City of Phoenix Employee Reviews

Easy going office
Contract Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 14, 2018
Low key, not much pressure. I would take a full time position if offered. Not much more to say other than a typical government position. Very friendly co-workers. Always willing to help.
Community outstanding and great employer
RISE Intern (Former Employee) –  Laveen, AZOctober 8, 2018
My employer was a great boss, learned a lot from her and she was very helpful when needed. The community was great , the people in the community were very kind.
Pros
Free lunch, really relaxed
Cons
Short breaks
Great Connections
City Pool Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 10, 2018
I trained 47 life guards in 2 seasons. I over saw 3 rescues, I trained at the YMCA & the Red cross. I participated in many fundraisers. and community outreach programs.
Productive and fun place to work at
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  3420 W Roosevelt StSeptember 8, 2018
When I first started as a Lifeguard for the City of Phoenix it was all excitement because I got to work with nice people and got to play water basketball with the kids. At work, it taught me how to be patient, be a role model to the kids showing up every day and they taught me how to become a good Lifeguard when I was there. The management was not good or bad, it was just awkward because they did not know how to interact with us but everything was at ease. Other than the management, the culture in the workplace was very interacting, good communication, and lots of fun because we became close. I believe the hardest part of the job was when we were short on staff, that would just ruin our day because we are out in the sun for almost an hour and had 10 minutes down to cool down and drink water. But other than that, the enjoyable part of working there was meeting the community, being able to swim, play and have fun with everyone that showed up.
Pros
Being able to swim
Cons
Short breaks
good career opportunities
Police Officer/Detective (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 27, 2018
Depending on your role with the City, the opportunities with the city are good. Benefits, retirement and pay, which is generous as the cost of living is reasonable compared to other cites.
All in all the city was a great place to work
Industrial maintenance mechanic (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 22, 2018
There were many challenges while working with the city of Phoenix and that's what made it enjoyable. I have worked at every water and wastewater treatment plant with the city of Phoenix. I also worked with the Specialized Service division which was responsible for booster stations and deep well pump stations.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Nothing bad to say
City of Phoenix is a good place to work
Water Customer Services Supervisor 1 (Former Employee) –  PhoenuxAugust 22, 2018
I enjoyed the three years that I worked at the City of Phoenix. I was the first Water Customer Services Supervisor 1 to first work inside at two of the City's Water Pay stations, and then moved to manage a field office of Water meter Technicians.
Pros
Good work & Fair pay
Cons
not any cons that I can think of.
Team Management
Finance, Tax Audit (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 20, 2018
Daily meetings to go over company goals and projections for the day/week. Communicate each staff members task for efficiency. Maintain and gather information from staff members concerns, request and ideas.
Pros
Team work
Cons
lack of leadership
Job description
WATER CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPERVISOR I (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85003August 6, 2018
Water Customer Service Supervisor I
Lead Specialist to Supervisor I
Utility Service Trainee
Worked as the lead cashier processing water payments,
Help set up two City of Phoenix Water location in Phoenix.
Set up water accounts and except payments daily.
Handle phone credit card payments,
Made account adjustments when needed.
Handle irate calls.
Supervisor up to 16 employees on phones and 8-10 at the customer service counter.
Made sure that all cash drawers where ready for set up each day.
Pros
The Benefits
Cons
Management could have been improved
Everyone hated thier job (in summer)
Utility Technician Trainee (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 4, 2018
Crew lead knows what the job is, the other crew did not. They just say go to this address or follow. All crew trucks had different supplies-not standardized. No real breaks were given, just time to get water. For 2 days in a row my 1/2 deducted lunch was not given and the last day caused me to have a mild heat stroke working in 115 degrees direct sun.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Heat and no real breaks
can't save money
Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 29, 2018
won't b able to save I basically make less than 10 an hour after all deduction... good benefits but. bad pay what can u do but go to work
if u disagree then your black balled. every new supervisor thinks they can make there own rules. you don't need to know your job in order to get hired. if they like you or your a yes man u will do jus fine. even if u get caught stealing time or supplies u get promoted lots of deductions only come with about 60percetn of check
Productive and fun workplace at the pool.
LIFEGUARD (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 29, 2018
A typical day at the pool was doing our usual rotations and making sure everyone swimming was being safe. We also were on the lookout for any drills, drownings and hazardous materials. The job of Lifeguard taught me all the useful skills I would need to help save a life like CPR and first aid. The hardest part of the job was having to make a rescue because one wrong step and the person your saving could die.
Pros
working at pool
Cons
out in the sun all day with little shade.
Working for the City is a very rewarding experience.
Airport Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix Sky Harbor Int'l AirportJuly 24, 2018
An excellent place to work, great benefits and retirement plan. My position is mainly customer service, airport security and safety and parking code enforcement.
Pros
Available overtime
Cons
Uninformed passengers
Water trainee
Distribution Tech Trainee (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 5, 2018
You will be well trained in the work you will be performing. The work is hard and performed in all whether conditions. There is rewarding feeling in providing water for public.
Fun and fast paced environment
Police Dispatcher II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85003June 16, 2018
I truly enjoyed working in this environment. I felt I worked with the best co workers from every shift. This is shift work including weekends and holidays. My shift was an eight hour work day, with minimal overtime required. I enjoyed helping people and the feeling of helping to keep the officers safe and able to go home at the end of their shift. I learned how to be quick in getting and giving information to officers for their safety.
Pros
Good benefits including pay, vacation, and sick leave, great co workers, and awesome work environment
Cons
Unable to leave the facility for lunch
Great Advancement Opportunities
Tax & Licensing Department - Secretary III (Former Employee) –  251 W Washington StreetJune 11, 2018
The City of Phoenix has great advancement opportunities once you pass a one year probationary period. They also have great benefits as well as tuition reimbursement program!
Pros
Advancement and Learning Opportunities
Cons
Some locations had lots of travel time
Management allows you to do your job with a minimum of supervision
Senior Water Quality Inspector (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 4, 2018
The overall atmosphere in the office is relaxed. Inspectors are treated as professionals with little interference from management. Inspectors are allowed to work four ten hour days, which allow for 3-day weekends all year.
Great place to work.
Case Manager II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 30, 2018
It was a great place to work as we were given the freedom to do our jobs and assist clients. We were given the support and guidance we needed. There were different training opportunities and room for career advancement.
Good challenging job with opportunity
Instrumentation & Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 28, 2018
City of Phoenix is a good challenging job with room for growth and opportunities to move up. There are always opportunities for continuing education either within the city or they will reimburse for any schooling outside the City that is related to the job. Laid back atmosphere and good employee moral. Great benefits and a great retirement.
Low morale and very politcal
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 24, 2018
Management and workplace culture are lacking. The manager/supervisors that desire the development of their subordinates are removed from their positions and many of them leave the City of Phoenix. This leaves a vacuum of unqualified leadership that are not able to think on their own. This creates a culture of management vs. file employees. The career as a police officer is difficult enough however The City of Phoenix police department's management leaves its employees feeling undesired and simply a tool to be used. You will be reduced to just a number.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Overworked and understaffed. Poor management