City of Newport News Employee Reviews in Newport News, VA

Good benefits
Trades Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 8, 2019
Secure job with retirement. Advancement can be hard for some Divisions. Pay could be better but the trade off is in the benefits. I work independently but I'll ask and get help when I need it. If you do your job and stay out of trouble you'll get along fine.
Pros
Paid holidays, vacation, sick leave
Cons
Some departments it hard to advance.
Okay
Recreation Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 5, 2019
It could have been better. I didn’t have a supportive manager. This does not speak for the entire city however. I would have loved being able to stay on board. Many internal changes.
Pros
Fairly flexible
Cons
Bored most times. Not very challenging.
Great place
Marina Attendant (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 22, 2019
The City of Newport News was a very relaxing place to work. They had a very approachable managment team. They would always talk to you and find ways to make NNPR a better place. I recommend this place to anyone.
Job Security
Police Aide (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 27, 2019
The health insurance is great. Job security is good. But it is a city job. And the pay is low. The city has budget cuts and eliminating raises are always the first way to cut costs.
Family friendly
Library Technician II (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 25, 2019
All around the city of Newport News is a wonderful city to work for just wish that they had a little bit more Advancementfor the position that I'm in but we do get along well and customer service is excellent
Productive fast paced environment
Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 31, 2019
A typical day at the city of Newport News would include structured activity designed to build mental capacity for young adults. I learned how to collaborate with co-workers to complete a task. The workplace is friendly. I didn't have any issues in that department. The hardest part of the job was the continuous mandatory overtime and the rigorous schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job was educating young adults on the importance of mental health.
Pros
Benefits, job security
Cons
short breaks, mandatory overtime, rigorous schedule
Not supportive
Human Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newport NewsJanuary 26, 2019
Staff at this agency do not like to work here. Management does not seem to know or care about how their employees feel. There is no job security and most people carry out their duties as if they have no hope.
productive trade and giving back to community
Landscaping (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 2, 2019
A typical day working for newport news Landscaping consisted of everyone coming in at 7:00 to 7:15 and filling up your gallon water jug with the Ice and water they provide from the shed to keep you cool on the Hot summer days. Everyone was very friendly and was willing to help you understand how to work any type of lawn equipment which was needed that day. The hardest part of the job may have been just the heat during the summer and have to maintain the jeans dress code.The most enjoyable part has have had to be getting to know everyone and leaning quality skills that will help me later on in life.
My department was very productive, a little challenging at times, but a wonderful place of employment.
Assisted Buyer (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 16, 2018
I truly enjoyed working with City of Newport News, fellow employees, and I had an excellent boss. She was very professional, smart, a people's person, fare pay in my job title, and permitted job training. My commute was a little long, but well worth it.
Excellent
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 29, 2018
This was a bitter/sweet job for me; however I loved helping people and making a difference. I wish I had a different trainer but overall it was a tough job and salute all dispatch as well as the entire first responded team fire, medic, dispatch and police.
Pros
all positive
Cons
nothing negative
hard work
Operations Worker (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 25, 2018
just have to follow policy there because they are very strict of that and you have to be a one because if not they will get rid of you with no hestation at all ive seen it for me self
Good place to have a part-time job
Recreation Counselor (Former Employee) –  Recretion Center in Newport News, VAAugust 16, 2018
Great job environment working with special needs clients ( children and adults). Very structured environment. Had outing for client about every 2 weeks such as movies, outings to zoo, boat outings to watch dophins, Mount Trashmore for picnics, and Busch Gardens.
Pros
Working with special needs clients
Cons
A constant watch of the clients
My Review
Eligibility Worker Senior (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 25, 2018
There is room for advancement with the city of Newport news, however; I am relocating and looking for part time work at this time. I would be willing to continue if was not relocating.
Pros
Room for advancement
Lots of stress
Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 17, 2018
Job burn out will happen quickly there has to be more of a balance in the schudel. There is alot of mandatory overtime that most employees grow tired of .
Very fun atomsphere
Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 12, 2018
The City is A great place to work for with room for advancements. You may start as early as 5:45am. Management is always a phone call away. Sometimes the hardest part maybe the trainings on the weekend. The most enjoyable time are the Children that you work with on a daily base.
Pros
trips
Cons
last minute changes but not always
Challenging work schedules
Generator Specialist (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 30, 2018
Great place to work but there was little oppurtunity for advancement. There was no manufacture training on newly installed equipment. The daily work scheduled were very relaxed.
benefits
Cons
advancement
Low pay but easy job
Right of Way Construction Inspector (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 17, 2018
Seriously though. Do you want an easy job that pays enough to put food on the table? This is your place. Like all city jobs, its super easy, straight forward, and benefits are good. Don't look for much in the way of advancement or raises. So, unless you are single or have a two income family, job will not get you rich, pay your student debt, or allow you to live anything more than base living.
Benefits
Cons
city beauracracy
Great Place to Work
Newport News (Former Employee) –  Newport NewsJune 12, 2018
work was not stressful. I worked for the STEP program and enjoyed working with the students. It was an awesome experience and the pay was comparable to the work that we did.
They do not take care of their officers
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 15, 2018
The Newport News Police Department makes it very difficult for street officers to get time off, also many supervisors are not leaders. Job expectations are never consistent.
The work schedule is no fun
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Citu newport newsMay 14, 2018
I am currently an Electrician II for the city. The shift that this job is looking for is the weekly and weekend night shift. You will also do very little electrical work and more mechanical work.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Work hours, lack of doing electrical work, messing with sewage.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Newport News. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Newport News Reviews by Location