City of Los Angeles Employee Review

View all City of Los Angeles reviews

Productive and fun work environment to work
SPA II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 26, 2014
As an Assistance Manager people expect from you a lot. Your basically in charge of every detail at work. I've learned a lot out of this job. How to run a store from counting drawers, inventory, run shifts and process all information into the computer. I learned how to work with my co-workers, how to grid costumers., learned that costumers are always right and give what they asked for. The hardest part of the job is try to have everybody happy and pleased with what they asked you for. Cover areas that you don't have replacement and give 100% on everything. And the most enjoyable part is getting to know a lot of people and all the knowledge you gain from the job you're doing.
Pros
Have free lunches, met new people and gain knowledge
Cons
Lunch whenerver possible, variable schedule and deal with angry costumers.

Other City of Los Angeles Employee Reviews

Rewarding work and a positive environment
Youth Employment Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 14, 2018
A typical day as a Youth Employment Specialist for the City of Los Angeles may involve any number of tasks, from designing spreadsheets to track the progress of program monitoring to visiting partner agencies to review files for accuracy and completeness to visiting work sites to interview youth participants and supervisors. I meet with my supervisor on a weekly basis and also maintain transparency by "copying" Analysts on emails and keeping shared files updated.

Working for EWDD requires the motivation to work with minimal supervision, although we are encouraged to ask for input when needed and everyone collaborates to get the job done. Although there are several divisions with the Department (e.g. youth, adult, rapid response) everyone seems committed to the overall success of the programs we oversee. From the Executive Director to the lowest position in the hierarchy, it is a team effort.

There is an expectation that when we are on City time we are working on City business but there are also opportunities for community-building, including fun and casual gatherings to introduce new hires and informal birthday celebrations as well as the annual holiday celebration.

Although my job with the City of Los Angeles (Economic and Workforce Development Department) is a temporary, part-time position, I always feel that my contribution is appreciated. I accrue "Compensated Personal Time" and am compensated up to $50 per month for taking public transportation.
Pros
Fair compensation, genial work environment
Slow, Corporate Unhappy
Field Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 11, 2018
ALot of the people I worked with were much older than me and it felt like they had given up on life or had families so didn't have the luxury of thinking of themselves.
Pros
Consistent Check
Cons
Unhappy Stressful Work Environment