City of Oakland, CA

City of Oakland, CA Employee Reviews

City of Oakland, CA insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Some good people, and some unmotivated people

Some of the staff do seem motivated and interested in what they do. There is a lot of bureaucracy though and some of the staff seem satisfied with achieving the minimum required to keep the job. It just makes it hard to get things done when the larger organization does not move forward or facilitate getting things done due to either the red tape or the lack of motivation.

Pros

Pay is decent

Cons

Red tape

A unionized summer camp gig?

Super solid job with great benefits, positive work environment, contact with wonderful kids, and unbeatable location. The best summer job or entry into outdoor education you could ask for.

Pros

Flexible lunch schedule, great location, good workplace culture

Cons

Insane customers, few opportunities for professional development.

Not recommended

Typically a lot of work. Vacations are look down upon and so are taking breaks. Culture is negative as people are overworked, not trained, and blamed for issues. People who have been there a long time have become very defensive and feign confusion to block out the negativity. Can't really trust anyone. Management doesn't care, or seem too busy to care. The pay is not competitive. However benefits are good if you can take time off to use them.

Pros

Holidays, benefits, central location downtown

Cons

pay not competitive, management and coworkers gaslights and doesn't listen to your concerns

secure job

it is a good place to be in, but it all depends on your senior management. Pros: - Work-life balance - secure and good benefit jobCons: - management suck

Worst Employer Ever

You would think the City of Oakland is a fair and equal opportunity employer due to diversity It’s by far the worst city agency I have ever worked for

Leave a review. Help people like you.

There are many opportunities for employment

It's a municipality that is learning to put employees first. There are many Departments and some have good management practices and some don't. I work for the Department of Public Works and they're a work in progress.

u can learn alote

very dirty,stressful fast past but u do meet a lot of people.i did learn alote during my 5 years there its better if u go for fulltime. then its a lot more layed back.

Pros

bring ur own lunch

Cons

real short breaks

Great Place to Work

I worked at the library, and everything was five stars except for compensation/benefits due to the fact that I was a volunteer so they were not included.

Pros

Great atmosphere, good managers, great place to be.

Cons

Sometimes there would be disagreements among us, but never anything too extreme.

Footy of Oakland

This Was my first job at 18 years old it wasn't the best experience in life but I wouldn't trade it in for anything thank you to everyone who helped a kid at the time of my life

Pros

Helping people

productive fun work place

fun enjoyable atmosphere with people of many diversity, very lenient and positive. we are like one big family. Great for a first job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Oakland, CA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

City of Oakland, CA Reviews by Location