City of Phoenix Employee Reviews

Job description
WATER CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPERVISOR I (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85003August 6, 2018
Water Customer Service Supervisor I
Lead Specialist to Supervisor I
Utility Service Trainee
Worked as the lead cashier processing water payments,
Help set up two City of Phoenix Water location in Phoenix.
Set up water accounts and except payments daily.
Handle phone credit card payments,
Made account adjustments when needed.
Handle irate calls.
Supervisor up to 16 employees on phones and 8-10 at the customer service counter.
Made sure that all cash drawers where ready for set up each day.
Pros
The Benefits
Cons
Management could have been improved
Everyone hated thier job (in summer)
Utility Technician Trainee (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 4, 2018
Crew lead knows what the job is, the other crew did not. They just say go to this address or follow. All crew trucks had different supplies-not standardized. No real breaks were given, just time to get water. For 2 days in a row my 1/2 deducted lunch was not given and the last day caused me to have a mild heat stroke working in 115 degrees direct sun.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Heat and no real breaks
can't save money
Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 29, 2018
won't b able to save I basically make less than 10 an hour after all deduction... good benefits but. bad pay what can u do but go to work
if u disagree then your black balled. every new supervisor thinks they can make there own rules. you don't need to know your job in order to get hired. if they like you or your a yes man u will do jus fine. even if u get caught stealing time or supplies u get promoted lots of deductions only come with about 60percetn of check
Productive and fun workplace at the pool.
LIFEGUARD (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 29, 2018
A typical day at the pool was doing our usual rotations and making sure everyone swimming was being safe. We also were on the lookout for any drills, drownings and hazardous materials. The job of Lifeguard taught me all the useful skills I would need to help save a life like CPR and first aid. The hardest part of the job was having to make a rescue because one wrong step and the person your saving could die.
Pros
working at pool
Cons
out in the sun all day with little shade.
Working for the City is a very rewarding experience.
Airport Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix Sky Harbor Int'l AirportJuly 24, 2018
An excellent place to work, great benefits and retirement plan. My position is mainly customer service, airport security and safety and parking code enforcement.
Pros
Available overtime
Cons
Uninformed passengers
Water trainee
Distribution Tech Trainee (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 5, 2018
You will be well trained in the work you will be performing. The work is hard and performed in all whether conditions. There is rewarding feeling in providing water for public.
Fun and fast paced environment
Police Dispatcher II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85003June 16, 2018
I truly enjoyed working in this environment. I felt I worked with the best co workers from every shift. This is shift work including weekends and holidays. My shift was an eight hour work day, with minimal overtime required. I enjoyed helping people and the feeling of helping to keep the officers safe and able to go home at the end of their shift. I learned how to be quick in getting and giving information to officers for their safety.
Pros
Good benefits including pay, vacation, and sick leave, great co workers, and awesome work environment
Cons
Unable to leave the facility for lunch
Great Advancement Opportunities
Tax & Licensing Department - Secretary III (Former Employee) –  251 W Washington StreetJune 11, 2018
The City of Phoenix has great advancement opportunities once you pass a one year probationary period. They also have great benefits as well as tuition reimbursement program!
Pros
Advancement and Learning Opportunities
Cons
Some locations had lots of travel time
Management allows you to do your job with a minimum of supervision
Senior Water Quality Inspector (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 4, 2018
The overall atmosphere in the office is relaxed. Inspectors are treated as professionals with little interference from management. Inspectors are allowed to work four ten hour days, which allow for 3-day weekends all year.
Great place to work.
Case Manager II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 30, 2018
It was a great place to work as we were given the freedom to do our jobs and assist clients. We were given the support and guidance we needed. There were different training opportunities and room for career advancement.
Good challenging job with opportunity
Instrumentation & Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 28, 2018
City of Phoenix is a good challenging job with room for growth and opportunities to move up. There are always opportunities for continuing education either within the city or they will reimburse for any schooling outside the City that is related to the job. Laid back atmosphere and good employee moral. Great benefits and a great retirement.
Low morale and very politcal
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 24, 2018
Management and workplace culture are lacking. The manager/supervisors that desire the development of their subordinates are removed from their positions and many of them leave the City of Phoenix. This leaves a vacuum of unqualified leadership that are not able to think on their own. This creates a culture of management vs. file employees. The career as a police officer is difficult enough however The City of Phoenix police department's management leaves its employees feeling undesired and simply a tool to be used. You will be reduced to just a number.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Overworked and understaffed. Poor management
Poor training program
Police Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  3443 S. Central AvenueApril 12, 2018
The training program was deficient in numerous categories. Trainees were required to read outdated city regulations and software manuals that didn't make any sense. The hands-on training was conducted by individuals who were not qualified themselves.
Pros
Comradeship
Cons
Bad training and hostile police officers
Nice
Utility Technician (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 24, 2018
Cool place to work good people. Likeablw people no problems needs more culture and people to be more serious and get rid of the grade one certification.
Productive Place to work with a Pool Table
Recreation Aide (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 22, 2018
The City of Phoenix is a good place to work for people who are still in school and are looking for a part time job. They have many different fields that you can work in which can range from Park & Rec. to Pools. They are also very good on making sure you get the correct pay. However, if you are looking to work more that 20 hours a week this is not the job for you. They are very strict on employees receiving overtime.
Library Circulation Attendant I (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 16, 2018
I love the City of Phoenix because it is a great place to work. I have learned that this establishment can adapt to all walks of life. Some of the management I have accrued was nice and some just need the job and do not consider the people or the customers. The hardest part of the job is dealing with people who don't have a nice attitude. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I have a good feeling knowing that I have helped someone , and that they leave knowing that the mission was accomplished.
Pros
benefits, hours, management
Cons
policies, procedures, locations of jobs
Speaking Strictly on Street Maintenance Department
Street Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 16, 2018
The City of Phoenix could be a great place to work if the promotion and hiring practices were consistent and fair to all. Currently if you are connected to the upper echelon I.E: nepotism, best friends, and drinking buddies. Then you are able to get yourself as well as your friends and family members employed with the City of Phoenix quicker and faster than someone who has no ties to the city of Phoenix.
Great Running Public Agency
Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 24, 2018
If you want a truly rewarding opportunity with tremendous growth potential, good pay and industry leading benefits package, consider the City of Phoenix. The City has rebounded from the recession and has brought in quality leadership to recreate the strategic vision and services to the community. There are many great employees and a strong service culture.
Pros
Benefits, stability, community support.
Cons
Some departments are much better than others.
City of Phoenix
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 24, 2018
The City of Phoenix's strong ethical training and practiced diversity is what I was seeking when applying. My section actively leads by example and encourages personal growth with city-offered classes, training and their new mentoring program.
Pros
Excellent work culture.
Cons
High mandatory pension plan
I was a volunteer.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 18, 2018
I was volunteering there because my dad worked there so it was a great opportunity for me & I loved being around all the kids and loved helped participating in the activities they did around the community