City of Newport News Employee Reviews for Administrative Assistant

Great Job Security
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 18, 2015
Great Job security: Considered essential personnel downside inclement weather you have to come in. With no danger or inclement weather pay. You'll have generally knowledge of the workings of law enforcement.
Pros
job security and able to attend classes
Cons
short breaks, and no inclement weather pay for essential personnel.
Excellent supervisor, good team to work with, essential personnel
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 24, 2015
My job with the police department is very interesting and I have a great team to work with. I sit at the front window in the lobby about three days a week and take crime reports, answer the telephone, and do fingerprints. One or two days a week I have a secondary job and I sit at a desk in the back office and handle all requests for accident and incident reports that are requested from insurance companies, attorneys or private citizens. The most difficult part of my job is feeling like I am not able to perform the tasks I am assigned in my secondary job. It is very difficult to accomplish the amount of requests we receive in one day. It is also difficult being essential personnel. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We work all holidays and weekends. I am very flexible in my working hours but I would like a bit more consistency. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with my co-workers and when I am able to sit at my desk and work on my secondary assignment. I am a task completer and I actually enjoy doing paperwork.I am happy working with a team or on my own. I have had to learn a tremendous amount of tasks that are performed in the records department at the police department. I went through six months of training. I do feel like the salary is not comparable to the amount of work we do, but that is not all that matters. I worked in the medical field for 23 years and that is where I feel most at home.
Pros
Fantastic supervisor, great team of co-workers
Cons
Being essential personnel and working holidays and weekends
Diverse Culture
Administrative Assistant II/Operations Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 16, 2014
A typical day at the City of Newports News would mostly consist of data entry. With the City of Newport News, I have learned the value of working in a professional environment with people from various backgrounds and skill sets. I learned the importance of time management and organization when it comes to managing time and keeping up with mutiple priorities. I value my co-workers more than anything else, they bring so much wisdom and knowlegde. The hardest part of my job is looking for growth within my department. The most enjoyable part of my job is working 7a.m.- 4p.m. Monday through Friday with weekends and most holidays off.
Pros
Benefits/co-workers
Cons
Salary/Politics
The Development Department is a very fasted paced environment.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 25, 2013
I currently work for the Department of Development where we developed new and existing business in the city. The hardest part of my day at work is dealing with irate customers who lease parking spaces.

My co-workers are easy to get along with and are definitely team players.

The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new challenges and helping customers and coworkers.
Pros
perks: