City of Philadelphia Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Very fast past lots, of paperwork
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 8, 2018
I enjoyed every minute I worked there. The staff was great and the job involved helping others . That’s a company that I would definitely recommend for someone starting looking for entry level experience
Pros
Flexible, respectful
Cons
a very relaxed place and stress free place to work
Data Services Support Clerk (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 6, 2018
The City of Philadelphia is great place to work. It is a stress free work place. You can work at your own pace. The great thing about the job is I get to leave it there when I go home at nigh and not have to worry about until I come back the next day. It is very flexible and my supervisor is also very flexible and it is pleasure working with her.
Fun workplace
LABORER (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 3, 2018
Fun to be at work and around other people . Give me a good workout doing trash. Amazing benefits for me and my family. It’s a good career to start off with
Lack of respect for senior employees
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 2, 2018
The work culture has changed in the last 5 years. A lot of new workers are hired from outside consulting agencies and tend to be younger people. The outside consultants tend to gang up on the civil service employees and do not respect people that have been with the City employment for longer than 20 years. Not a stable environment and not a place to get a job. I advise young people to search for other jobs and not to get caught up in government employment.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
a culture of inssecurity, cronyism.
City of Phila
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19146July 23, 2018
I found working for the City was great. Unfortunatley I was a contract worker and ance the contract was up, so was the position.

I highly recommend working for the City of Philadelphia, especially if you can get a permanent position.
My review of the City of Philadelphia
License Liaison - Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 17, 2018
My day consists of advising customers on how to navigate through the system to obtain licenses and permits in the Municipal Services Building. During my tenure, I have learned patience and gained more understanding as it pertains to the plights of dealing with City government and it's regulations. I appreciate the hard work which my fellow employees and I have to endure as we deal with the public on a face to face daily basis, it makes your character stronger. I truly enjoy what I do, giving correct information and direction which saves the customers time and money. The management within the City of Philadelphia have a hard job. With the changes which are constantly being done, and the lack of employees to cover the work, they truly have a challenge fulfilling the needs of the people.
Pros
Servicing and meeting new people.
Cons
Dealing with the different personalities and still giving good customer service
Great Job Security
Semi-Skilled Laborer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 15, 2018
It is a good place to work.The down side is that the cost of living is going up, but the salary is not going up to match it. The work is good, and i like it. I just want to be able to take care of my family without working two jobs.
Pros
Job security
Cons
salary is low
Staying focused
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Water RevenueJuly 14, 2018
Working w/City can bring tremendous opportunities, benefits and advancement//stay true to yourself and focused...you can easily lose hindsight of the real reasons why you wanted too work for the City in the first place....take advantage of opportunities given and never take for granted what you have today can end tomorrow....great workers and amazing Philadelphians!!
Pros
Benefits and Salary
A chance to do good
Decline to answer. (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 9, 2018
The City is a big machine, and there is a great deal of bureaucracy. There are great people working here and plenty of opportunities to do good work, but there's a lot of trauma and stress that fosters a toxic working environment if you're not intentional about self-care.
Pros
Opportunities to do good, job stability, benefits.
Cons
Bureaucracy, stress, burnout.
correctional officer
PHILADELPHIA (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 3, 2018
After 17 years I can see the decline of moral within the officers. The stress level has increase and the lack of money and respect that the city and prison official have shown us over the past 3 years forces good hard working people to want to leave.
Phila International Airport was a very nice place to work
Custodial Worker 1 (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 1, 2018
I may not have been thrilled about working overnight but I must say that i like the job.I enjoyed being able to relax once my assignment was completed.
Pros
Down time
Cons
Extensive walking
great place to work
Seasonal Maintenance Attendant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 29, 2018
this is a great starter place to work. The jobs are very important and very detailed. Working for parks and rec has allowed me to expand my skills. ..
A very nice place to work
Senior & Lead Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 28, 2018
They provided me with a project definition and some guidance of what needed to be accomplished, then off I went. If additional questions needed to be answered they would support you.

Liked the job and I was told I had to have a residence in the city to keep the job, now they say both my wife and I must live in the city of Philadelphia, which was not stated initially.
Cons
Your entire family most move to the city of Philadelphia
Fun environment
Asset Management (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 26, 2018
Fun, flexible and easy going environment built around growing you as an individual. Very understanding with excellent vacation , pension plan and health insurance.
It was a learning experience with my team members
Intern (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 23, 2018
It was great I had fun and they treated me like I was one of them. I liked the way they taught me how to push through and to never give up even when the assignment was hard
Pros
Learning about the state
Cons
I was sitting down too much
Best Job You Can Have
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 23, 2018
I didn't just learn how to process people, but I learned communication skills as well as how to file, sort, multitask, and understand the paperwork. It was the most enjoyable position I have ever had.
Pros
You learn new things everyday
Cons
Can be fast moving for some
Gained a lot skills
Engineering Co-op (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 21, 2018
Having the opportunity to have my intern with the city was very interesting.I was able to learn a lot from my mentors that has a lot of experience in the construction industry. I am currently in my final year at Drexel University’s College of Engineering studying Construction Management. Having been to New York City many times, the architecture has been the key factor which led to my passion and continued interest in the construction industry that created the skyline of cities like New York. While at Drexel, I continued to gain knowledge of the construction industry and its many aspects. During my studies I become more informed in areas of the industry, such as construction accounting, business law, estimating, surveying a construction site, as well as aspects of structural, mechanical, and electrical systems. With some field related experiences, I hope to practice and develop more on the knowledge I have and will acquire in the industry.
Law Enforcement
PHILADELPHIA (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 21, 2018
Day to day routine patrol work to protect and serve the community. Days can vary due to demands of the community. Robberies, fire scenes, auto accidents etc. Interacting with the community is a must but can be challenging.
Pros
Serving your community.
Cons
Sometimes never get a chance to eat lunch. Shifts can be tough on family life.
Poor morale
Water Treatment Plant Operations Crew Chief (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 14, 2018
The job itself can be very exciting. there's a lot of process work that allows you to witness water treatment from start to finish. However, employee morale is at an all time low. Low staffing, very little overtime, small salaries and poor attendance has created a dismal work environment.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Poor salary, low morale
Did provide opportunity to improve skills.
Tax Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 11, 2018
A typical day at work provided a lot of autonomy within my own caseload....management and culture very bureaucratic as can be expected in government...the hardest part of the job was efforts to think outside the box, be creative in order to be more productive, creative leadership, was not embraced...most enjoyable part?: A salary...