City of McAllen Employee Reviews

A refreshing Culture of Employees
Benefits Specialist Coordinator (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJanuary 17, 2019
The City of McAllen is one of the best locations to work for in the RGV area. It has a great Culture and recognizes its' employees. It participates a Wellness programs for employees and encourages well being. seminar
Pros
Educational seminars, extensive health benefits
Good environment but seeking a long term position
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXNovember 6, 2018
Working for City of McAllen I got a lot of Management trainings that gave me more knowledge and made me more efficient and suceed as an Operations Supervisor.
Pros
It's a great place to work
Cons
In my department there is no more space for advancement
fast pace enviorment
Emergency Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXDecember 27, 2018
fast pace enviroment hard work but pays good

lots of overtime sometimes forced
shift work
constant turnovers
management is good
good workplace culture
Pros
good pay
Cons
Overtime
"Other duties as assigned" is an understatement
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palmview LibraryMarch 15, 2018
They are fast and very loose with the truth about what you will be doing. This position actually involved running the teen department as a one-person show. was expected to complete the other duties listed here as well as create teen programming, organize the summer reading program, and pay (yes, pay) out of pocket for supplies and materials. There is little to no training, the culture is not too bad, coworkers can be pretty awesome, but management is both demanding and unresponsive.
Pros
insurance
Cons
low pay, no training, duties added and not compensated
Hazardous Materials Technician, TCFP certified (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXDecember 17, 2018
The employees within certain organizations maintain levels of discrimination among those that receive higher education. The lack of support is sometimes discouraging.
relax job
lead groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXMarch 7, 2018
no room for advancement low pay, do not appreciate new employees. poor communication of management not planning on staying long as a career. only benefit weekends off
Pros
weekends off
Cons
low pay
Productive and fast pace work place.
Code Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXSeptember 17, 2018
City of McAllen works with the university to give a discount on degrees. City of McAllen continues to grow and has a lot of opportunities to promote and extend your knowledge.
Pros
City vechile.
Cons
Weekends
Good benefits thats about it
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXOctober 26, 2017
Think twice about working in the transportation department (Metro). There is alot of favoritism between management and employees. Hourly pay is 13.44 with no raise.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Management is very unprofessional.
Plans examiner
Plans Examiner (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXAugust 13, 2018
As a plans examiner my job duties are to make sure that homes and renovation are built to code. Reviewing City Ordinances, setbacks, easement and Building Code review.
secure job
Sanitation dept heavy equipment operator (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXOctober 23, 2017
its all about politics, if you know someone you might move up, but if you don't just forget it, even if you are a great employee and are qualified to be more, that is always overlooked. almost zero appreciation.
Pros
secure paycheck, benefits and perks
Cons
zero appreciation, treat you like a toddler, no professionalism
Productive and fun place to work
Class C -Water Treatment Operator (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXJuly 17, 2018
A typical day at the Water Treatment Operator Plan at the City of McAllen, Texas, I will monitor and collected samples of water and verified all regulations were being followed.
Political Atomosphere
Community Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXJuly 18, 2017
There are plenty of room for improvements in the municipality. Not much training is offered to most employees. Low pay for advance work requested with very little room for advancement. Most enjoyable is meeting those exceptional employees who make a difference. Hardest part of the job is there have been media and non-media (filed complaints) exposure of management misbehavior.
Pros
Meet exceptional employees who make a difference
Cons
Management misbehavior is often dismissed
Great Benefits, great pay, nice if I would live with family
Commercial Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXMay 16, 2018
I never complained. I made a lot of friends. Now I have to learn to move on for a better life ahead. I will be giving my two weeks for personal reasons. I do plan on returning. They were great here.
Responsible for the entire Customer Relations Department operation
Customer Relations Manager (Current Employee) –  Mcallen txMay 11, 2016
Have daily contact with both internal and external customers.
Review daily cash collection and review general ledgers to account for all transactions.
Personnel Management.
Review internal processes and to ensure no breach of controls are occurring.
Prepare financial reports to be revised by upper management.
Reconcile all revenue and expense accounts.
Prepare agendas for board meetings.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
No room for advancement
its ok
Automotive Mechanic (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJune 12, 2018
its your avreg job a 8 to 5 you go in and chaing oils on trucks and cars sumtimes dump trucks or buses and an occasional tire change a fue hidrolic silinder replacements
Pros
secur job
Cons
salery is low
Senior Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXFebruary 12, 2018
My job as a Passport Agent was hectic and stressful. Dealing with the customers and helping them determine the process of obtaining a passport came with great satisfactions. The customers made it fun and enjoyable to work for the City of McAllen. The hardest part of my job was taking the passport photos for the little ones. Many times the children would cry and scream because they didn't want to take the pictures. At the end of the day with a lollipop in hand they would give us the opportunity to take the picture.The City of McAllen was a good place to work. The hours worked were too much for me and my family.
Cons
Not enough pay
Great learning experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXFebruary 3, 2014
I worked closely with the Board Members of the Planning & Zoning Board and Board of Adjustments. I emailed them the agenda's for the meetings and prepared the agenda books for their meetings. Before the meetings would start I had a chance to get to know each and everyone. Most of my xco-workers were pleasant to work with and things would get crazy every other week. The hardest part was when I had to take over in preparing for the meetings twice a month and the other administrative was out. But the good thing was that I had a secretary that was willing to help with preparing agenda's and books while I took care of preparing for the meetings. I have learned to work in a very fast pace and how to work in multitasks. I always had deadlines every other week and always met them.
Benefits
Cons
no room for advancement
Excellent leadership and good organization to work for
EDUCATION SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJune 8, 2017
Benefits excellent. Plenty of room for advancement. Team oriented environments. Typical day required employee to be very flexible and able to do multiple jobs outside of job description. Although its a great learning opportunity it can be difficult to really develop a solid skill. The constant change (in job role, job description, schedule, budget etc.) can wear on an employee, their work goals and personal life.
good place to work
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXMay 6, 2018
lifeguarding for this company is rewarding, not only can you become a senior guard, but you can become a manager and move up. It can get a little crazy when there are alot of guests at the pool, but you do get breaks often
management needs help but the staff is great
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXAugust 21, 2017
I would either teach swim lesson in the morning or evening, sometimes both. Then guard regular pool hours. On the weekends there will be parties and sometimes I would have to work all day straight and then work a party at night. Management lacks the ability to lead their lifeguards. In general the whole staff is pretty close and that is why managers don't really care about the place. Some can even talk down to you if they feel like it. the hardest part of the job was the heat because we were are in the heat 24/7 there is no air conditioning and the refrigerators are the pools barely work. Besides all of that the best part of the job is getting to know the staff they are very friendly and fun to hang out with. since they are with each other most of the time, it is easy to always hang with them outside of the pool hours.