City Of Minneapolis Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Na
Accounts Payable Clerk - Contract (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 6, 2018
I was only a temporary person filling in for a person an health issue leave, So I was not there very long and was not going to be hired on permanently.
Its government
Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 2, 2018
Every stereotype you have heard about government is true.
Management is here to babysit.
Culture- look out for yourself and your buddies.
Listening to upper management trying to remember what their mission statement is.
The most enjoyable part of the day is going home.
Regulatory Services Dept. - City of Minneapolis
Lead Housing Inspector (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 24, 2018
Working for the city in the appropriate role and capacity was extremely rewarding, and I was given a great deal of autonomy to develop a program as I saw fit. That being said, management is fairly disconnected from the work of their staff and overall I found there was resistance to change and innovation on behalf of more tenured staff. There are many opportunities to affect change, though you need to be diligent to see things through. Benefits were fantastic, work days were fairly self structured, and overall it was a very stable workplace. My biggest issues came with the management of my department and inability to provide sufficient leadership and direction.
Pros
Vacation Time, Health Insurance, Retirement Benefits
Cons
Management, Workplace Culture
Meaningful work, ability to make a difference
Public Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 22, 2018
This was a great place to start my career in public service. I enjoyed working with inspiring colleagues in City Hall and felt appreciated for my contributions. It was a very professional work environment.
Pros
Important, meaningful work
Cons
I was not a Minneapolis resident at the time and some people frowned on that
Good place to work and friendly
Account Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 6, 2018
3.5 stars out of 5 Management can do a better job of everyday tasks and to keep morale up. I guess I need to remain neutral when talking about the City
Pros
no pros
Cons
no cons
Overall great place to work
Executive Director CPED (Former Employee) –  City Hall, Minneapolis MinnesotaMay 1, 2018
The City of Minneapolis had a strong culture and a highly complex political environment. Typical date at work involved meetings with department heads, elected officials, the Mayor, developers, community and civic leaders.
Pros
good salary and benefits
Cons
to many meetings
Very Productive
Fire Captain (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 23, 2018
Minneapolis Fire was a great organization to work for. Very professional with great opportunities for advancement. The work was very rewarding. Employee's are encouraged to learn and develop better skills, knowledge, and abilities through ongoing training programs.
Pros
Comraderie
Other Departments may be fine to work in, but where I work is highly Mismanaged
911 Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 18, 2018
Upper management does not listen to those who are doing the job. Due to low moral, high amounts of Overtime, and several other factors several employees are actively seeking other employment. Other departments may be fine to work for but not the one I work in.
Fun experience
Student Election Judge (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 2, 2018
I worked a 16 hour shift for the election and It didn't even feel like 16 hours. Time flies when you're having fun. Other judges are nice so it's fun to just engage in friendly conversation.
Pros
long breaks, relaxed environment
internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-St Paul ARS, MNFebruary 27, 2018
Assisted the employment team in creating a stronger relationship with employers including, but not limited to Identified the right employers, reaching out and marketing clients’ skills.
Organized and co-facilitated financial literacy training once a month
worked with the people
Administrator of Accounts (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, KSJanuary 13, 2018
I enjoyed working with the citizens. I was very busy and enjoyed working with the people of the community. Holidays off and very little overtime was needed.
Pros
great insurance benefits, very family oriented
Cons
managerial integrety and low appreciation, low communication
Election Judge
Head Election Judge (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 5, 2018
Fun opportunity to get involved and help out. Can be volunteer or paid. Usually a few training sessions and then one long day on Election Day - 6am to 10pm.
Great Place to work
Sr. Project Coordinator, Residential Finance (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 26, 2017
The City of Minneapolis is a great place to work. It has great benefits, fair pay, and great work life balance. The city needs to prepare for when older employees retire and they take their knowledge with them.
short staffed
Police and Fire Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 17, 2017
I enjoy the work I do however the staffing and expectations placed on employees in the 911 center is unattainable. They are perpetually short staffed. Forced overtime. Takes away from family life and children if you have them. The salary and benefits are great. If you enjoy helping people in life threatening situations and the general public this is also a great place for you to work.
Pros
great pay, good benefits
Cons
long hours, mandatory overtime
This is a good place to work for.
Senior Systems Analyst/PeopleSoft Administrator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 14, 2017
It was a good place to work. Management were helpful and left you alone to do your work. Everyone seemed to enjoy their work and easily to get along with. Benefits were good. Everyone wanted to do the best possible job Minneapolis.
Open to remote work
Sr. Oracle BPM, SOA Developer (Former Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 16, 2017
Excellent work location if commuting and working remote. Not cutting edge technology as most government facilities. But dependable work and technology.
Pros
Open to remote work
Cons
Onsite if needed
Intern for City of Minneapolis
Urban Scholar Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 13, 2017
I worked at the Minneapolis Convention Center for the City of Minneapolis Urban Scholars Program ! My job duties consisted of working with various departments such as Event Services Human Resources, and Security! I worked with HR to develop a job shadowing program for employees looking to move up the ladder in the work space and also hired contractors to come in to do decorating with my ideas to create a better work environment. I created spreadsheets for Security to create a more cohesive security procedure while also acting as a administratve assistant !
Great
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 23, 2017
I worked as a research assistant with the city of Minneapolis. This position involved GIS work and helping set up data for the City's Comprehensive Plan.
great work culture
Criminal Investigator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 9, 2017
Great office to work for. Continually challenged and asked for input on implementing changes within the organization.

Management is striving to better the culture and work environment and offers several office sponsored gatherings allowing for a connected workforce.
Fun environment
Recreation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 28, 2017
I love my job and the things i do with the company. the kids are amazon, they love when i cook and help them with their homework. I just wish i can be a full-time employee instead of part time. but i love my work and i do it well.
Pros
some down time.
Cons
having a lot of rentals in one day.