City of Philadelphia Employee Reviews for Crossing Guard

Stressful, thankless duties
Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19149April 30, 2018
Crossing Guard duties are thankless and stressful. The city requires a 4 hour workday without the ability to use accrued vacation time if needed. Any time off the corner is either w/o pay or using accrued sick time. We work under a union contract that is renegotiated every 4 years. It is important to have a crossing guard at intersections, but sadly people do not respect the role we play in their safety. The city scrutinizes over our attendance yet full time employees are left unaccounted with time off. There is really no balance in the culture at this part time position
Pros
short work hours
Cons
cold weather, lack of respect, dangerous intersections
i never had a problem on my post
School Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 1, 2018
i enjoyed my time with the city only wish it was full time I enjoyed meeting new people and seeing the kids each day. I also enjoyed not working holidays and all summer
Pros
summer off
Cons
didnt work all year
school crossing guard (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 30, 2018
It is fun working here in the city of Philadelphia. I just don't like taking test for jobs. I would stay working only if I could just move up to the next position
Pscg
Police School Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 30, 2017
The PartTime Seasonal was good, but when the weather was challenging in was difficult. I did enjoying working with children. the school early days and holidays were great.
Life changing opportunities
School Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 2, 2017
Great benefits, professional growth, promotional opportunities for those willing to study and apply their personal ethics and integrity for the betterment of those they serve.
Fun being out doors with the kids
School Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJune 12, 2017
It's very relaxed stressful​ at times but that's with any job when you have to deal with the public but for the most part it's a good part time job with full benefits..Making it safe for our children should be everyone priority ..and I'm very satisfied know I can be a part of that with the children...knowing that I'm helping the children and the community is a good thing to me...and besides that I love taking to the kids and the parents on a daily basis..outside not being in a office building all the time...
Pros
Out when the weather in beautiful
Cons
Out in the cold
Friendly atmosphere
School Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 28, 2016
Children and parents are nice,school staff to and very helpful...Loved the children as you watch them grow as the year go bye.You can volunteer in class rooms or around the school...
Pros
You get to be home with children, very good job foe someone just looking for parttime work
Cons
It gets cold in winter, and hot in summer
Productive and enjoyable working experience.
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 22, 2016
I retired from the City of Philadelphia after 23 years of crossing guard

I enjoyed every minute of it. I think the City of Philadelphia was a wonderful employer. I had good health benefits which carried over for five years after I retired. A typical day of work was dealing with children, and parents and the public. I had many friends and felt very important keeping these children safe.. I met many interesting people and learned how to get along with many different people.

I had many holidays and administrative days also enough sick time.

The hardest part of my job was the weather. The most enjoyable was the children.
Pros
Healthcare, paid holidays, paid sickdays. pension.
Cons
Weather
Enjoyable co workers diverse enviornment, fast paced at times.
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 11, 2016
Very enjoyable atmosphere always work to be done but co workers make your day go by faster. Although I was responsible for over 10,000 reports I was delighted working with city employees. I don't recall any hardships working here just that I was last coming in so I was the first out when it came to lay offs. A Great place to work .
Pros
Raises every so often.
Cons
No cons
good part time job
school crossing guard (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 8, 2014
its a great work place .. you work close to home. the children needs your help
Pros
good pay
Cons
no over time
Customer Service, Account Payable, Dependable
School Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 27, 2013
I do excellent customer service, interact with management, co-workers and clients in a professional manner. Eager to learn new things while incorporating skills that I know. Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Internet. Typing 45wpm. I am easy to get along with, willing to work with anyone and I love a challenge. I like working with a group but also work well along.
Productive day dealin with th children and parents
School Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 23, 2013
Escorted the children across the street, and recorded license numbers of vehicles disregarding traffic signals and reported to the police. The hardest part of the day was when the traffic lights were out and there wasn't a police there to tell the cars when to go. The most enjoyable part was helping the children on the way to and from school
very good place to work
Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 25, 2013
being a crossing guard is a very good job but its part time and the pay is okay. working with children is great.
Pros
off every holiday and weekends
Cons
working in the cold