City Of Minneapolis Employee Reviews

good job
PW Service Worker Trainee - Street Department (Former Employee) –  minneapolisNovember 13, 2018
Good job with decent pay and great benefits, and opportunities to advance. poor management and work culture. Broken systems that are ignored because they've been that way for so long
Consultant with flexible work schedule
Property Services Consultant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 15, 2018
Client of Excellence and open for innovative and effective results

Open Culture

Government entity work style.

Getting in-touch with the correct resources.
Pros
Friendly and helpful co-workers
Cons
n/a
A nice place to work
Digital Press Operator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 27, 2018
A nice place to work, Wish I could have caught on after 13 months. I worked very hard to try and get employed. But a spot never came up, And my contract was not renewed. Very disapointing
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Contract/No time off
Tough but Rewarding
911 Operator/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  City HallNovember 7, 2018
I was a 911 Operator/Dispatcher for 17 years. Training was very thorough plus there was occasional updated training. This certainly wasn't boring. Everyday was different, you were constantly learning something new. It was tough but incredibly rewarding. It is a 24/7 workplace therefore you are working weekends and holidays. Lots of overtime available. Co-workers would make turkey dinner/potluck when scheduled on Thanksgiving, so really, you can make the most out of a schedule that seems to conflict with the rest of the 9 to 5 world.
Pros
good pay, good benefits
Cons
paying for parking
Police officer
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  City Hall-MinneapolisNovember 1, 2018
Worked 10 hour shift. Answering 911 call of a wide variety which also included traffic enforcement. Many hours of in service training and firearm training..we are licensed police Officer per Minnesota law.
Pros
Never know what is around the corner.....everyday is different
Cons
More pay
Count bicycles and pedestrians
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 18, 2018
Every year I am assigned to a specific inteersection in Minneapolis. I sit at this location for two hours and count the numbeer of bicycles, scooters, motorcycles, and pedestrians that pass through my two focal points. I then report my total counts back to the city. They use thesse numbers to determine if more bicycle/pedestrian paths aare needed.
Great Job/Too Much Bueraucracy
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 8, 2018
Great job working as an electrician for Traffic Engineering and great people to work with except for a few. Those few are the ones who are hired on permanently and do not posses the knowledge, skill, (and sadly) or certifications to perform their work. Most of the new construction of infrastructure is done by private contractors with no accountability for inspections much less, the work being done properly and according to specifications or code. There is very little proactive maintenance and the majority of the work is reactive to repair crumbling and failing infrastructure.
Pros
Great people with the exception of poor management
Cons
a few unqualified people who can put your life at risk.
working
operations maintenance specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 22, 2018
the city in the begining was a beautiful job with a lot of hope the employees were happy the work was that hard and it gave me the ability to create the best customer service that anyone could ever recieve
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
new management was terrible
City of Minneapolis - City Coordinator department (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 7, 2018
The best part of my job was the really fantastic people I got to work with. And it was great to always be working on a lot of different projects over the years.
Meh
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 20, 2018
I used to like working here but after 10+ years, I've grown tired of the same issues re: culture, accountability, and lack of growth opportunities. You really have to be a dedicated public servant to endure the Culture of Mediocrity that exists here.
Pros
Pay and benefits are good; mission and work is very interesting
Cons
Limited advancement; professional development; underperforming employees
Na
Accounts Payable Clerk - Contract (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 6, 2018
I was only a temporary person filling in for a person an health issue leave, So I was not there very long and was not going to be hired on permanently.
Meh
Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 11, 2018
Wasn't there long enough to give a thorough review. People were nice, office was nice, however, it operated like a typical bureaucracy, they literally used a manual stamp that was probably around since WWII for documents.
Meaningful work, ability to make a difference
Public Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 22, 2018
This was a great place to start my career in public service. I enjoyed working with inspiring colleagues in City Hall and felt appreciated for my contributions. It was a very professional work environment.
Pros
Important, meaningful work
Cons
I was not a Minneapolis resident at the time and some people frowned on that
Regulatory Services Dept. - City of Minneapolis
Lead Housing Inspector (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 24, 2018
Working for the city in the appropriate role and capacity was extremely rewarding, and I was given a great deal of autonomy to develop a program as I saw fit. That being said, management is fairly disconnected from the work of their staff and overall I found there was resistance to change and innovation on behalf of more tenured staff. There are many opportunities to affect change, though you need to be diligent to see things through. Benefits were fantastic, work days were fairly self structured, and overall it was a very stable workplace. My biggest issues came with the management of my department and inability to provide sufficient leadership and direction.
Pros
Vacation Time, Health Insurance, Retirement Benefits
Cons
Management, Workplace Culture
Its government
Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 2, 2018
Every stereotype you have heard about government is true.
Management is here to babysit.
Culture- look out for yourself and your buddies.
Listening to upper management trying to remember what their mission statement is.
The most enjoyable part of the day is going home.
Good place to work and friendly
Account Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 6, 2018
3.5 stars out of 5 Management can do a better job of everyday tasks and to keep morale up. I guess I need to remain neutral when talking about the City
Pros
no pros
Cons
no cons
Overall great place to work
Executive Director CPED (Former Employee) –  City Hall, Minneapolis MinnesotaMay 1, 2018
The City of Minneapolis had a strong culture and a highly complex political environment. Typical date at work involved meetings with department heads, elected officials, the Mayor, developers, community and civic leaders.
Pros
good salary and benefits
Cons
to many meetings
Very Productive
Fire Captain (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 23, 2018
Minneapolis Fire was a great organization to work for. Very professional with great opportunities for advancement. The work was very rewarding. Employee's are encouraged to learn and develop better skills, knowledge, and abilities through ongoing training programs.
Pros
Comraderie
Other Departments may be fine to work in, but where I work is highly Mismanaged
911 Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 18, 2018
Upper management does not listen to those who are doing the job. Due to low moral, high amounts of Overtime, and several other factors several employees are actively seeking other employment. Other departments may be fine to work for but not the one I work in.
Fun experience
Student Election Judge (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 2, 2018
I worked a 16 hour shift for the election and It didn't even feel like 16 hours. Time flies when you're having fun. Other judges are nice so it's fun to just engage in friendly conversation.
Pros
long breaks, relaxed environment