City of Phoenix Employee Reviews

Excellent employer for service minded job seekers
Human Resources Officer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 21, 2018
City of Phoenix as an employer supports over 1.5 million residents in the Phoenix area. Public safety (Fire and Police) are extremely strong in regards to service delivery and support of all residents. Departments tied to everyday services such as Parks, Library, Public Works, Water and Aviation have strong leadership with a focus on providing seamless services to all customers.
Great Benefits and pay
ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 31, 2018
Even though the advancement opportunities were at a stand still. This is a great place to work.

The workplace culture is always changing having he ability to adapt to change will make you successful at this place of employment.

Take advantage of the classes offered and tuition reimbursement. This will help you to grow and promote within the City of Phoenix.
caseworker I
Caseworker I (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 27, 2018
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the children making sure parents take them for their annual physical and dental exams.On a typical day I stop by one of my classrooms to check on families and talk to families about up coming training and classes available to them. Encourage families to become self sufficient
Pros
working with families for positive outcomes
Cons
large case loads
Fun workplace with a great environment
Arizona, Recreation Aide/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 11, 2018
This was a great part-time job for me. It increased my social skills, allowed me to work with children, and boosted my customer service. I would recommend this job to any young person trying to start their career.
Pros
Free lunches, helpful management, flexible schedules
Cons
Benefits cause part-time
Great Employer
Senior Human Resources Analyst (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 29, 2018
This is a fun and secure place to work. The job duties always keep me busy and challenge me to keep me interested. I always love that my job duties can change every day which makes my days go by so fast. The culture in my department is very open and close like a family.
Pros
Great benefits
Great community
Library Page (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 21, 2018
I loved my time with the City of Phoenix as a Library Page; however, there is only a small window of advancement within this field. I completed back office duties in this position, such as shelving, checking in materials and processing damages.
Pros
Passionate professionals
Cons
Slow-paced
Fast paced
Event Services Worker (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 16, 2018
A typical day at work, fast paced, always busy. Not enough workers to complete task at hand, but expected to finish work on the day's agenda. The most enjoyable part of the job is everyone on the shift got along and worked well together.
Pros
Work well and get along with everyone
Cons
Short breaks for a 10 hour shift
All in all the city was a great place to work
Industrial maintenance mechanic (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 22, 2018
There were many challenges while working with the city of Phoenix and that's what made it enjoyable. I have worked at every water and wastewater treatment plant with the city of Phoenix. I also worked with the Specialized Service division which was responsible for booster stations and deep well pump stations.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Nothing bad to say
unsafe and hostile`
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 14, 2019
dangerous and unsafe and stressful. i would never go back there.
i couldn't deal with the racism and verbal abuse. i would be so stressed before work because of bad equipment.
Pros
paid holiday
Cons
working condition was stressful
Job description
WATER CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPERVISOR I (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85003August 6, 2018
Water Customer Service Supervisor I
Lead Specialist to Supervisor I
Utility Service Trainee
Worked as the lead cashier processing water payments,
Help set up two City of Phoenix Water location in Phoenix.
Set up water accounts and except payments daily.
Handle phone credit card payments,
Made account adjustments when needed.
Handle irate calls.
Supervisor up to 16 employees on phones and 8-10 at the customer service counter.
Made sure that all cash drawers where ready for set up each day.
Pros
The Benefits
Cons
Management could have been improved
Everyone hated thier job (in summer)
Utility Technician Trainee (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 4, 2018
Crew lead knows what the job is, the other crew did not. They just say go to this address or follow. All crew trucks had different supplies-not standardized. No real breaks were given, just time to get water. For 2 days in a row my 1/2 deducted lunch was not given and the last day caused me to have a mild heat stroke working in 115 degrees direct sun.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Heat and no real breaks
Productive and fun workplace at the pool.
LIFEGUARD (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 29, 2018
A typical day at the pool was doing our usual rotations and making sure everyone swimming was being safe. We also were on the lookout for any drills, drownings and hazardous materials. The job of Lifeguard taught me all the useful skills I would need to help save a life like CPR and first aid. The hardest part of the job was having to make a rescue because one wrong step and the person your saving could die.
Pros
working at pool
Cons
out in the sun all day with little shade.
can't save money
Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 29, 2018
won't b able to save I basically make less than 10 an hour after all deduction... good benefits but. bad pay what can u do but go to work
if u disagree then your black balled. every new supervisor thinks they can make there own rules. you don't need to know your job in order to get hired. if they like you or your a yes man u will do jus fine. even if u get caught stealing time or supplies u get promoted lots of deductions only come with about 60percetn of check
City of Phoenix is a good place to work
Water Customer Services Supervisor 1 (Former Employee) –  PhoenuxAugust 22, 2018
I enjoyed the three years that I worked at the City of Phoenix. I was the first Water Customer Services Supervisor 1 to first work inside at two of the City's Water Pay stations, and then moved to manage a field office of Water meter Technicians.
Pros
Good work & Fair pay
Cons
not any cons that I can think of.
Family oriented
Groundskeeper and Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 4, 2019
Learned a lot of differents tasks to help me grow with the company. A typical day at work was the team players, management was very professional, the hardest part was learning when to stop
Fun environment
Advanced Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 26, 2018
I liked working as a lifeguard for the city of Phoenix although I do believe the pay should be higher. It was a very fun job and I got to experience working with many different kinds of people.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Heat
Micro managed
Enterprise ITS Project Manager - Consultant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 29, 2018
Not Applicable. local management involved in managing every aspect of the deliverables and would not share key information that was required to perform my job.
Pros
People
Cons
Productive and fun place to work at
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  3420 W Roosevelt StSeptember 8, 2018
When I first started as a Lifeguard for the City of Phoenix it was all excitement because I got to work with nice people and got to play water basketball with the kids. At work, it taught me how to be patient, be a role model to the kids showing up every day and they taught me how to become a good Lifeguard when I was there. The management was not good or bad, it was just awkward because they did not know how to interact with us but everything was at ease. Other than the management, the culture in the workplace was very interacting, good communication, and lots of fun because we became close. I believe the hardest part of the job was when we were short on staff, that would just ruin our day because we are out in the sun for almost an hour and had 10 minutes down to cool down and drink water. But other than that, the enjoyable part of working there was meeting the community, being able to swim, play and have fun with everyone that showed up.
Pros
Being able to swim
Cons
Short breaks
Community outstanding and great employer
RISE Intern (Former Employee) –  Laveen, AZOctober 8, 2018
My employer was a great boss, learned a lot from her and she was very helpful when needed. The community was great , the people in the community were very kind.
Pros
Free lunch, really relaxed
Cons
Short breaks
fun
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 7, 2019
Love working for the City of Phoenix! It is a very fun and organized company! Although I work part time, I love every minute of working with the children and sport teams!