City of Orlando Employee Reviews

Stressful workplace,
Housing Loan Analyst (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 13, 2018
Management very unfair, show favor to certain employees. Promotions granted to friends. Employee feel stress and uncomfortable because of supervisor.
Pros
Great Training, Opportunity to advance. Work independent
Cons
Must be in the in-crowd with management. Poor workplace culture
Water Reclamation Dept
Environmental Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FL 32811August 1, 2018
My department has a deep rooted good old boy network and it is hard to be promoted if you don't fall into their system even if you have more education or experience. The hardest part of of the job is dealing with the coworker attitudes and unfair treatment. The work place culture is not conducive to upward mobility, once you are there you are pretty much stuck.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Nepotism.
Fun and active
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 29, 2018
During the day we play games with the kids. Come up with different activities to play with the kids. Take the kids on different field trips every week.
Pros
Work with kids
Cons
Only for the summer
Fair
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 25, 2018
I am thankful for the opportunity that was goven to me. For me to show my work ethic and learn the proper way of using it. Gaining knowledge of equipment and the uses of it. The only issue was the opportunity of growth. It was very scarce.
Okay workplace
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 16, 2018
I liked the job itself, I mean who wouldn't wanna be a lifeguard? But the management, staff, and orderly work wasn't very good and I got tired of it. No hate, I just don't think I fit in that work place anymore.
The city of Orlando was a very good place to work
contractor (Former Employee) –  City of OrlandoMay 7, 2018
It was a very cooperative place. it was a very cheerful and happy environment. very stable job. you could learn about the Florida Land Development Code and Florida Building Code.
It is a fun and productive place to work
School Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 7, 2018
Working as a crossing guard enables me to be productive with the kids and there parents. Also, teaching the kids about safety is one of the things I enjoy about my job.
Pros
Having a bus stop near by, as well as a convince store.
Cons
No access to a public bathroom.
Decent Place to Work
Employment Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 30, 2018
Decent place to work at. I feel advancement and additional opportunities heavily lies on your work associations and ties to who knows who.

You meet a lot of individuals working at the City.
Accountant clerk (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 18, 2018
A typical day could go from calm the hectic in a matter of minutes. So you will have to be able to adapt quickly. I learn to keep cool and adjust quickly without upsetting the customer or co workers.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
working at I felt was unsafe.
relaxed
Case Manager Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 16, 2018
It was a good experience. I have no complaints. I would work there again if given the chance. I enjoyed my time with the city of Orlando. I am looking for employment there again.
It was an internship position
Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 13, 2018
I learned and practiced what I studied at UCF, mainly working with CAFR. I enjoyed it a lot. It was hand on experience and I enjoyed working with great managers and professionals.
Pros
free treats, birthday treats
Cons
busy parking, not enough parking spaces
Productive workplace
Post-Secondary student advocate (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 11, 2018
Great workplace with the inner city children and local city representative. Very fun and energetic. Pays very well. Works very well with school schedule.
Stability of Work was excellent
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 8, 2018
The Management at the City of Orlando will do everything in there power to ensure you have a safe and stable work environment. The Most enjoyable part of my job would have to be the work culture.
Pros
Stability of Work
Cons
Long Hours
Swan Boat Attendant
Park Attendant I Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 5, 2018
People must be aware of all the disadvantages that represent working for the City of Orlando as a seasonal worker if you are looking for benefits, raise, and overtime compensation this is not the place to work for. You will not receive any of those benefits mentioned, no matter how long or how hard you work for them. Poor management and lack of communication between co-workers are the main characteristics of this job. The job is extremely physical for which being in a good physical condition is required. I do not recommend this place to anyone.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No benefits, no overtime, lack of communication.
Good place to start out at
Lawn Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 9, 2018
I enjoyed working there. Co-workers were good people to work with. The supervisor makes sure you have all the right equipment and that it's safe to work with
Pros
Goodhours
Excellent benefits
IT support of the Orlando Fire Department (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 4, 2018
The benefits are outstanding. I haven't had the type of benefits offered at the city in over 20 years.
The only issue I have is the inability of management to allow adjusting my schedule to avoid Orlando I-4 traffic.
Pros
On site gym and classes
Cons
Orlando traffic
Stressful and Understaffed
SCCM Engineer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 12, 2018
Under-skilled employees, and understaffed IT department in operations. Plenty of Legacy infrastructure. Manager of operations is fair but the pay for the amount of skills required is way under standard.
Cons
Fast paced, excellent benefits, wonderful staffing and training
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 11, 2018
Each day was fast paced with new experiences on a daily basis. I experienced outstanding management and support by my superiors and co-workers. I was provided with professional and comfortable working conditions. I did not experience negativity in my position and was well versed in my responsibilities due to the training offered by the City for all employees willing to enroll. My most enjoyable part of my position was the constant availability of new and exciting results of my position interacting with the Public, City Officials, DEP, EPA, Vendors, new and improved developments to better the citizens in our City. I am most grateful for the opportunity to work and learn from such incredible people.
A paced work & well controled enviorment
Audio Engineer & Technical Director (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 4, 2018
Happy with other staff and opportunities with the city. My position is seasonal so it is between feast and famine between client events. Flexible work schedule where I can chose to work or not work without repercussions.
Fun workplace if everything goes as planned,
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 6, 2017
We work with kids kids all day long , everything about the job is what benefits the kids and the communities they live in . If kids aren’t your thing, do NOT apply . The point of the job is almost to have fun all day but there’s so much more to it and the counselors don’t get paid nearly enough.
Pros
You get a free membership to any rec center gyms.