City of Olathe Employee Review

View all City of Olathe reviews

City of Olathe Water Plant/Process Operator
Water Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJuly 31, 2013
I was hired on as a Process Operator with no prior experience because of my technical abilities and aptitude to pick up quickly and contribute efficiently. Well after 6 months of employment, a partially torn knee ligament, and a car accident (none due to negligence) I only missed 1 and 1/2 days of work, so attendance was never an issue. I worked 40 hours in three days, Friday and Saturday 13.5 hrs. and Sunday 13 hrs. and did so being the only Operator most days. So this left my list of duties very long, a short list for example would be (2) plant checkouts (looking at every single gauge and instrument and documenting all the readings), washing up to (6) carbon based filters that filtered millions of gallon of h20 daily, sample collection from the source (Kansas river) and the numerous collection wells, then different water towers around the Olathe area, performing chemical analysis on all water samples (2) times per day as well, documenting all findings, plus weekly and monthly auxiliary duties and monthly and weekly computer training as well as studying information for Process Operator Certifications and this literally is just a very quick, short list and all of this was done for the hefty hourly wage of $13.67 or less than $30,000 a year. Not to mention working with this older man who was extremely lazy and very rude, never short on put downs or saying I needed to work faster. So anyways, what I'm getting to is that I was a good consistent worker and one morning as I was driving into work less than 1/4 mile from the plant I hit a deer, causing my car to veer and hit a telephone  more... pole as well, leaving me with a fairly bad concussion and bruising. Well, I subsequently suffered a seizure about a week later and was taken to the Veterans Hospital in KCMO, since I'm a vet as well. I wasn't found to have any drugs or alcohol in my system, they simply tied the seizure to the car wreck and after that I was given restrictions for 6 months from driving, climbing ladders, working around water unsupervised, basically most things my employment consisted of. So the City of Olathe instead of bringing a second operator on my shift as they had done in the past they simply fired me. So, not only was I fired for something that was totally out of my control, I also was denied Kansas State Unemployment Insurance because my VA Doctor filled my paperwork to the Dept. of Labor wrong, saying my return to work date was "Unknown" instead of simply stating I could return to work in any other occupation that didn't include my restrictions (which are numerous jobs). So, basically, I worked hard, had a non-fault accident and because they didn't want to speed up their hiring process for another operator or rotate other ones from other shifts (which there were ALWAYS volunteers for extra shifts aka Overtime, since the pay was so low) they simply fired me and fed me to the wolves.  less
Pros
Enjoyed the work in general a mix of tech, chemistry, labor, etc
Cons
Pay, shift hours, lack of organizational direction from management especially as the superitendent was retiring

Other City of Olathe Employee Reviews

Poised or greatness
Enterprise Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSApril 5, 2018
The shop is poised for greatness but is hindered by old baggage. They are currently attempting to push through new culture initiatives, but time will tell if that is successful.
Pros
lots of opportunity to do new things
Cons
Typical government red tape.
Hate this place
Solid Waste driver (Former Employee) –  Olathe KSMarch 14, 2018
I absolutely hate this place. No advancement. The "Supervisors" make way too much money for doing nothing. I work my rear end off only to get nit picked on my raise which is only about 60-70 cents. The work itself is not bad and the hours are good but the politics and upper management is horrible. Favoritism is so strong here. My co-workers are awesome and about only reason why I stayed there.
Pros
Hours, benefits, Co-workers
Cons
Horrible raises, Poor management, Favoritism