City of Orlando Employee Reviews

Ok organization, everyone's just a number tho!
Hydraulic Cleaning Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 23, 2018
Hard to transfer to a different department, blue collar workers not at all valued well compared to white collar employees. Some depts unionized but if ur unfortunate to be in a deot with no union, u are at the mercy of ur supervisor, HR will be of no help. And lastly. Like almost anywhere else, it's not what u know, it's who u know!
Benefits
Cons
Management loves to micromanage!
Some upper management could be restructured
Commissioner's Aide (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 23, 2018
It would not be a bad idea to have ongoing professional development for some of the upper managememt. My position was a little different than other positions within the City of Orlando so comparing it is not as easy. Overall the position was great, however my direct report needs a lot of work on their management style.
Benefits
Cons
Challenges with management styles
great place to work but the pay wasnt great
waste water biproduct driver (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 21, 2018
the pay could have been a lot better but overall it was a relaxed environment and great place to retire if the pay was better but the pay dosent match the cost of living
Pros
overall great place to work and very family oriented
Cons
the pay could be better
A journey.
Parks and Recreation Worker (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 15, 2018
I love this job.
I got this job opportunity through a friend. So far I love it. I was not expecting how involved I would be with kids and the government, but I cannot complain. It's a simple position with great meaning. I see myself advancing in their work field. Highly recommended.
Productive work place
City Records & Archives Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 13, 2018
Productive and supportive work place
Convenient work hours
Great benefits
Enjoyed people interactions and opportunities awarded to me to include appearing on a number of podcasts, local radio stations, local tv shows, and news casts
Customer Service Is Key
Office 365 Administrator (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 4, 2018
Customer service is the number one objective for all employees as we serve the local citizens and visitors to the city. Whether it's directly with the people or providing services behind the scenes, we strive to bring the highest quality in everything we do.
Pros
Employees work together on a common goal
Cons
Aggressive dealines
Fun, short activities, flag football, ocps 1 hour a day, lunch and etc.
Summertime Junior Counselor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 23, 2018
For me since it was my first year working there I was a Junior Counselor, I watched over age groups 5-14, sometimes it was stressful but then you realize these kids love you and need you. I made a new family there this summer. Only problem i have is there management, it can be very disorganized at most times so it really confuses you. But other than that it's a fun job and i do advise people to work for city of orlando.
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
not so organized
Standard Government Entity to Work For
Purchasing Agent II (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 14, 2018
Good working environment. Wages are much lower than private sector positions. The employee trades security for wages. Advancement is limited. The management style is fair but there is no distinction between being an hourly and salaried employee.
Pros
Employment stability
Cons
Low wages, limited advancement opportunities
Great environment but no loyalty
Economic Development GIS Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 3, 2018
As an intern I knew I was not guaranteed full time employment, but it was disheartening that after 10 months of unpaid work I was let go without much help of being transferred to another department in the city. I loved my time there. It was my favorite job I have ever held, but it had its own set of issues because advancement was essentially non-existent as an intern.
Pros
amazing co-workers
Cons
no advancement.
Fun workplace with no real compensatoin
Lead Recreation Counselor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 10, 2018
I loved my time with the City of Orlando but unless you are going in immediately with a full-time position do not bother. I worked there many many years and never recieved any real raises. I never got moved to a full-time position, yet I did more than most full-time employees. It is a great job for those in college, who love working with kids, and need some extra cash with a flexible schedule. But for those who are trying to live any type of lifestyle outside of work, this is not a good fit. It will not pay the bills.
Pros
Great environment, great people, fun job
Cons
pay, no movement within the department
Gatehouse attendant (Current Employee) –  Family Parks RecreationSeptember 8, 2018
I have worked with the city for the past 7 years. During that time, i have meet a lot of great people. Most of the mgmt staff have 15 plus years of working with the city. So that is the only downside i have found with the city is hard to find a full time position.
Good benefits, poor low quality supervisors
Parking (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 6, 2018
Contracted employees get away with murder, while because your a city employee your supposed to keep your cool and complain about them to supervisors later, only to have that same employee laugh in your face for attempting to get them in trouble the next day. Supervisors are never on your side and constantly complain about the lack of good employees. They have all the good benefits that the government should require of all companies. They do not have any vision coverage though, which went into my decision to find different employment.
Pros
Medical, 401k, paid time off
Cons
Your very undervalued, perfection is required, supervisor favoritism
A Day in The City Beautiful
Records Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 14, 2018
I am a Orlando native and has always wanted to be an employee of the City of Orlando and once I recieved the opportunity I made a promise I will never give them less than 100% .

The people at the City are a caring group they really feel like family and make everyday a wonderful day.
Stressful workplace,
Housing Loan Analyst (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 13, 2018
Management very unfair, show favor to certain employees. Promotions granted to friends. Employee feel stress and uncomfortable because of supervisor.
Pros
Great Training, Opportunity to advance. Work independent
Cons
Must be in the in-crowd with management. Poor workplace culture
City government
Application Administrator (Engineering Team Lead) (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 12, 2018
People are nice, work life balance is pretty good. If you are in technology, it's very stagnant and there isn't a lot of opportunity to advance nor is there much opportunity to learn new technology.
Water Reclamation Dept
Environmental Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FL 32811August 1, 2018
My department has a deep rooted good old boy network and it is hard to be promoted if you don't fall into their system even if you have more education or experience. The hardest part of of the job is dealing with the coworker attitudes and unfair treatment. The work place culture is not conducive to upward mobility, once you are there you are pretty much stuck.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Nepotism.
Fun and active
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 29, 2018
During the day we play games with the kids. Come up with different activities to play with the kids. Take the kids on different field trips every week.
Pros
Work with kids
Cons
Only for the summer
Fair
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 25, 2018
I am thankful for the opportunity that was goven to me. For me to show my work ethic and learn the proper way of using it. Gaining knowledge of equipment and the uses of it. The only issue was the opportunity of growth. It was very scarce.
Okay workplace
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 16, 2018
I liked the job itself, I mean who wouldn't wanna be a lifeguard? But the management, staff, and orderly work wasn't very good and I got tired of it. No hate, I just don't think I fit in that work place anymore.
The city of Orlando was a very good place to work
contractor (Former Employee) –  City of OrlandoMay 7, 2018
It was a very cooperative place. it was a very cheerful and happy environment. very stable job. you could learn about the Florida Land Development Code and Florida Building Code.