City of Oxnard Employee Reviews

Terrible management, no leadership, and everyone there for themselves.
Waste Water Operator (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAApril 17, 2019
Management would not give enough training to each individual new hire that is needed to perform day to day. There was no leadership or any one person who we felt comfortable in confront with our questions or explanations without feeling the payback and consequence.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Shift work and bad and not up-to-date work area. Unsafe!
Local Government Work
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Oxnard, CANovember 6, 2018
Being an intern, I was given a lot of busy work. There were times when all I was doing was stuffing envelopes all day, and other times when I was researching about Microsoft Access to try to build a database.
Ideal for students
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAOctober 10, 2018
A typical day is usually slow but occasionally it can get stressful. You don't learn much and the management is alright. They just need to work on effective communication and consistent improvement within the departments/workers. The culture isn't terrible. The hardest part is the lack of communication given to the workers which makes it difficult to communicate and answer general inquiries. The time sheet is inconvenient because you have to go into the office on days that you work or busy with school. It's also pretty complicated because the hours are constantly fluctuating. There's a lot of call - outs so there is a pressure to pick up these hours when you've already planned out your week for school/other work. The enjoyable part of this job is being able to grow with the community.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low hours, inconsistent schedule
Great place
Parks & Rec Leader (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAOctober 1, 2018
Start checking your tasks off the list.
How to do the job.
Management is great, very helpful people.
workplace is clean and constructive place to be
there isn't anything that hard about this job.
The most enjoyable part about this job are the people you meet while working.
good
Oxnard (Current Employee) –  Oxnard, CAAugust 24, 2018
good,it is good
I’m wearing that one as I type this. Expect a review in the near future. But in the meantime, I’m enjoying the experience and am glad the company finally opted for a smaller size — even if that one might still be too larger for many wrists.
Structured Work Plan
Account Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAJune 25, 2018
A typical day at work involved a lot of data entry, proof reading and filing. Management was very good about training. We had a lot of very nice office gatherings. The hardest part of the job was the slow-ish pace. The most enjoyable part of the job were the employees.
recreation leader
Oxnard (Current Employee) –  Oxnard, CAJune 5, 2018
-some relaxed days, but also stressful days
-learned how to work well with kids
-most enjoyable part is working with kids
-learned how to work with kids and how they behave
Seasonal Jobs
Graffiti Action Program Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAJune 4, 2018
Most jobs are seasonal, very little room for advancement in the department in which you are working under. the only positive is you get to do little to no work.
Great Job
Air Conditioning and Heating Technician (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAMarch 22, 2018
It is a government job so job security is great. Advancement is pretty minimal as most people stay until they retire so open supervisory positions are far and few. Coworkers are great people to work with. The city does have about 1000 employees.
Pros
job security
Cons
weak union
Film teacher (Current Employee) –  Oxnard, CAMarch 1, 2018
Working at city of Oxnard was okay, the work was there and it just didn't pay as well.Management was really relax, not too relax that you can't get your work done. Everyone was definitely welcoming, but like most jobs today in the city. It's all about saving an extra penny.
Fun
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Oxnard, CADecember 14, 2017
Working for the city was a great experience. Many good things out of it but the hours where a bit lack luster. If given more hours I would definitely stay
Fun place to work
Recreation Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAOctober 5, 2017
The City of Oxnard Recreation Services Department was very supportive and let us take our children to work. Our children could go to preschool, camps or classes while we worked. Pay was fair.
Pros
balanced schedule
Cons
fair pay
Fun work place with great people
Youth Sports Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAAugust 13, 2017
It's a great place to work. The job allows me to have many different skills with people and kids. I can express myself in diffrent ways whether I'm talking to a crowd or an individual
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Kids
Youth Leader (Current Employee) –  Oxnard, CAMarch 13, 2017
This job is all about the kids and allowing their sports activities to run as smooth as possible so that they have a great experience. I believe the staff does a great job of that.
Pros
flexible hours, nice people
Cons
short breaks
Steady and secure, limited growth potential.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Oxnard, CAFebruary 25, 2017
The people are great, however management and City politics prevent any needed progress from being made. They currently do not pay close to the median salaries per position in comparison to the county or state.

The ability to advance one's career is also limited as they refuse to do internal promotions, instead preferring to open all positions to the public rather than promoting qualified individuals in house. This adds considerable time to the hiring process. Also if you are promoted from one position to another, you are only afforded a 5% pay increase even if your worth is greater than that.

The mid-managers suffer without regular pay increases as their union does not have steps for regular pay increases and HR refuses to entertain the idea of raises that are not required by Union contracts.

Top management seem's to ignore multiple mid-managers grievances with certain in place policies which stifle the hiring of staff.

However, if you get a job here and pass probation, you will have steady and secure employment.
Pros
Reliable steady work
Cons
Uses CalPers in stead of Social security with no defered compensation matching, benefits package is lacking, low pay compared to other

Comment – March 12, 2017

Don't waste your time applying for Information Technology Jobs if you are not willing to take a polygraph test. The job description/flyer mention that background check may be required. In reality, it is required along with a polygraph. If you fail it, you do not get another chance.

Training
Financial Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Oxnard, CAJanuary 15, 2017
Continuous on the job training. Management is very supportive in your job develop. Location is in the center of the city of oxnard in california.
Very rewarding and professional career
Operator II (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAAugust 9, 2016
Starting career within the department was good. Working conditions are of a manual labor type. Basic 9-5 work with major holidays off and paid vacations
Pros
excellent training with great benefits
Cons
advancement is limited
Nice job
Library Page (Current Employee) –  Oxnard, CAFebruary 29, 2016
Nice place to work as a first time job. Very nice coworkers. I enjoyed helping people find books and suggesting books to read.
Pros
Got to read lots of good books, helping the community
Cons
Not enough hours, little opportunity for job advancement, was "part-time" for 9 years
Productive and fun work place
Customer Service / Snack Bar (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAJune 18, 2015
I enjoyed my time working here. It was real fun while it lasted. I loved everything about this job. The Management was great.
Good place
Police Officer Trainee (Current Employee) –  Oxnard, CADecember 8, 2014
Great place to work. I enjoy this employer and there is room for growth.