City of Newport News Employee Reviews

Pleasant place to work
Operations Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 17, 2016
Excellent company to work for advancement is just a little slow. They do encourage you to express yourself and consider your suggestions.
Great job for someone without family or life.
Detention specialist (Former Employee) –  Newport NewsApril 13, 2016
If you have a family that you love don't apply!!! Working a detention is challenging. The pay in decent for a first job as a college graduate. Most people think its a challenging job because of the role of the counselor's/detention specialist; that's not the case. There are not fights or physically challenging incidents daily, but after a while of working here, you feel completely drained. You have to work holidays, weekends, and listen to staff complain about everything. Then you have to people that can't manage a pod (the housing units for the juveniles) and it effects everyone. Everyone is given the same training, yet they still produce ineffective staff member, which they put on night shift. If you are into shift work and working 16 hours unexpectedly, then this is the place for you.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
short breaks, deputy director, lazy staff
Could be better
Technician (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 9, 2016
Good job for college kids if management would hire staff in time to actually work in the summer. Major problem with hiring inexperienced employees and paying them more than the employees that are training them.
City of Newport News Virginia Security Divison
Security Officer Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 9, 2016
I enjoyed my employment with the city of Newport News. I worked with people from various backgrounds, which made it a very a great place to work.
Pros
City Employment
Cons
Working with the puplic can be difficult at times
HYPE system best thing goingI
Juvenile Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 7, 2016
I would like to return to the Juvenile Detention Center, I know where I made my mistakes and now have the knowledge and inclination to correct them. We as a Nation can not afford to let any of our children fall through the cracks. I would take a cut in pay to go back and would promise not to miss a day for five (5) years.
Pros
Training and personel
Cons
Left too soon
The city is nice to work for and my co workers are easy to work with.
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 22, 2016
My job as a custodian is easy work to do, but your always on your feet and its physically demanding. The management are fair and understanding and encourage the best out of you.
A great jon
Staff Technician (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 9, 2016
Great job with lots of responsibilities. Processed payroll, issued id badges and processed end of month reports.Began position in 2/2013 with Patriot Staffing as a temporary assignment. Hired by city
as a permanent employee on 5/2013. Duties included payroll tracking and reporting, budget
reports, city ID Badges, access issues and emergency operations support as needed. Provided
outstanding customer services skills above and beyond job requirements.
Newport News Shipyard Insaltor
Custodian 1 (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 2, 2015
My job was to insalate hot and cold pipes on ships I worked 8-12 hours a day great pay hard work. In this job I learned how to train Navy men and women on how to control the teamputure of cold and hot pipes
Tis interesting
Cultural Arts Specialist (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 27, 2015
The City is an interesting place to work. I can't speak for every department, but I know with my department, there seems to be alot of confusion with what's going on and how goals will be accomplished and unrealistic expectations. That's not to say administrators don't mean well, they just don't always come together on one accord.
Nice for retirement
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 16, 2015
If you are looking for retirement then this is the place to work. There is no growth for advancement unless you are in a field of study. Something like an Engineer can move up but if you are an Administrative Assistant you can't
productive and fun working environment
Senior Child Protective Services Investigator (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 9, 2015
Great positive work environment. Good working hours and benefits. Great supportive co workers who worked well together and helped each other out when needed.
Pros
friendly environment
Governemt
Graphic Designer II (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 28, 2015
It's just not a great places for creativity. Everything has to be justified and second guess which halts productivity.
Benefits
Productive working environment
Lead Facility Attendant (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 21, 2015
The City of Newports News Va., Is an excellent company to work for. They make sure they are there for you as much as your there for them. I like that fact that I can make my own schedule. They care about your well being and are understanding to personal issues. The City is more like a family.
Pros
paid meetings, lunch breaks, weekly pay
Cons
a lot of down time
Great Job Security
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 18, 2015
Great Job security: Considered essential personnel downside inclement weather you have to come in. With no danger or inclement weather pay. You'll have generally knowledge of the workings of law enforcement.
Pros
job security and able to attend classes
Cons
short breaks, and no inclement weather pay for essential personnel.
Fun and enjoyable
School Age Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 13, 2015
What I have learned with working for the city is that each child is different and it takes may ways for them to understand what you are saying to them.
Pros
Nap time
Cons
Lunch not always on time
Newport news Jail
Sheriff Deputy (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJune 23, 2015
I gain alot of knowledge pertaining to the safety of the facility. Excellent staff and management is great. The work shift works the best on 8 hour days.
Great work place.
Security Officer II (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 21, 2015
I have so far enjoyed my time working with the city. The hours are perfect and sites I have been to, have been a learning experience to further develop my skills and abilities.
Pros
Consistent work hours, weekly pay for part-time.
Cons
Hard to tell when full-time slots will be available.
Staff Technician (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 3, 2015
I learned a lot about accounts payable/receivables, budgeting, CIP. My co-workers were awesome. I left because I am looking for career growth opportunities
Benefits
Cons
Excellent supervisor, good team to work with, essential personnel
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 24, 2015
My job with the police department is very interesting and I have a great team to work with. I sit at the front window in the lobby about three days a week and take crime reports, answer the telephone, and do fingerprints. One or two days a week I have a secondary job and I sit at a desk in the back office and handle all requests for accident and incident reports that are requested from insurance companies, attorneys or private citizens. The most difficult part of my job is feeling like I am not able to perform the tasks I am assigned in my secondary job. It is very difficult to accomplish the amount of requests we receive in one day. It is also difficult being essential personnel. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We work all holidays and weekends. I am very flexible in my working hours but I would like a bit more consistency. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with my co-workers and when I am able to sit at my desk and work on my secondary assignment. I am a task completer and I actually enjoy doing paperwork.I am happy working with a team or on my own. I have had to learn a tremendous amount of tasks that are performed in the records department at the police department. I went through six months of training. I do feel like the salary is not comparable to the amount of work we do, but that is not all that matters. I worked in the medical field for 23 years and that is where I feel most at home.
Pros
Fantastic supervisor, great team of co-workers
Cons
Being essential personnel and working holidays and weekends
Parks and Rec = Crazy
Youth Programs (Current Employee) –  PlazaFebruary 20, 2015
The upper management in Parks and Rec is crazy. Like all city governments, there is a lot of politics. It really makes you wonder how these people got into the positions they currently held. The youth programs superintendent has even been quoted saying when your employees are happy then something must be wrong. She is a puppet master that is always stirring the pot.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Mangement has no clue about management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Newport News. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Newport News Reviews by Location