City of Milwaukee

City of Milwaukee insights

What people like
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Fair pay for job

Great coo workers

Great co workers. No support from City HeadsDirect supervisors were more concerned with promotion than employees. You can do everything the correct way, but still be in the doghouse. The best thing is the line co workers are always willing to help you out

Pros

Good pay

Cons

No support from citizens

Excellent all the way around

You can move up and management is great. Everyone is willing to offer support and give you all the tools you need to make sure you get the job done right.

Pros

Most everything

Cons

Outdated buildings, offices

Work environment

Miss some of my co workers.. plowing snow.. racking up leaves.. trash collecting.. with recycling. Working in sewer.. just overall okay experience working there

Pros

Learning new equipment to drive

Cons

Management, don't over see everyone situation..

Managers are untrusting

You get no backing or support from management.Don't ever have someone in your family come deathly I'll because they won't support you or you family.I could go on but very simply put, if you want to sell yourself out go work for the city and good luck

Pros

Its a job

Cons

Too many to list

Biggest disapointment in my career.

Almost every day is the same, the city is stuck 30+ years in the past. This is a great place to learn about the history of old technology and to see first hand the wasteful spending fueled by bad decision making and slow to if not impossible to change mentality, management makes decisions without any real factual basis or knowledge of the effects of those decisions. The only time anyone tries to do something right is when the light is shinned on it by someone in the media or a person higher up the food-chain decides it is an important project to focus(until they loose interest)on. The hardest part is the realization that you are stuck in a place you can't make better because everyone will do their best to stop anything from changing, the despair you feel when your start to accept that everyone is in it for themselves and nobody will lift a finger to help you(even if you can prove your are right, it doesn't matter). Your pay will stay where it was when you started,(unless your have some influential friends) and the poo really does roll down hill. There are a lot of really good people here but everyone who stays looses their sense of self and independence for fear of being targeted for not conforming to the city way...

Pros

Job security, just get past probation and your are safe...

Cons

The list is just too long...

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

Excellent Culture, outstanding leadership

Recently started with Housing Authority in Public Safety , leadership is outstanding , excellent team/Family culture . Sky is the limit, I get to serve my community with pride .

Pros

Great Leadership, Positive work atmosphere

Cons

90 day wait on new uniforms

Flexibility

Worked for 4 supervisors; relaxing environment; friendly atmosphere; answer phones and emails; schedule meetings; filing; order office supplies; handle mail; secretary of a city Board

Pros

Benefits; flexibility

Cons

Traffic

You can raise a family

Need to increase pay, benefits keep going up. No cost of living raise, no annual raises. Management plays favoritism. If you're looking to provide for your family its a good job.

Benefits

Cons

No increas in pay.

Management is unresponsive to group needs

Management has a seniority approach to filling jobs. Unqualified people get positions based on seniority rather than ability. In the last 6 years no one from our group ever received training for their job and, consequently, the group continues to suffer from poor decisions made by people without training. The competent people end up having to do the work of the incompetent people causing great stress for them as they do the work of 2 positions.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Poor management

Not productive fun work place

Love customer service and dealing with public. High turn over rate no room for advancement. Poor supervision guidance and not informative. Needs better training program and more knowledge Of policy and procedures.

Pros

Self help programs

Cons

Short breaks, expensive healthcare, and poor vacation authorization and no wage increases

Good and the bads

Ive learned in working in didnt fields your gonna have to adjust and deal with the work and leave the feelings at home the job doesn’t take breaks because you have a mishap in life

All "back-stabers"

Milwaukee is a sewer and its getting to be a cess-pool or even a swamp. To many supervisors on the MPD are sleeping with the wives of patrolmen. Don't believe me? I have pictures!!

Good part-time work

Good job for someone looking for part-time work, or in between jobs. Limited hours. Also good for retirees or someone that has to get children to school anyway.

Good to work with

Tough me a lot about organizing and processing ,customers services, and dealing with customers with bad attitude and making them feel better afterwards

Great benefits but tough culture

I loved working for the city and benefit package, but the culture was not my speed and sometimes sexist...might be better in different departments though.

Good job. But tough on family and mental health.

Special job for the right person. Can make a good person go bad. Too many scenes that the average person should not see. Most officers say after a few years that the job sucks. Too much negativity from the command staff. I after three years old retirement still have dreams of the bs I put up with.

It’s a great place to work

I wish they would hire me back again. Because it was a good beginning when I started working there back in 2017, and wouldn’t mind coming back.I really don’t have anything else to say about the City of Milwaukee’but’good things

I love working for the city of milwaukee!!!

I love working for the city of milwaukee.im not in no office or factory!!!im at different locations all over the city.i enjoy working in different elements of weather.meeting new people in the public eye and at WORK,believe it or not it's like a family.i learn alot of things each day,gives me experience,and value!!!i like that the city

Good group of coworkers, Fair wages for new people.

Overall, decent place to work. Winters are tough working with water in the freezing temps. The payscale needs to be boosted up for the mid-management as the responsibilities are extensive.

Pros

Coworkers, daily work loads

Cons

On Call winter schedule. payscale

Good job

I’m satisfied with the work and opportunity for advancement within the company. I will recommend anyone to apply for all openings within the city for employment.

Can be a safe place in office setting , but field work can be time consuming.

It is a position that requires energy, rest, knowledge, and love of the community. What I notice is there is a shortage of workers, for the most part, it is rewarding.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Milwaukee. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Learn about City of Milwaukee in popular locations