City of Plano, Texas

City of Plano, Texas Employee Reviews

United States56 reviews
For city government working at Plano was a great place to grown and learn. There is a true belief in providing great customer service but also treating its employees fairly and with respect
I love working for the City of Plano. I have the flexibility and to teach others to become comfortable and learn to swim. Love it when I see my students in the pool on their own practicing the skill.
The City of Plano is dedicated to serving the citizens while providing value. There is the typical bureaucracy seen in a city government, of course, but for the most part politics stays out of the day-to-day business.
COP is driven by its mission and strives to provide excellent service to the citizens. Benefits are great and there is a diverse work environment. Overall great place to work.
This job is exactly as described. A lot of work but rewarding too. Can be stressful but it is a high stress environment dealing with wildlife and possibly aggressive animals.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
On call hours, but they're not hidden
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Great supervisor. Great staff. All departments worked together to get things done. Loved working with the tax department when needing to find property owners.
Pros
Great co workers
As a swim instructor, I have the pleasure to help others to become comfortable in and around a pool. Teaching water safety and swim strokes. I would demonstrate the the strokes and give feedback toward their progress.

My duties included teaching about four classes in my 3-1/2 hour shift. I learned a great deal about water safety, rescue and CPR. The most enjoyable part of my job was when a customer would learn how to swim and become comfortable in the water.
They are really heavy on knowing your skills, especially during the summer when a lot more people start going out into the pool. The employees are great but you need to understand just because you are a lifeguard doesn't mean it's not work.
PLano was a very nice area to work in. Great environment and great facilities throughout the entire city. Good structure which helped me further my career and advancement.,
I worked for and with many of the same employees for 25 years. The department was small when I first began working there, and grew each year I was there. The department was award winning and was a really fun place to work.
Pros
Wonderful staff and boss, good benefits, comp time off
Cons
None that I am aware of
Wish I could go back in time and convince myself not to take this job. I would have been better off staying at my previous dead end job. Although I was able to catch up on a few shows I was behind on, so I guess it's not all negative.
Job was not as advertised. Supervisor did not provide any valuable coaching on improving in the position or provide concrete examples of what should be produced to be successful.
Applying for this internship was the best decision I've ever made. The people are kind,welcoming,and a great source of networking possibilities. They gave me a great project to work with---and I am forever thankful.
Pros
great pay, great experience, great people
Cons
there wasn't a full-time position open for what I was doing
This was the best job I ever had. I would still be there if I didn't move. The people were great and you get to play with animals all day. It is a municipal job so you cant beat the benefits.
Great place to work great people to work around. They work with on family time and on taking time off. The pay is okay benefits are really good as well as retirement plan.
Great atmosphere, excellent team and management. I learned time management and daily planning, team work, and working with others. The job was fast paced, and tedious.
City of Plano is a good place to learn about local government. Working for the fire department was a great learning experience and the team really stuck together.
management in the water department is horrible. people talk about people non stop and no one does anything. there are to many people working in the water department so most of the day you sit there & do nothing.
Pros
Boring job
Cons
Boring job
Management would have me work on an assigned project with detailed meeting with our PMO office to get specific details. I always had a timeline and always met my deadlines while bringing a project in at or under budget.

The hardest part of my job was unexpected project creep.

The most enjoyable part of my job was the technical challenges and being able to work with some of the finest people.

I have been fortunate to be able to meet and work with some of the brightest minds in the I.T. industry while being mentored and then helping other through my past experiences.
Pros
CBT Nuggets on-line courses.
Cons
Not enough staff
The job is ok, but some of the people that work there are not so much. The work is interesting once you get an understanding of the process. The training could be better, and asking for help usually turns into an ordeal with the lack of others wanting to assist with a question or an issue that might be out of the norm.
A good place to work. It was a demanding job but they tried to treat everyone fairly. The hours and benefits were great. I enjoyed the continued education provided/
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Demanding
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Plano, Texas. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2