City of Newport News Employee Reviews

Juvenile Counselor II/Post Dispositional Program (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VADecember 23, 2014
Great organization to work for. The company is expanding and the management does an excellent job training the staff and communicating what needs to be done. The co-workers are friendly and helpful.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Great Place to Work
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 24, 2014
Has a good job.work like balance, excellent benefits and training programs. Good promotional opprotunities
Very Productive Working Environment
Accounting Technician (Current Employee) –  12912 Jefferson Ave. Newport News, VA 23608October 23, 2014
A typical day at work for me as an Accounting Technician for the City of Newport News, consists of assisting customers in the processes of applying or managing business licenses, preparing state taxes, processing personal property adjustments, processing and preparing business related taxes, and processing DMV Select transactions.
Busy work enviroment. Constantly coming in contact with different types of people
Custodian II (Current Employee) –  Newport News,VaOctober 21, 2014
My work day starts out good. Most of the staff is friendly and courteous. I get all my supplies ready and start working. I make sure I am very detailed at my job. When I see people I am friendly and polite.My coworkers are very okay.The hardest part of my job is dealing with rude customers. I really feel bad when they treat me as if I am beneath them. This is a job just like theirs and I should be treated as if I am equal to them reguardless of my job title. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that what I do makes A DIFFERENCE in the flow of the operation of the CITY!
Pros
Ppl, Salary reasonablilty, advancement opportunities
Cons
Benefits, short hours
Diverse Culture
Administrative Assistant II/Operations Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 16, 2014
A typical day at the City of Newports News would mostly consist of data entry. With the City of Newport News, I have learned the value of working in a professional environment with people from various backgrounds and skill sets. I learned the importance of time management and organization when it comes to managing time and keeping up with mutiple priorities. I value my co-workers more than anything else, they bring so much wisdom and knowlegde. The hardest part of my job is looking for growth within my department. The most enjoyable part of my job is working 7a.m.- 4p.m. Monday through Friday with weekends and most holidays off.
Pros
Benefits/co-workers
Cons
Salary/Politics
Clerical assistant to deputy of taxes.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport NewsOctober 9, 2014
Clerical , processing and adjusting State Taxes. filing , extensive Data Entry .
No tuition reimbursement
Senior Family Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 5, 2014
Very little opportunities for advancement. No tuition reimbursement. Very little support from management. Wonderful and supportive line staff.
Fun Place to Work
Youth Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 19, 2014
A typical work day includes watching 20-100 children from ages 3-14. Encouraging growth and team building skills while implementing art and games. My co-workers are pleasant and helpful. Each child is different and the challenging part of my job is figuring out how to help those who get frustrated. Making sure the kids have fun is one of the most enjoyable parts of my job.
Pros
Get to play while I work.
Cons
No benefits
Working for the city
PROGRAM LEADER (Former Employee) –  701 menchville rd, newport news, va 23602August 21, 2014
A typical day at involved setting up and tear down of the gym with our equipment for the children, taking them to breakfast and snack, releasing them to their classes, taking role, assisting them with homework, doing arts and crafts. I didn't learn nothing from this job as I knew how to do these things before I was hired. Management was okay, my co-workers were wonderful. The hardest part of the job was at times trying to keep the kids in line as we are responsible for over 50 kids. The enjoyable part is see the smiles on the kids faces.
Working with children and managing the facility
Recreation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 28, 2014
Work with children teaching them how to use their motor skills in learning gymnastics. Also I follow up with complaints and talk to parents about the progression of their children. I work on daily lesson plans, scheduling classes and instructors, rotation sheets, and helping the instructors when needed. I schedule children up for classes and I work on managing the facility. I follow up with the contractor cleaning company and work on inventory. I work as acting supervisor when the supervisor is out of town. The hardest part of my job is dealing with complaints. Parents are difficult to handle when it comes to their children. I have been doing it for many years, but it doesn't get any easier. The best part of my job is seeing the little ones be happy. I love working with children. Even if I had a bad day or a parent just screamed at me, the children always find ways to make you smile.
Pros
Working with the children, flexible hours, great coworkers
Cons
no healthcare, limited hours
Poor Workplace Environment
ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 27, 2014
The employee "you owe me" and "pass the buck" culture is predominate throughout the city departments and divisions. Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities take a backseat to a network of drug deal promotions and hiring actions. For those outsiders hired or promoted past current employees, they face constant conflict and back stabbing. Further, the city provides no newcomers training for those who enter the city workforce in a supervisor or management position.

The inability to discipline poor performance makes almost every employee untouchable. The Human Resources Department carries far too much weight within the City management. A single write-up takes more than 21-days to process from the date of the event, often longer based on the seriousness of the action. All write-ups are reviewed by HR prior to presenting to an employee.

For those seeking supervisor and management positions…runaway
Pros
State Pension
Cons
1. Employee "You Owe Me" and Back Stabbing Culture, 2. Disciplinary Practices, 3. Lack of Resources, 4. Politics
great
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 23, 2014
nice company to work for. if your coworkers are friendly then your job will go by faster
Very dynamic
9-1-1 Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 21, 2014
It is a fun job, although very stressful at times and you must be able to multi-task. Answering 9-1-1 and nonemergency calls, being able to prioritize calls for service, and dispatching police/fire to locations is what the job entails. Coworkers are energetic and sociable. The only downfalls were mandatory overtime from 4-8.5 hours, which is difficult after staring at computer screens and multitasking for 8.5 hours already, and the high stress that comes with the job. Being responsible for officer safety and making sure to send help to the right location is very stressful. This is a thankless job, so if you are looking for recognition, this isn't the job. I loved each and every caller, no matter if they were complaining about loud noise from a neighbor, or they felt they were having a heart attack. The job is to be a problem solver, and being there for them when they need help.
Pros
dynamic, decent benefits
Cons
short breaks, stationary, high stress, rotating shifts, mandatory overtime
Public Sector
GIS/Cartographic Technician (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 1, 2014
I don't have much to say. It was a great experience but I'm looking forward to joining the private sector again.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Talent doesn't guarantee promotion
Entertaining work place
School Age Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 16, 2014
On a typical day I will work with several other staff and we manage anywhere between 15-100 plus children. I assist in setting up snack. Follow daily activity book to do arts projects and crafts with the children. Set up and break down sites as needed. Keep parents updated about their child's progress. With so many children, I am always learning that what works with one, does not necessarily work for another. That can be the most challenging part of the job.
Cons
No benefits
I was happy with this job and the employees were good people to work with
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 12, 2013
I was hired for 8hr shifts and asked to work 10hr shifts after I was hired which was misleading
To Help Promote Self-sufficiency for Customers; Working Together
Office Assistant/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 13, 2013
I had the opportunity to work for thirty (30) years and be able to retire from agency. I worked many office jobs and did not stop until I knew I had done the best job possible. I worked around so many personalities-bad and good but learned to laugh at the end of the day and also learned from them . I had the best co-workers who took up the slack for each other so the day went by productively and pleasantly. We had family atmosphere and supervisor also stepped up to do the job when needed. I learned that it is gratifying to know you have helped someone no matter how trivial it may seem.
Pros
Company picnic annually; award banquets
Cons
healthcare package when I retired
I enjoy coming to work
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 11, 2013
My job as a customer assistant with Newport News is to serve as a liason between citizens of the city and the departments. I have learned details about the specific duties for the city, and how to provide service to for the locals. There is an open-door management policy between the workers and supervisors that helps with interoffice communications. Since there are less than 15 coworkers, we all have a close proximity (which also helps with communication). The challenging part of the job is making sure we connect with the correct department for the cities, while the most enjoyable part is having the pleasure of making the citizens feel important by meeting their needs and requests.
Pros
Excellent communication, open door policy
Cons
Challenging requests
consistant work alot of politics
Sr. Construction Maintain Worker (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 26, 2013
The work is not hard a mixture of construction,landscaping, and customer service. Various things to learn from heavy equipment operation to small engine repair, construction math to surveying, the management here is not the best the typically did not have the level of knowledge the workers possessed and they dealt in a lot of favortism, the hardest part of the job was being constantly used and mistreated, the most enjoyable part was my fellow co-workers.
Pros
a lot of training
Cons
to much contradiction
good job with 40 hrs a week
HHW and Equipment operator, landfill tech (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 27, 2013
I work at HHW and landfill gas tech and back up equipment operator. I check flare system and landfill repair to down shoots and diversion dyeks and ditch lines and SWPPP's. HHW I do paper work for on site storage of waste. Work drop off area. I remove CFC's from A/C's and refrigerator's and separate the medals from the units.
Pros
work out side, by myself and get to work with all kinds of equipment
Cons
rain

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Newport News. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Newport News Reviews by Location