City of Newport News Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 19, 2017
Although the pay and benefits are lacking for a government position, the atmosphere and people you work with are amazing! The hardest part of the job is waiting on other people to finish things so you can finish your own job.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Pay and benefits are lacking
Relaxed environment with a great staff that is easy to get along with
Concession Attendant (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 11, 2017
It's a relaxed kind of job, you just serve customers and tend to emergencies or concerns of the customer. In my time at this job I've learned the importance in a quick and efficient job or if you aren't too sure about something take your time and rationalize it. The management is cool and understanding always tries to understand each of their employees individually.
Good company to work for
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  City of Newport News VA.August 9, 2017
Enjoyed this job, met some good people. It's a good place to start a career if you stick with it long term. There's some good opportunities if you hang in and keep trying.
Pros
Good place to start a career for long term
Cons
Takes a long time to advance
A decent place to work
SENIOR ARCHITECTURAL INSPECTOR (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 7, 2017
I thought I would be able to grow and progress there. I was given a lot of freedom to learn on the technology that was there. I self taught on many of the tasks and duties that were associated with this position. Most of the staff was caring and understanding.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 29, 2017
Cleaning offices pulling trash cleaning restrooms . Friendly work environment.Great coworkers. Detailing floors,vacuum,mopping .Just would like more hours with this company.
Stressful and not family oriented
Juvenile Detention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 2, 2017
While the pay is pretty good the company and management are very stressful. I would not recommend this company unless it is a stepping stone. No room for growth.
Pros
pay
Cons
stressful
Fun
Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 24, 2017
if its not raining, we are cutting, weed eating, dumping trash, cleaning dug outs, painting, monitoring customers ( no smoking, no pets, shoes etc) I enjoy working alone getting the job done. not stressful. great hours.
Pros
easy
Cons
no lunch provided, no benefits
911 Dispatch
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 29, 2017
I learned to be calm in the worst of situations.

The most enjoyable part of the job was possibly knowing that I helped someone and made a difference.
Pros
Making a difference
Cons
The ones you could not help
311 Contact Center
Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 17, 2017
311 provides information to citizen that help foster and communicate a spirit of belonging and involvement through city services. Each citizen maintains the right to have an easy and effective way to voice wants, needs, and interest to address community opportunities and services.
Dificult work environment to perform successfully.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 12, 2017
The City was a great place to work in 2005 when I started. The work environment involved scheduling technical design work and plan reviews around meetings and project correspondence and documentation. Much of my job responsibility was the implementation of Federal and State requirements to the project management process of the City. This was a challenge to balance Management’s expectations with what was possible within the Federal and State Aid requirements. The city work place culture changed significantly while I was there and many of my contemporaries either left the city or retired sooner than they expected. The difficulty being the balance of politics, public safety, fiscal responsibility, and citizen concerns. The city afforded an opportunity to exercise my engineering skills for reasons other than the dollar, often affecting real change in the lives of citizens. Despite the downturn in conditions at the City I would have chosen to remain except for the calling and necessity for me to move to Florida to care for my elderly parents..
Pros
Relativly good benefits
Cons
Poor support from upper management
fitness can be fun!
Water Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 1, 2017
I love this job, I get paid to workout and I get to give back to the community by helping others stay active. I am motivated to learn new routines and moves to keep the classes exciting and new.
Pros
fun, motivation to be active
Cons
no benefits, limited hours
work
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 22, 2017
Management is great. work day is 7am to 4pm . Nothing is hard about my job and I wish to follow a job into my degree. The most enjoyable part of the job is everyday is different.
Good experience
Combination Building Codes Inspector (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 4, 2017
A very demanding job as a building codes inspector. There is constant construction in the city and there are very few slow work days.
Working with children setting their future one day at a time.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 24, 2017
 Fostered meaningful relationships among students through student field trips, retreats and community service projects.
 Consistently received positive teacher evaluations from students and administrators.
great place with great people
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 12, 2016
Newport news police department and the city of Newport news welcomes new employees with open arms and there is always someone there to help you when needed.
No advancement
Dispatch Security Officer II (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 17, 2016
Somewhat enjoyable. This was a very easy to learn position for me, because I had performed these duties before, with previous employers.
Roller coaster work environment
Warehouse Manager (Senior Storekeeper) (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 8, 2016
I credit the City of Newport News for my success in a well rounded work environment. I made a few friends and built great relationships with many of my co-workers. They provide resources for you to go as far as you want in your professional life.
Pros
Benefit Package
Cons
Increasing Cost of Benefit Package
Fast paced work enviornment with great leadership!
Commonwealth Attorney's Office (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 25, 2016
The Commonwealth Attorney's Office is a great work environment with excellent leaders. More than enough room for advancement within this office. I love every co-worker I encountered.
Nnpls
Information Services Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 9, 2016
I Love working with my coworker at the Library. They help the days and time to pass because it is such and enjoyable experience to work with them. My job itself is rewarding to hear people appreciate someone helping them in various aspects of using the library materials available to them. This job has helped me develop my voice and enabled me to work better face to face with people. Although everyday isn't the best day, each day is always a learning experience. I love coming to work and learning or trying something new. Being able to troubleshoot and resolve technical problems daily are the highlight of my day. The hardest part of my job is trying to explain something to someone who cant hear you because of their frustration but when they walk away smiling and in a better mood than when they came in the experience was worth it.
Treasurer's Office service to the public was teamwork at it's best!
Fiscal Technician/ Delinquent Tax Dept. (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 27, 2016
I started as a seasonal cashier, then I applied and obtained a permanent position with the City Delinquent Tax Department. My manager and co-workers availed all their knowledge in helping me to learn the process and how to assist the residents of the city with the information they needed to be responsible citizens. I really enjoyed the face-to-face with the residents and felt great when I could assist them in solving their tax issues that resulted in a win-win for the resident and the city.
Pros
Helping people solve tax issues
Cons
No cons, great place to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Newport News. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Newport News Reviews by Location