the City of Los Angeles. As an In-Hime Service Provides my job was rewarding. Although it can be stressful at times, but I learned to have a lot of patience with people with disabilities. I worked as an independent contractor, therefore there were no managers or supervisors overseeing my work. The hardest part of the job was ensuring the client could follow the protocol to keep him or herself safe in a moment of crisis.
Pros
The Ability to Help clients reach his or her highest potential.
Cons
Burnout
Productive place to work
Administrative Intern II (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 7, 2018
The City of LA provides a lot of opportunities to grow and learn. In the two years that I've been with the company, I've done several different roles, all of which have taught me a new skill set and something I can use to grow in my career.
Everyday was interesting
Airport Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 31, 2018
Everyday was exciting and challenging, as you never knew what to expect. Worked with a great group of people. Teamwork is key to accomplishing daily goals.
Pros
Meeting new people, working alongside positive and energetic people.
Cons
Working during the summer heatwaves.....
good environment
TYPIST CLERK (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 24, 2018
I really enjoyed working with the City, specially Convention Center. I was able to use my knowledge in computer and record retention to mange and computerize the exhibitor services record from 2004 to 2013.
It was a relaxed, easy-going workplace
Poll Worker (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, CAOctober 24, 2018
I liked the work because it was amazing working with so many different people. It allowed me to help many voters and it was great working with excited first time voters.
Special Projects Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 19, 2018
At this current time , the job is good if you are in school but it will not pay living costs as a part time job alone. It is a good part time job. Advancing is tough due to testing being on hold due to lack of fulltime positions.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Though neighborhoods
Fun place to work
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 17, 2018
Its a good place to work but finding set hours can be very difficult if you don't know someone that already works for the City. A lot of directors like to choose people that they know to work for them and they will give them hours instead of other people.
Great work envirement.
Class B Local Commercial Driver. Rubbish Truck (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 5, 2018
Very good equipment & Staff to work with. Great hours , with Good future work growth opportunities. Great running Equipment & well maintained. Many good classroom driving tips, as well as The Smith System Training. Out in the field , Safety Training was explained very well in full detail for better understanding.
Pros
Great start times with weekends off. Most route customers very respectfull, and Appreciative.
Cons
Can't think of any. But if needed info, guess it would have to be the bad smell on a monday morning, after rubbish sitting all weekend. But very much tolerable.
Outstanding place to work
Traffic Officer II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 4, 2018
The City of Los Angeles offers many opportunities for promotion and advancement city wide. Open positions are regularly posted on their website and benefits/salary are competitive with other government agencies.
Many ways to move up and promote
CLERK TYPIST (Former Employee) –  Dept. of Airports, City of LAOctober 1, 2018
I started with the City of LA as a Clerk Typist and kept taking promotional exams.
When I retired in 2001 I was number one on the Superintendents List.
Pros
Medical, Dental and Eye care was great. Paid sick time, holiday pay and Vacations