City of Philadelphia Employee Reviews

The management is bad!
Semi-Skilled Laborer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 25, 2019
The management is anti worker and they try to work you, without regard to your health or wellbeing. They browbeat you and the moral is horrible!
It’s a lot of cronyism and favoritism with small cliques.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Easy work but little opportunity
Planning Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 5, 2018
A typical day was quite boring. Management lacked direction and resources, but the work could be occasionally interesting. Good benefits and easy work if you got the right position.
Municipal employment
employee (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 11, 2019
municipal employment for those who qualify. benefits, union representation and paid holidays are all excellent facets of employment. obtain your payroll number and contribute to retirement
Great Place to work. Growth opportunities
Impact Service Organizer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 3, 2018
Work/life balance, intellectually stimulating work
Good benefits and you can always test to move up or to move around. I worked at City of Philadelphia full-time
Pros
Excellent for growth
Good career
Foreman/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 22, 2019
The City of Philadelphia has been Great to me and my Family. I've achieved alot. Going from a labor to a skilled labor. A mechanical broom driver to a High density Trash truck driver. Currently being a forman.
Pros
Great benefits and Job opportunities
Cons
Must live in the city
Poor
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 30, 2018
This was the worst job I ever worked. I was unfairly discharged. The Union didn’t represent me. I fought for myself to gain compensation. No response to several inquiries.
Pros
Gain new skills
Cons
Poor morale
City of Philadelphia
Senior Analyst/Developer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19107October 10, 2018
I had previously been a consultant for the City I find the experience of being an employee much different.

The only thing I don't like about this job as the department I'm in does not follow the System Development LIfe Cycle, which I have used for almost my entire career.
Pros
great benefits can normally stay until you retire short commute
Cons
no training or career advancement not following the process salary reduction
Excellent pay, but roating shift-work schedule
POLICE OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 26, 2018
On most days you will work a 8-hour tour, but are subject to remaining for up to an additional 8 hours, pending circumstances. Additionally, due to recent law changes and current social climate, job risk is high, but pay compensation is on par with most other police departments.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
Shift work and high risk
Political and Cut throat
Philadelphia (Former Employee) –  PhiladelphiaOctober 20, 2018
I thought leaving my old job was the best idea to there and I was wrong. This place does not!! care about the tax payers or the workers. It's like a slave ship. Only get advanced if you know someone or kiss you know what?? Benefits were ok time off is the only Pro. Management are either old and bitter or middle aged with attitudes. Supplies and machines never works.You work with mice birds bedbugs and fleas on a daily bases. You have to be on the 4th fl and up to be treated like a human. Work there at your own risk. It's a toss up!!
Pros
Pto
Cons
Everything besides PTO
City of Philadelphia
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 4, 2018
City of Philadelphia has a variety of job opportunities in different departments for various job seekers. In addition to good benefits, retirement plan, and fair salary.
Pros
Benefits, Retirement Plan, Job Security
Cons
Salary

Want to know more about City of Philadelphia?

Ask a question
Management is horrible
Tax Clearance Data Service Support Clerk (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 29, 2018
The work itself is not very difficult, sometimes fast paced depending on time of year. Management creates hostile & fearful work environments & nothing is ever done. Most people want to leave the city for that reason but stay for the benefits.
Benefits
Fun workplace
LABORER (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 3, 2018
Fun to be at work and around other people . Give me a good workout doing trash. Amazing benefits for me and my family. It’s a good career to start off with
Lack of respect for senior employees
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 2, 2018
The work culture has changed in the last 5 years. A lot of new workers are hired from outside consulting agencies and tend to be younger people. The outside consultants tend to gang up on the civil service employees and do not respect people that have been with the City employment for longer than 20 years. Not a stable environment and not a place to get a job. I advise young people to search for other jobs and not to get caught up in government employment.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
a culture of inssecurity, cronyism.
Great Job Security
Semi-Skilled Laborer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 15, 2018
It is a good place to work.The down side is that the cost of living is going up, but the salary is not going up to match it. The work is good, and i like it. I just want to be able to take care of my family without working two jobs.
Pros
Job security
Cons
salary is low
Fun, fast paced, emotional
Social Worker II (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 7, 2018
A typical day at work was investigating reports of child abuse.

I learned that children require capable, willing adults to provide basic necessities to thrive.

Management is tough and they expect that as a social worker you will make sound decisions.

The culture is somewhat toxic.

The hardest part of the job was removing children from the family of origin.

The enjoyable part was reunifying children with their family of origin.
Pros
Perks, raises
Cons
Extended hours
A chance to do good
Decline to answer. (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 9, 2018
The City is a big machine, and there is a great deal of bureaucracy. There are great people working here and plenty of opportunities to do good work, but there's a lot of trauma and stress that fosters a toxic working environment if you're not intentional about self-care.
Pros
Opportunities to do good, job stability, benefits.
Cons
Bureaucracy, stress, burnout.
Did provide opportunity to improve skills.
Tax Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 11, 2018
A typical day at work provided a lot of autonomy within my own caseload....management and culture very bureaucratic as can be expected in government...the hardest part of the job was efforts to think outside the box, be creative in order to be more productive, creative leadership, was not embraced...most enjoyable part?: A salary...
Excellent carreer choice.
Crew Chief (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 2, 2018
Great benefits and career goals. Paid vacations, sick leave and FMLA benefits, Great Deferred comp. program and a matching Pension fund. Paid Funeral benefits.
Poor morale
Water Treatment Plant Operations Crew Chief (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 14, 2018
The job itself can be very exciting. there's a lot of process work that allows you to witness water treatment from start to finish. However, employee morale is at an all time low. Low staffing, very little overtime, small salaries and poor attendance has created a dismal work environment.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Poor salary, low morale
Productive and Encouraging Atmosphere
Data Support Services Clerk (Current Employee) –  1515 Arch StreetFebruary 9, 2019
It has been a pleasure working for the City of Philadelphia. While all departments are different overall I believe all would appreciate having a city job. Management could be a different story.
Pros
Flex-time, pension, Pto, flexibility, and consistency.
Cons
Promotion requirements can sometimes be annoying, and pay should be commensurate with private industry.