City of Newport News Employee Reviews for Dispatcher

Excellent
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 29, 2018
This was a bitter/sweet job for me; however I loved helping people and making a difference. I wish I had a different trainer but overall it was a tough job and salute all dispatch as well as the entire first responded team fire, medic, dispatch and police.
Pros
all positive
Cons
nothing negative
911 Dispatch
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 29, 2017
I learned to be calm in the worst of situations.

The most enjoyable part of the job was possibly knowing that I helped someone and made a difference.
Pros
Making a difference
Cons
The ones you could not help
work
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 22, 2017
Management is great. work day is 7am to 4pm . Nothing is hard about my job and I wish to follow a job into my degree. The most enjoyable part of the job is everyday is different.
great place with great people
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 12, 2016
Newport news police department and the city of Newport news welcomes new employees with open arms and there is always someone there to help you when needed.
Pleasant place to work
Operations Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 17, 2016
Excellent company to work for advancement is just a little slow. They do encourage you to express yourself and consider your suggestions.
Very dynamic
9-1-1 Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 21, 2014
It is a fun job, although very stressful at times and you must be able to multi-task. Answering 9-1-1 and nonemergency calls, being able to prioritize calls for service, and dispatching police/fire to locations is what the job entails. Coworkers are energetic and sociable. The only downfalls were mandatory overtime from 4-8.5 hours, which is difficult after staring at computer screens and multitasking for 8.5 hours already, and the high stress that comes with the job. Being responsible for officer safety and making sure to send help to the right location is very stressful. This is a thankless job, so if you are looking for recognition, this isn't the job. I loved each and every caller, no matter if they were complaining about loud noise from a neighbor, or they felt they were having a heart attack. The job is to be a problem solver, and being there for them when they need help.
Pros
dynamic, decent benefits
Cons
short breaks, stationary, high stress, rotating shifts, mandatory overtime