City of Orlando Employee Reviews

Standard Government Entity to Work For
Purchasing Agent II (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 14, 2018
Good working environment. Wages are much lower than private sector positions. The employee trades security for wages. Advancement is limited. The management style is fair but there is no distinction between being an hourly and salaried employee.
Pros
Employment stability
Cons
Low wages, limited advancement opportunities
Fun workplace with no real compensatoin
Lead Recreation Counselor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 10, 2018
I loved my time with the City of Orlando but unless you are going in immediately with a full-time position do not bother. I worked there many many years and never recieved any real raises. I never got moved to a full-time position, yet I did more than most full-time employees. It is a great job for those in college, who love working with kids, and need some extra cash with a flexible schedule. But for those who are trying to live any type of lifestyle outside of work, this is not a good fit. It will not pay the bills.
Pros
Great environment, great people, fun job
Cons
pay, no movement within the department
Gatehouse attendant (Current Employee) –  Family Parks RecreationSeptember 8, 2018
I have worked with the city for the past 7 years. During that time, i have meet a lot of great people. Most of the mgmt staff have 15 plus years of working with the city. So that is the only downside i have found with the city is hard to find a full time position.
Good benefits, poor low quality supervisors
Parking (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 6, 2018
Contracted employees get away with murder, while because your a city employee your supposed to keep your cool and complain about them to supervisors later, only to have that same employee laugh in your face for attempting to get them in trouble the next day. Supervisors are never on your side and constantly complain about the lack of good employees. They have all the good benefits that the government should require of all companies. They do not have any vision coverage though, which went into my decision to find different employment.
Pros
Medical, 401k, paid time off
Cons
Your very undervalued, perfection is required, supervisor favoritism
A Day in The City Beautiful
Records Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 14, 2018
I am a Orlando native and has always wanted to be an employee of the City of Orlando and once I recieved the opportunity I made a promise I will never give them less than 100% .

The people at the City are a caring group they really feel like family and make everyday a wonderful day.
Stressful workplace,
Housing Loan Analyst (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 13, 2018
Management very unfair, show favor to certain employees. Promotions granted to friends. Employee feel stress and uncomfortable because of supervisor.
Pros
Great Training, Opportunity to advance. Work independent
Cons
Must be in the in-crowd with management. Poor workplace culture
City government
Application Administrator (Engineering Team Lead) (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 12, 2018
People are nice, work life balance is pretty good. If you are in technology, it's very stagnant and there isn't a lot of opportunity to advance nor is there much opportunity to learn new technology.
Water Reclamation Dept
Environmental Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FL 32811August 1, 2018
My department has a deep rooted good old boy network and it is hard to be promoted if you don't fall into their system even if you have more education or experience. The hardest part of of the job is dealing with the coworker attitudes and unfair treatment. The work place culture is not conducive to upward mobility, once you are there you are pretty much stuck.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Nepotism.
Fun and active
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 29, 2018
During the day we play games with the kids. Come up with different activities to play with the kids. Take the kids on different field trips every week.
Pros
Work with kids
Cons
Only for the summer
Fair
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 25, 2018
I am thankful for the opportunity that was goven to me. For me to show my work ethic and learn the proper way of using it. Gaining knowledge of equipment and the uses of it. The only issue was the opportunity of growth. It was very scarce.
Okay workplace
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 16, 2018
I liked the job itself, I mean who wouldn't wanna be a lifeguard? But the management, staff, and orderly work wasn't very good and I got tired of it. No hate, I just don't think I fit in that work place anymore.
The city of Orlando was a very good place to work
contractor (Former Employee) –  City of OrlandoMay 7, 2018
It was a very cooperative place. it was a very cheerful and happy environment. very stable job. you could learn about the Florida Land Development Code and Florida Building Code.
It is a fun and productive place to work
School Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 7, 2018
Working as a crossing guard enables me to be productive with the kids and there parents. Also, teaching the kids about safety is one of the things I enjoy about my job.
Pros
Having a bus stop near by, as well as a convince store.
Cons
No access to a public bathroom.
Decent Place to Work
Employment Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 30, 2018
Decent place to work at. I feel advancement and additional opportunities heavily lies on your work associations and ties to who knows who.

You meet a lot of individuals working at the City.
Accountant clerk (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 18, 2018
A typical day could go from calm the hectic in a matter of minutes. So you will have to be able to adapt quickly. I learn to keep cool and adjust quickly without upsetting the customer or co workers.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
working at I felt was unsafe.
relaxed
Case Manager Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 16, 2018
It was a good experience. I have no complaints. I would work there again if given the chance. I enjoyed my time with the city of Orlando. I am looking for employment there again.
It was an internship position
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 13, 2018
I learned and practiced what I studied at UCF, mainly working with CAFR. I enjoyed it a lot. It was hand on experience and I enjoyed working with great managers and professionals.
Pros
free treats, birthday treats
Cons
busy parking, not enough parking spaces
Productive workplace
Post-Secondary student advocate (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 11, 2018
Great workplace with the inner city children and local city representative. Very fun and energetic. Pays very well. Works very well with school schedule.
Stability of Work was excellent
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 8, 2018
The Management at the City of Orlando will do everything in there power to ensure you have a safe and stable work environment. The Most enjoyable part of my job would have to be the work culture.
Pros
Stability of Work
Cons
Long Hours
Swan Boat Attendant
Park Attendant I Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 5, 2018
People must be aware of all the disadvantages that represent working for the City of Orlando as a seasonal worker if you are looking for benefits, raise, and overtime compensation this is not the place to work for. You will not receive any of those benefits mentioned, no matter how long or how hard you work for them. Poor management and lack of communication between co-workers are the main characteristics of this job. The job is extremely physical for which being in a good physical condition is required. I do not recommend this place to anyone.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No benefits, no overtime, lack of communication.