City of Norfolk Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
great place to work at if u like kids
Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 18, 2018
typical day at work is boring i learned that the city doesnt pay much at all very cheap the culture is cool its urban so ppl can adjust quickly hardest part about job is working there
Pros
the employees
Cons
the job
Great job during college
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 20, 2018
I enjoyed working as a lifeguard while in school because it allowed me to have a flexible schedule all while still making good money. The atmosphere was always positive and enjoyed working with all my coworkers.
The money is not worth it
CROSS CONNECTION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Moores Bridges Water Treatment PlantDecember 24, 2017
The money is not worth it. They do not even pay at the mid-level for the surrounding localities. They would have way more qualified people if they were to pay more or at least bring back step raises
management
POLICE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Park Place, VAJune 21, 2017
Based on my experience as a police officer, the higher ups as the LT, Cpt, Chiefs. They know longer have your back and stand up for there men who are out there trying to make the city a better place. They want you to not be a police officer and arrest people. They want you to shake hands with everyone and, and just be visible but not preform your duties.
Pros
you are your own boss as a cop
Cons
the brass dosnt have your back. leave you out to dry.
Poor work environment
Senior Account Technician (Former Employee) –  City HallDecember 9, 2016
Often hostile, competitive and biased towards personal beliefs. Not a wonderful environment at my time of employment for working mothers. Teams change with every new upper management making it hard to grow a support system.
Fair pay, for a fair day's work.
Forester (Former Employee) –  143 East StreetOctober 13, 2016
Working for the city was an overall fun experience. The pay was good for starting out and the people were fun to be around. The summer heat might draw you away, but other than that, it was a good job.
The job was more professional
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJuly 19, 2016
I learned a lot from this job, especially about financial aid. The co-workers were easy to get along with. It;s a behind the desk job, so it's more relaxing.
Pros
behind the desk job
Cons
only can work certain hours
productive and fun work envirerment
Sanitation worker (Former Employee) –  parks and open spaceMarch 1, 2016
I learned that even at a place such as a cemetery can be a fun work place and it's also quiet. not to mention it a nice place to sit and get your thought together on a lunch break. And the co-workers are very helpful when you need help with your job, and its peaceful
Pros
it's outside, no work in rain, very safe
Cons
seasonal job, when off you dont want to here the sound of any tools you work with
Eoc
Telecommunication II (Former Employee) –  EOCJuly 27, 2015
Typical day in EmergencyTelecommunications, rotation shifts, high stress. Management needs to be more balanced out and the people who run the center should have knowledge of what is done on a minute to minute basis. Hardest part of the job is usually not knowing the outcome of a situation you are in constant fight or flight mode.
Substance abuse treatment
Clinician I (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 2, 2015
I work with substance abuse clients in a crisis stabilization unit. Clients get short term treatment for their co-occuring issues.
good workplace
laborer (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 23, 2013
temp service finds work fast. Never a lay off for a long time. Very good work environment
Good workplace
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Military HighwayApril 14, 2013
Typical day at work entails helping others, solving problems and keeping the citizens of Norfolk safe. I have learned patience as well as problem solving and communication skills. I enjoy both my management and coworkers. The hardest parts of this job are some of the decisions that have to be made. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help others.
Pros
good work enviornment
very good
Equipment Operator II (Current Employee) –  2205 mckann aveMay 19, 2012
Get our assignment and get the tool we need to do our job.safety is a plus.Must have good teamwork and good communication.The hardest part of the day is a rainy day.The best part of the day is you did your best to help the community.