City of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews

Great first job
Assistant City Solicitor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 11, 2018
This is a great place to work to get your feet wet in the legal profession, especially if you are still exploring practice areas. However, there is just about zero room for advancement and the salaries are very low.
Overall good place to work with glaring holes
Scrum Master (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 13, 2018
A Typical work day for me is putting out network, IT related fires. Not a lot of time for proactive troubleshooting. Upper management is lackluster at best, and due to their lack of technical knowledge, it is hard for them to grasp the scope of work. Upper management is appointed, where as everyone else is hired based on the proficiency of knowledge to their related field. Things get lost in translation. The culture is chaos, but being a troubleshooter at heart it leads to an interesting time for me. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to touch multiple platforms of technology.
Pros
Benefits, flexible schedule, on cal rotation
Cons
Lack of communication
productive and helpful and nice people to work with.
Finance Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 16, 2018
The duties that I performed were, collecting tax checks and knowing which taxes they were for, inputting the information for the checks into the correct spreadsheets, entering information for new employees, setting up parcel spreadsheets via porta spreadsheets, figuring out the tax value of certain parcels (city tax, state market or standard tax value), I was also asked to research the spending and usage of municipal bond money and I created a 2017 tax revenue spreadsheet to track quarterly tax payments.
Throughout this internship, I have learned a lot, mostly about taxes and how they are spent, but also about the way our city uses them to create better infrastructure and improvements. I think the tax that sparked my interest most and really helped me learn about forecasting finance was the entertainment tax. That is one tax that really fluctuates and is difficult to predict. The city counts on their events to bring in revenue for the city. Some months they have many events while other times they have very few. In addition to taxes I also learned about municipal bonds, those bonds generate revenue for the city as well, however; if the government does not spend the money in time, they will be taxed twice as a penalty.
One difficulty that I faced during the internship was the feeling of wasting my time. At the beginning of my internship, it was the start of the tax season. I was mostly in charge of data entry and that really started to make me feel as if this could potentially be the wrong choice for me. Thankfully, once the majority of the tax information was processed I was
  more... able to move on to different assignments and found the internship to be exactly what I was looking for. During the first couple of weeks I would go to the supervisor and ask him for additional assignments to try to switch things up, but he asked me to just complete the current assignments so that we could move on to new things. He felt I might get overwhelmed if he was to throw too many things at me. He was right. I did not know how much more involved and relevant the new assignments would be. After the completion of the data entry for taxes, my supervisor gave me a research project on muni bonds. Once that was complete he then demonstrated how they predicted the flow of income for the city from the different types of taxes they collected. Through communication and learning to be patient, I discovered how truly informative and beneficial this internship was.
I feel that the internship was extremely worthwhile; it allowed me to take my education and apply it to real world scenarios. In school, we are only ever given things with right or wrong answers. We never really have the opportunity to apply our knowledge to relevant things and that is why internships are so important. This gives students the chance to show that they can be valuable in a position. Through my experience here and also with my previous internship I learned that it is almost more valuable to have work experience than a degree. That is why I was so eager to do more than just busy work. Thankfully this internship turned out to be more than just a way to pass time. I am very grateful for the opportunity that I was given with the city.
Seasonal Job as a Lifeguard
Head Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 8, 2018
I loved being a Lifeguard during my years working for the City of Pittsburgh. This was never intended to be a lifetime career. Great place to learn and develop crucial skills for your future endeavors.
Pros
Work Outside
Cons
Not enough work/life balance
Relaxed atmosphere
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 10, 2018
Typical day of work is working with youth.
I learned how to teach various skills.
Management was laid back.
Workplace culture was a positive environment.
The hardest part of the job was the paperwork.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the appreciation from the kids.
Pros
Being a positive influence to children
Cons
No increase in salary
Pittsburgh
Council Member (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 9, 2018
Not much to say, Pittsburgh is a great place to live if you have a good job. Lots of great educational options as well. It is a great place to raise a family.
Not a place to have a career
Deputy Director of Parks and Recreation (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 26, 2018
Hostile work environment. The city was not interested in having a professional recreation department. It was downsized considerably over the course of two years.
Great for experience only
Detective (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA 15233February 26, 2018
It's a great place to get free training and experience. The pay is way to low compared to other departments and the pension is so poor that it's honestly embarrassing.
Pros
You can work as much and earn as much as you want.
Cons
You are a number, when you die or are broken down and can't work, you are swept aside for the next body.
Collaborative, respectful environment
Ethics and Law Investigator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 2, 2018
Attorneys, Investigator, Legal Secretaries and Law Clerks all work very well together. Each individuals' opinion is respected and use to solve problems and explore new ideas and strategies.
love working for the city
Laborer (Former Employee) –  NorthsideSeptember 21, 2017
work day was some times long got a chance to meet all kinds of people love the people that I worked with ,management was was just that keeping use on our toes
Pros
over time
Cons
vacantion times
Community Volunteer (Former Employee) –  pittsburgh public schoolsSeptember 14, 2017
Wonderful people and work environment. Ability for advancement is tangible. The benefits (health, dental, vision, life) are excellent! The Administrators are easy to talk to and kind.
some of the chiefs and mayors were horrible
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 29, 2017
enjoyed my fellow workers, enjoyed the daylight shift I had. The time spent away from family was tough,but, the compensation wasn't bad,but, you had to work 70- 80 hours a week.
working for the city
Acting Center Director (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 29, 2017
The City Of Pittsburgh Is agood place to start to get your feet in the door, its not to fast or slow its just right. Dealing with the community and public makes the job the best
I enjoy my job
Refuse Collector (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 20, 2017
All in all it is a good place to work. everyone works together to get the job done. As far as the work load ,some day are better than others. The work is hard but the pay is fair.
Pros
work insentive
Cons
the weather
It's ok
Emergency Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 20, 2017
Working for the government is always stressful but the management isn't bad and the autonomy at work is a plus. Long hours and minimal time for a personal life
Great!
n/a (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 9, 2017
Great place to work with great benefits! Always a work/life balance, and management that is understanding to employees needs. Only con is the requirement to live in the city.
Great experience
Pittsburgh (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 1, 2017
Overall experience was great. The fact that the company has been a great place to work, I would go back there. A lot of walking, in which, gave exercise at not cost.
Pros
Hours
Smell
City of Pittsburgh
Clerical Assistant/Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh PAJune 5, 2017
I have enjoyed my time with the City of Pittsburgh, especially the bureau of police. I have learned a lot about the PA and local justice systems in the last 3-4 years. The problem is that there is no room for advancement.
Customer Service
Utility Survey Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 16, 2017
Processing permits from Utility workers, public, contractors, etc.
I'm learning about property lines, addressing, and geographic.
Management is precise and down to earth.
Culture is diverse
The job can get challenging with amount of permits being processed.
The most enjoyable part of the day is making people smile.
Safe job with ceiling
Scrum Master (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 28, 2017
I am by title a Network Analyst, but that translates to System Administrator. I also dual function as Scrum Master. My daily tasks include, but not limited to running backups, configuring switches and routers, creating vm's and maintaining them in VSphere, maintaining integrity of servers in virtual and physical environment. The benefits are great, and you get a ton of hands on experience especially in the IT department. The hardest part of the job is the lack of competitive pay, and lack of training because of pre-defined budget constraints.
Pros
Freedom to work(Higher Tiered positions), hands-on experience, benefits
Cons
limited training, not cross-functional, very clear ceiling, non-competitive wages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Pittsburgh. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

1.9Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight