City of New Haven Employee Reviews

No Job security
Outreach worker (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 25, 2017
In terms of the job itself I enjoyed every minute of it. Funding and mismanagemegnt of funds to keep the program running both on a state and local levels was always challenging
lifeguard
Lifeguard (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 11, 2017
I really like working with the City of New Haven. Co-workers were good and so was my supervisor. The only thing was the paid should be the same for all lifeguards. We are all giving up our life to save others.
Pros
great job
Cons
paid
Band Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 10, 2017
It offered a growing environment. I was placed inside of a local high school where I was the band assistant. It was a very productive environment that had a balance of new experiences and old habits.
Special Educator Building Leader
Summer Studies Program Building Leader (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 22, 2017
Working for the City of New Haven was my first experience as a building leader. The support I received from the administration was more than I expected. Although I was given specific goals and objectives, I was also given the space to develop a program which focused on the needs of the students during the summer program.
Very fun
Library Aide (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 13, 2017
I had fun working here. The people are very nice and I learned a lot. It is a very reputable company to work for with great perks and benefits. I enjoyed my time there.
Good job to have
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  One union ave new haven CtJune 15, 2017
Good city to work for in my 20 plus years there I enjoyed my time working as a police officer ,working with the officers and the community was the best time working for the city of new haven
Pros
Good pension
Cons
Good job experience
Great place to work!
Custodian (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutApril 26, 2017
I would strip and waxs floors in the summer and clean schools winter, summer, and fall. I also cleaned bathrooms and grounds while preforming other maintenance duties.
Job Summary
Business Manager\Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 22, 2017
My daily routine is as follows: I have two offices one office is in the Budget Office where I assume the duties of a Financial Analyst. I put together the City's Five Year Capital Spending Plan. My other main function is doing expenditure forecasting for the City on a long term basis.

I also have an Office in The New Haven Public Library. I am the Business Manager for the City's five branch library system. I am in charge if Procurement, Payroll, Budget, Treasury and Facilities Management.

So my time is split in between these two major functions for the City.
New system upgrades
Project Lead (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 17, 2017
Microsoft environment; new products, Power BI, Asset Works(asset management), Integration of MUNIS(financial system). Have access to multiple data collections system to track financial information for assets and workforce related resources. Management is open to new ideas.
Pros
Close to home, assist the community
Cons
Few growth opportunities
productive
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 7, 2017
i enjoyed working at these company only wish i could have been permanent. management was great enjoyed working for them. the time was flexible. the work was challenging
Pros
birthdays had off with pay
Cons
short breaks
No Room for advancement
Fiscal (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 17, 2017
Unless you move to another Department or Change job titles there is absolutely no room for advancement.
-If you are a special Funds employee you have no pension.
Extra ordinary work place with great comand staff.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 10, 2017
Amazing learning experience with incredible staff that go above and beyond to ensure everyone's success. A company that strives on education for the betterment of the future.
Pros
Education
Cons
unexpected long hours
Academic Coordinator in a learning lab
Academic Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 2, 2016
Typical day involves working with students who come into the learning lab in need of extra help with any subject or to have a quiet space to take a test and to be focused on their tasks. Usually no more than 10 students come to the learning lab a day. The High School where I am currently working has four different academies. The Business and Fine Arts academy is the academy that I work for, and part of my responsibility is to make sure that the students in the BFA academy are on track to having a successful school year. Other responsibilities are to remain in contact with the Assistant Principal for the academy as well as the Student Intervention Specialist and the guidance counselors to make sure that we are all on the same page with regards to our students. The hardest part is bringing the students into the learning lab. It was a very slow start in the beginning of the year and the pace has been picking up. To stay busy, I have created a spreadsheet for the Asst. Principal of the academy showing the students who need to build up their credits, and students who are in ninth grade who are failing more than three classes. The data shows what we need to work on as a team to better guide our students in the right direction.
Pros
Relationships and alliance being built with students.
Cons
only a part-time job; not very challenging
They have a staying alive program
Parks and Recreation Worker (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 12, 2016
The program was about keeping people alive and we have luncheon also.Every body got along well. Never any conflicts.We worked and got the tasks done.
Pros
We have to buy our own lunch
Cons
30 minutes
Very productive atmosphere
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 7, 2016
- Cleaning up each street.
- I've learned structure of a team.
- Met a lot of influential people.
- Keeping the streets the way we left them
- the learning expierence
Pros
Free lunches, Extra lunch, and Decent breaks
Cons
Job ended to early!
fun and productive work enviroment
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 12, 2016
take attendance
give out daily assignments
supervise team
prepare power points
distribute cash for purchase of inventory
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short program
It was an ok place to work
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 16, 2015
My only enjoyable part of work with CAA was being able to help the community. I enjoyed being a Case Worker but the staff at times weren't too friendly. I learned to have lots of patience working in an environment like CAA.
Fair, once you understand bureaucracy
multiple positions (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 9, 2015
Demanding, as are all government positions, but fair. Must understand how bureaucracy works and be patient with multiple layers of red tape.
Produtive workplace
Lunch Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 31, 2014
Nice and full of enjoyment. I learned about what the students like to eat and don't like to eat .The management is really nice . My co-workers and I work very well together. There is nothing really hard about the job. The most part I enjoy is to see the students happy.
Pros
Free lunches, The students get a choice of what they want to eat.
Cons
Not enough time with the students.
Very good work environment and staff
PEO - PARKING ENFORCEMENT OFFICER (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CT.July 17, 2014
Job was 9 to 5 , sometimes overtime was available. Worked under all weather conditions. Walked for about 8 hours a day and very customer service oriented. Hardest part of the job, trying to please the public. Management was always available when needed even in emergency situations. The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers worked well together and also enjoyed working alone most of the time.