City of Newport News Employee Reviews

Good opportunities
Help Desk Manager (Retired) (Former Employee) –  City of Newport News, VAFebruary 9, 2018
The city offer good pay with excellent benefits. Most departments rely on other departments to perform various tasks, so it is quite possible to have a position that interfaces with several departments which in turn can provide other job opportunities.
Pros
Good pay with excellent benifits
Cons
Relaxed environment with Drive for work to get done
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 15, 2018
The overall Environment is pretty relaxed but employees still have a drive to get the work done. Can be stressful at times due to needed information taking too long to obtain.
Newport News
Recreational Leader I (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VADecember 19, 2017
City of Newport News was one of my first jobs, a great place to work I looked forward to going to work. The management staff were absolutely wonderful. we were like on big family.
Typical Job
Other (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VADecember 14, 2017
Nothing terrible nothing extremely great. The culture is older not a lot of youth and not a lot of room for advancement in certain departments. Some departments are not very progressive with hiring and/or technology.
Pros
Good Atmosphere
Cons
Not much room for advancement is some departments
Excellent bennifits
MASTER MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VADecember 10, 2017
Great job security and bennifits. Good training classes . Company will work with you to help in any way they can. Great leave time and paid holidays.Not very much overtime but good pay.
Pros
training is good
Cons
Have to work on all snow days
great benefits
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VADecember 5, 2017
Was ok place to work. Not using all my qualifications. No really advancments. Long hours, good pay , good benefits. Vacation pay. Supervisors are ok.
Pros
good benifits
Great place
Aquatics Coordinator assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 13, 2017
This is a great place to work for. depending on the job there is a great work/life balance. hardest part of the job is dealing with multiple guest at once
Interesting, gratifying, rewarding overall experience.
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  City HallNovember 11, 2017
This was a temporary summer employment position. I enjoyed working with the participants, staff, and jobsite employers. I was not pleased with expected weekly hours being reduced by as much as 70%.
Decent place to work and grow
Property & Evidence Technician (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 13, 2017
Have worked for the city for over 10 years. Each day is a new experience. I continue to learn and grow daily as well as meet new people within my current position.
Work in a jail so my time is stressful
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 11, 2017
I work in a stressful environment and looking for a change. The upper management isn't the best. The people I work for don't know they're job and think they know how to do mine.
Productive and relaxed environment
Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 10, 2017
I loved my time there. It was a good place if looking for promotions. Also team friendl, great minds working together giving great feedback and good vibes.
One of my favorite jobs I will probably ever have
Lead Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 26, 2017
I started working for the city as a lifeguard when i was 19. The staff and management became like family to me. I worked there for nearly eight years. The management team helps young lifeguards build their confidence and teaches professionalism and respect. The environment is extremely team oriented. The work environment teaches coworkers the importance of leadership and creates a positive impact for the employees.
Pros
Fun and rewarding environment
Cons
not full time
Wonderful place to work
Groundskeeper Aide II (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 21, 2017
Love working for the city. You meet a lot of new people and get to provide services that get appreciated by the community. It can be back breaking some days, but the joy you get from others makes it worth it.
Pros
co-workers, learning something new
working hours/ managment
Child Protective Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 16, 2017
If you like working all day, all night, and all weekend this is the job for you. Management does not care they just want the work done and want the numbers to show. Some days you will work to 12:00am, 4:00am, 6:00am with very little support for management. They don't care. Management at the city of Newport New are the most non-genuine individuals I have ever worked for in my life. A co-worker that passed away working there for over 10 years told me "no matter what you do no matter how hard you work at the end of the day its always going to be your fault" and you better bet you last dollar she was telling nothing but the truth.
Productive work environment
Youth Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 10, 2017
I love children and making a difference in their lives. To know that you have the ability to motivate a child to do better makes the compensation not matter.
Pros
To see children grow and develop life skills
Cons
Compensation
Life Changer
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 9, 2017
For the 911 dispatcher position there are a lot of people willing to help you along. This career isn't for everyone and it can be very stressful at times during the training process.
Pros
Great benefits, good hours and good management
Cons
Stressful
Works well with my schedule
Office Assistant 2/Traffic Crash Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 29, 2017
Working 24.5 hours per week
Attending the office 3.5 days a week

Working independently with research and data

I learned the importance of Grant applications for finances for transportation in a city when having to deal with state regulations
Pros
Non-smoking building
Cons
healthcare
i enjoyed the positive environment
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 24, 2017
positive people, steady work, plenty of equipment, easy to learn how to the equipment, easy to do the work. there's people always willing to help you, teach and train you with all the utensils, supplies, and equipment
A highly stressful job that have a high turnover rate due to communication between staff and administration.
Juvenile Services Counselor (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 22, 2017
Employment with juvenile services is a very stressful job,however working with troubled adolescents must be a passion and not a job. Parks and recreation is an opportunity to explore your ability to work with the public and independently challenges you to implement new ideas and collaborate with others as well as become a team player.
Pros
Work independently, Helping adolescents that cannot help themselves, Escorting residents to positive events, And introducing residents to various cultures that enlightens their intellectual growth, Giving positive input as an option in life, And giving children the alternative of hope in a positive environment, Showing them how to take responsibility for negative behaviorals.
Cons
Seclusion, And assistance without proper break periods, Incentatives to encorage employees to chalenge themselves, Relief of mental stress during high crisis.
Accounting Assistant Senior/Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 20, 2017
A typical day at work would be satisfying every customer. and ensuring that you went that extra mile to answer the questions and concerns they may have.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Newport News. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Newport News Reviews by Location