City of McAllen Employee Reviews

Plans examiner
Plans Examiner (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXAugust 13, 2018
As a plans examiner my job duties are to make sure that homes and renovation are built to code. Reviewing City Ordinances, setbacks, easement and Building Code review.
Productive and fun place to work
Class C -Water Treatment Operator (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXJuly 17, 2018
A typical day at the Water Treatment Operator Plan at the City of McAllen, Texas, I will monitor and collected samples of water and verified all regulations were being followed.
its ok
Automotive Mechanic (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJune 12, 2018
its your avreg job a 8 to 5 you go in and chaing oils on trucks and cars sumtimes dump trucks or buses and an occasional tire change a fue hidrolic silinder replacements
Pros
secur job
Cons
salery is low
Great Benefits, great pay, nice if I would live with family
Commercial Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXMay 16, 2018
I never complained. I made a lot of friends. Now I have to learn to move on for a better life ahead. I will be giving my two weeks for personal reasons. I do plan on returning. They were great here.
good place to work
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXMay 6, 2018
lifeguarding for this company is rewarding, not only can you become a senior guard, but you can become a manager and move up. It can get a little crazy when there are alot of guests at the pool, but you do get breaks often
Good working enviroment
Toll Collector (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXApril 23, 2018
Working here was a good experience, they were good about offering us overtime when needed. The hardest part about this job though was the schedule provided to us.
Pros
overtime
Cons
the hours
"Other duties as assigned" is an understatement
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palmview LibraryMarch 15, 2018
They are fast and very loose with the truth about what you will be doing. This position actually involved running the teen department as a one-person show. was expected to complete the other duties listed here as well as create teen programming, organize the summer reading program, and pay (yes, pay) out of pocket for supplies and materials. There is little to no training, the culture is not too bad, coworkers can be pretty awesome, but management is both demanding and unresponsive.
Pros
insurance
Cons
low pay, no training, duties added and not compensated
relax job
lead groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXMarch 7, 2018
no room for advancement low pay, do not appreciate new employees. poor communication of management not planning on staying long as a career. only benefit weekends off
Pros
weekends off
Cons
low pay
Senior Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXFebruary 12, 2018
My job as a Passport Agent was hectic and stressful. Dealing with the customers and helping them determine the process of obtaining a passport came with great satisfactions. The customers made it fun and enjoyable to work for the City of McAllen. The hardest part of my job was taking the passport photos for the little ones. Many times the children would cry and scream because they didn't want to take the pictures. At the end of the day with a lollipop in hand they would give us the opportunity to take the picture.The City of McAllen was a good place to work. The hours worked were too much for me and my family.
Cons
Not enough pay
Good benefits thats about it
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXOctober 26, 2017
Think twice about working in the transportation department (Metro). There is alot of favoritism between management and employees. Hourly pay is 13.44 with no raise.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Management is very unprofessional.

Want to know more about City of McAllen?

Ask a question
secure job
Sanitation dept heavy equipment operator (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXOctober 23, 2017
its all about politics, if you know someone you might move up, but if you don't just forget it, even if you are a great employee and are qualified to be more, that is always overlooked. almost zero appreciation.
Pros
secure paycheck, benefits and perks
Cons
zero appreciation, treat you like a toddler, no professionalism
Busy
Assistant to the City Manager (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXOctober 12, 2017
I was the assistant to the City Manager and was responsible for City Council meeting preparation. It was a very fast paced, constantly changing environment. Great boss!
productive
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXSeptember 30, 2017
good starter job great wrk enviroment people friendly management is by far the best ive wrk with in a long time..my immediate supervisor is one of a few n understands his employees needa
Great place to work as a younger kid or adult.
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXSeptember 16, 2017
My time spent as a City of Mcallen lifeguard was one of the best times in my life and I wouldn't change it for the world. As surprising as it might seem, there was a lot to learn.
Pros
good people, good work environment, outdoor word
Cons
kids and their parents
Productive and great place to gain experience.
Information Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  1300 W Houston AveSeptember 13, 2017
I would work four hours day for three days out of the week and would research html and javascript to better my skills in web designing. I would also make interactive charts for the city.
Fun
INTERN (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXAugust 23, 2017
It has an amazing work environment and i would recommend people to work here. Great pay and schedule. Management works with you. they are reasonable and i have learned a lot.
management needs help but the staff is great
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXAugust 21, 2017
I would either teach swim lesson in the morning or evening, sometimes both. Then guard regular pool hours. On the weekends there will be parties and sometimes I would have to work all day straight and then work a party at night. Management lacks the ability to lead their lifeguards. In general the whole staff is pretty close and that is why managers don't really care about the place. Some can even talk down to you if they feel like it. the hardest part of the job was the heat because we were are in the heat 24/7 there is no air conditioning and the refrigerators are the pools barely work. Besides all of that the best part of the job is getting to know the staff they are very friendly and fun to hang out with. since they are with each other most of the time, it is easy to always hang with them outside of the pool hours.
good place to work
Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TX 78501August 8, 2017
I learn nothing here supervisors care about them self only and not the employees, they hold employees back. don't let them grow with the city and they only teach you so much just to get by
Teamwork between departments/business units
Water Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXAugust 7, 2017
Benefits, overall, Immediate supervisor’s respect for your ideas, The work itself (it is interesting, challenging, exciting, Job-specific training, Relationships with co-workers.
Busy multitask environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJuly 25, 2017
I loved working with the people around there and the board members. It was a lot of work which I was used to multitasking and my co-workers were nice and professional, good people to work with.
Cons
Not enough pay