City of Newport News Employee Reviews for Counselor

3.8Pay & Benefits
3.5Job Security & Advancement
A highly stressful job that have a high turnover rate due to communication between staff and administration.
Juvenile Services Counselor (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 22, 2017
Employment with juvenile services is a very stressful job,however working with troubled adolescents must be a passion and not a job. Parks and recreation is an opportunity to explore your ability to work with the public and independently challenges you to implement new ideas and collaborate with others as well as become a team player.
Pros
Work independently, Helping adolescents that cannot help themselves, Escorting residents to positive events, And introducing residents to various cultures that enlightens their intellectual growth, Giving positive input as an option in life, And giving children the alternative of hope in a positive environment, Showing them how to take responsibility for negative behaviorals.
Cons
Seclusion, And assistance without proper break periods, Incentatives to encorage employees to chalenge themselves, Relief of mental stress during high crisis.
Team player, hard worker, motivated
Juvenile Counselor (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 10, 2012
I am cross trained with my employer so many times, I am not sure what job assignment I will have untill I get to work. My co-workers are great to work with and sometimes we do not feel appreciated. The hardest part of my job is working weekends, lack of communication and the inconsistancy. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the children
Pros
great co-workers, cheap lunch.
Cons
short breaks, working every weekend.