City of New Haven Employee Reviews

Fast paced environmen
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 4, 2019
a very busy work place. not too many opportunities for growth, great medical benefits. 35 hour week and paid holidays. updated electronics and great technical support
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
not too much room for growth
Very fast paced
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 7, 2019
Excellent medical benefits. Weekly pay, holidays off. Centrally located right downtown with access to amazing food places. Parking can be a problem, very expensive
Pros
Cons
Traffic
public safety room in the police department
dispatcher (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTFebruary 15, 2019
Coworkers call out, repeatedly - often, the same offenders, and you get mandated to stay 16 hours (often missing your family's events - e.g. recitals, school dance, play, nana's 90th birthday party, grandparents' 50th anniversary, surprise parties, date night with your spouse that required reservations and the list goes on)! Sometimes, they would even call out in groups (up to five at a time to take their children trick or treating or go to a party/function together only to have no disciplinary action taken by management). Someone from the public safety room died, no one got the day off when dispatchers from other police departments all over called in to cover the shifts, voluntarily (thank you so much to all the dispatchers for your willingness to help during our time of bereavement), only to be declined by management - we attended the service in brief shifts also known as on our break unless you requested the day off and management did not believe in giving too many people the same day off. I stand corrected - all the supervisors belonging to the public safety room were granted the same day off because management would pull a dispatcher to supervise, then mandate another dispatcher or dispatcher assistant be held over to fill that open dispatcher position they (management) created. An officer died, the chief gave all the officers the day off and all three shifts were covered by volunteers from other police departments all over (which, by the way, was a beautiful thing - thank you to all those officers and state troopers). Yes, you guessed it, there are more officers than dispatchers  more... and dispatcher assistants and less public safety supervisors than dispatchers and dispatcher assistants. You do the math  less
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
management and stress
Productive and fun workplace environment
Lieutenant Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Hamden, CTNovember 17, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my experience . I was qualified as primary driver on both fire Engine and Fire Aerial trucks throughout my 20 plus years of service as well as a EMT. My Job as a rank firefighter was more labor intensive while being promoted to Lieutenant was rewarding because of the preparation and training of recruits and rank and file
Pros
Fun atmosphere, career advancement, lifelong friendships
Great place
City Plan Intern (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 8, 2018
The people I worked with here were great and I learned a lot. Took me out to lunch at the end of the summer which was greatly appreciated and helped me feel part of the team.
Civil Servant
911 Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 7, 2018
Good place to work Great Career be ready to work alot. Life changing career for both better and worse.
Once in a Police Career always in a Police Career forever defined by the Blue
Pros
Civil Servant
Cons
Can be life altering
This was a municipal job.
Financial Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  200 Orange Street, New Haven, CT 06511October 12, 2018
The City of New Haven offers excellent benefits. However, I found none of my positions there satisfying. I was happy to leave the City.

The City of New Haven might be a good place to work for a conventional person.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor management
It’s a very challenging and competitive environment.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 4, 2018
Every day while working within the City of New Haven was always a challenge but an opportunity to learn about the men and women I worked with. The department like any organization has its infrastructural issues. It was a pleasant environment to have worked in.
Pros
Great men and women to have known.
Cons
Need more integration between community and policing.
Commanding Officer Uniformed Services Division (Former Employee) –  New Haven ConnecticutAugust 3, 2018
I enjoyed being a Police Officer and worked hard to ascend to the position of Commanding Officer. I gave a 100% to the City and to every job I have ever had.
Good
Cons
NOne
Loved my job
PARA Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 27, 2018
Loved having the opportunity to work with children, and help in advancing them in different areas. Would have loved if the opportunity permitted to work more hours l.
Opportuniies for Growth
Accounts Payable Analyst (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 16, 2018
I was the Payroll/ Accounts Payable Specialist
I learned how to collect timesheet form construction workers on job sites, go to meeting pertaining to upcoming projects and the expectancy of job specs and job permeants.
Very diverse workplace with union benefits.
Accuracy of Work permits was very complicated
Working with different people and learning a different aspect of the job..
Pros
Guidelines and Metting Delines
Cons
No lunch and long hours
I worked at City of New Haven, CT
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 21, 2018
Low salary Sometimes your input is ignored, You may be thrown in to other classrooms, Working with young people there good and bad issue in and out.
Pros
Fun Job and good people
Cons
must like fun job and laughing
I love my job , stress free work on my own pace never supervised I LOVE IT
New Haven (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 16, 2018
I love this JOB.
My boss is the best, very strict but the very kind.
I love and enjoy working with these kids, every one has a different disability, i learn from them.
No Job security
Outreach worker (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 25, 2017
In terms of the job itself I enjoyed every minute of it. Funding and mismanagemegnt of funds to keep the program running both on a state and local levels was always challenging
lifeguard
Lifeguard (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 11, 2017
I really like working with the City of New Haven. Co-workers were good and so was my supervisor. The only thing was the paid should be the same for all lifeguards. We are all giving up our life to save others.
Pros
great job
Cons
paid
Band Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 10, 2017
It offered a growing environment. I was placed inside of a local high school where I was the band assistant. It was a very productive environment that had a balance of new experiences and old habits.
Special Educator Building Leader
Summer Studies Program Building Leader (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 22, 2017
Working for the City of New Haven was my first experience as a building leader. The support I received from the administration was more than I expected. Although I was given specific goals and objectives, I was also given the space to develop a program which focused on the needs of the students during the summer program.
Very fun
Library Aide (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 13, 2017
I had fun working here. The people are very nice and I learned a lot. It is a very reputable company to work for with great perks and benefits. I enjoyed my time there.
great experience
STUDENT WORKER (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 3, 2017
operate office equipment such as fax machines, and copiers
mail newsletters, promotional material, or other information. cleaning the work station, and interacting with other employees.
Good job to have
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  One union ave new haven CtJune 15, 2017
Good city to work for in my 20 plus years there I enjoyed my time working as a police officer ,working with the officers and the community was the best time working for the city of new haven
Pros
Good pension
Cons
Good job experience