CITY OF MESQUITE Employee Reviews

Enjoyed working there
Senior Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXMay 8, 2018
Very slow pace, not very challenging. The managers were very strict and followed department rules that they created. Managers wrote you up for minor things.
it was ok
Parks Grounds Main. Tech. (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXApril 23, 2018
indeed made me make a review that has a minimum of 150 characters and im just trying to fit as much filler as possible. the city of mesquite is in texas
Fun work place
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXApril 11, 2018
I really enjoyed my coworkers. We had a good working environment and we acted like family. I am still in contact with many of my former coworkers and sometimes we still have lunch together.
Pros
Nice workplace
Cons
Stressful at times
easy going
Supervisor; Kevin Southard (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXApril 8, 2018
Job was easy going. not a lot of stress. most employees did their job without conflict or drama. I had one of the best manager and assistant managers you could ask for.
Pros
no pressure on repairs to equipment worked on
Cons
I had none
Food and Beverage (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXMarch 10, 2018
If you live here, you have good benefits of working in the city. You get discounts in the city for working. The pay is not bad too and you get raises too.
No future advancement or advantage for internal employees
Manager (Current Employee) –  757 N.Galloway Mesquite 75149March 7, 2018
Working here would not add much experience and the only reason people tend to stay here is because of the retirement benefits. Nepotism is a big in here even if you have education and/or experience you won't be considered for any internal position. They have too much unnecessary rules and regulations which is only applicable for certain people, upper management can certainly get away without having to go through "RULES". if you are looking for career advancement then this is not the place but rather if you are looking for a stable job then this would be a good place for you.
Pros
Easy job and less stress
Cons
No value for their employees
Always busy and enjoying the Senior Citizens
Recreation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Goodbar Senior CenterJanuary 24, 2018
Would continue to work there if there would be more room for advancement within the city with in the Parks and Rec department,
I enjoy working with and around the senior citizens, always busy. I love driving the seniors on trips and enjoying their company. My boss is great and a fun to work for ~ we have well oil group of employees at our senior center.
Pros
Learn something new everyday.
Never a dull moment
Housing Occupancy Technician (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXNovember 30, 2017
Typical day at work was fast paced and busy
I learned to focus on the end result
Management was good
workplace culture is very open
the hardest part of the job was dealing with angry people
the most enjoyable part of the job was helping the elderly.
Pros
own office
Cons
stressful
Fun, fast paced work environment
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXSeptember 25, 2017
Great beginner job but other cities in the area pay more. Very long work days! The overall job is satisfying. The hardest part is being outdoors the whole day with short to no break.
Pros
Helping victims.
Cons
Working with immature teenagers.
Fun atmosphere for college students to work
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXSeptember 1, 2017
Great hours for people with second jobs or going to school
Very relaxed atmosphere
Not too demanding
perfect location within the city of Mesquite for Dallas County residents
Solid Municipal Work
Finance Employee (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXAugust 12, 2017
This municipality is great for entry and mid-level positions. They require a lot from you; therefore you will learn a lot. They also have good benefits such as health insurance and retirement packages.
Regular job with health benefits
Secretary (Former Employee) –  City of Mesquite, TXMay 7, 2017
The Fire Department office staff is awful. Disrepect among the secretaries is rampant. If they decide they do not want you, the whole staff will turn against you. Very negative environment.
Pros
A pay check is provided
Cons
Fire Department secretaries.
Great Job, But Don't Expect Many Hours
Lead- Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXApril 14, 2017
I have worked for the City of Mesquite for over 2 years now. It is by far the best job I have ever had, and great for a college student. The only problem is the recent hours being cut means you can only work 20 hours max a week. Other than that the starting pay is good and the people are great!
Pros
Pay, People, Kids
Cons
No Breaks, Few Hours, No Promotion Opportunities
Great place to work, best job i have had
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXMarch 30, 2017
Definitely the best job i have ever had, only bad thing is its part time, but very fun and management is also great, cant say enough about this place.
Amazing people. Great Pay
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXFebruary 13, 2017
No matter what position you have, the workers make you feel so welcome and you do so many amazing things. You get a lot of opportunities to do cool things. The pay is really good
I love working there
Public Works Construction Inspector (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXSeptember 17, 2016
I have no complaints. I have opportunities there that just a few years ago, I did not have. I weathered the Economic downturn and horrible job market for 9 years. It's the best job I have had in 10 years.
Had a lot of fun working with water and kids
Lifeguard (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXAugust 31, 2016
Super fun working everyday got a nice tan and was around beautiful children everyday that knew how to make me laugh. It was always scary trying to save someone but that what you gotta do when your a lifeguard!
Recreational Leader (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TX 75149May 2, 2016
Great place to work, great supervisors, good work life balance, plenty of opportunities to advance, great co-workers, most enjoyable part of the job is the people you meet while working there.
Good Place to work, but beware. (Budget Analyst)
Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXMarch 23, 2016
A typical day at work for the Budget Analyst consisted of approving invoices for contracts, going over contracts, helping others with issues that they might have with the budget. Year long cycles consist of setting up budgets and helping the departments set up for the next fiscal year.

I learned the MUNIS system very well.

Management for the budget office could work on their communication skills. More often than not the management staff would not communicate their desires effectively. Co-Workers are some of the best people that you will work with.

The hardest part about this job is keeping busy. There are times that you will be done with work and there will be nothing that you can help with. If you can't find anything to do they will hit you with a "loafing" violation.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the work life balance. The job is 8-5 and once it hits 5, you can go home and not worry.
Pros
The employees are some of the best people that you will work with, Work is mainly 8-5 with an hour break for lunch
Cons
The compensation is lacking, the benefits are lacking, there is no upward movement within the city, You will have to stay in a position at least 10 years before you can be considered a higher position, Lateral movement is limited, Training at the City of Mesquite is almost nonexistent
Great Career
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJanuary 27, 2016
Wonderful place to build a career. A lot of room for advancement and you can easily switch departments. Job security. Great Training.
Pros
Great hours and benefits
Cons
Less pay than in private sector