City of Pontiac

City of Pontiac Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
I loved my job there would still be doing it if it wasnt for the poor unprofessional management. Great work atmosphere ,good pay and benefits. Good advancement oppurtunities.
Excellent and fun exciting place to work
Within the confines of the Department of Public Works you learn a lot, about yourself and other people you learn how to manage yourself and others as well within the confines of the organization you learn various skills from trash removal to the operation of circuit boards.
Pros
Great learning environment
Cons
Very fast pace
Responsible for verbatim record of court proceedings. Managing the court's docket, assessing blind-draws for new cases assigned to judges during arraignment months and walk-in arraignments. Production of accurate transcripts upon request. Coordinating the judge's schedule and rearranging as needed. Coordinating the annual community scholarship event as a volunteer. Preparing the quarterly newsletter -- time permitting.

Attention to detail is paramount to the efficiency and accuracy of the daily activities. The lack of attention to detail, affects our ability to provide effective customer service. The court presides over city ordinance (local criminal/traffic/civil violations and landlord tenant) matters three days a week and state of Michigan (state law/felonies/more serious) matters two days a week.

I have daily interactions with defense and prosecuting attorneys, circuit court staff, foreign speaking interpreters and victim advocates. Ability to make quick decisions and follow through on requests for adjournments, motions and other court related matters is expected.

The culture is difficult to explain. If we all reviewed our purpose as providing a service to the individuals we come into contact with in person or by phone, we would provide a more rewarding experience to our guests (who have business at the court), and in turn, we would have a more rewarding experience.

The hardest part of my job is dealing with an ineffective culture. The most enjoyable part of my job is the flexibility and the considerate nature of my supervisor. The dynamic of the
 - more...
It used to be a great place to work but I have been retired from there for at least 10 years so I do not know how it is now. Many,many changes have taken place. Many jobs do not are no longer available.
Pros
Cons
used to be a great place to work
An Interesting Experience
I have worked for over 25 years and I have never written anything negative about my employer. What I can say is this is an experience, because I am still employed here, that I would not wish on anyone. It has helped me grow in areas that I thought I had already conquered and for that, I am grateful.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
City of Pontiac experience.
First time working in a Government position. Very long hours. Valuable learning experience. Good and comfortable interaction with city and state personnel.
Pros
Valuable learning experience
Cons
Great place to work when city has funds. Unfortunately the City has been run by inadequate supervision. Currently the City is not a great place to work because employment opportunities are not there.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
no job security
Maintenance
Work in the past job security was the main thing. Great place to work union presentation part of he work environment . Working in the eyes of the public there may of been issues with knocking on the door at 2w am to inform the resident about shutting off the water for a few hours. This is no longer done due to safety issues.
Pros
greeat benefits and job security
Cons
positions within the city of pontiac no longer exsist.
Flexible work environment
A typical day consisted of countless interaction with various teams, managing different aspects of the workplace and workers..
Great place of employment
One of the best places i have ever worked. Good people and great opportunities and chances for advancement. Would highly recommend this company to anyone!!!
Good company
Good company to work for, but due to hard times it came to an end due to budget cuts to the city.
Stress free work place
Excellent customer service. co-workers were great people to work with.
Great City
I enjoy mostly everything about working at City Hall. A typical day for me is usually answering payroll and HR related questions, researching & solving issues, creating and reviewing reports & documents and ensuring that the city is always in compliance. I supervise 2 employees; one is currently working on a record retention assignment and the other assists me with daily activities, including filing, answering the telephone, pulling information, etc.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great boss, great co-workers
Cons
salary & benefits
Demanding and unsafe environment at times to work in
I worked as a patrol officer for 17 years. Four of those years I worked with a special unit-S.W.A.T. No day was typical because circumstances and situations would often change a routine day.
As a police I patrolled the streets in your community to provide a safe environment for the people I provided safety to the people who lived, worked, and passed through the city. I learned that people, despite race, gender or religion beliefs, they all want to live in a society free of crime. And I took my job serious in trying to provide that using all the strength I could muster being as professional and respectful as I could. Despite a few disagreements with management and co-worker on how to investigate a certain situation, I would say I had a good working relationship with them. The most enjoyable part of my job was saving a man's life, rescuing a mother and children from a dangerous situation, and speaking to children about respecting police and the work we do.
Pros
Having a job that provides safety, law and order in a society.
Cons
Some people do dislike and distrust police
Used to be a wonderful place to work.
Back in the day, it was a pleasure to serve the citizens of Pontiac and all employees took pride in our jobs. Helping the citizens was the most important thing. Now the people don't mean anything to the employees or the municipality as a whole. Everything is just about the bottom line.
Pros
People used to care about people
Cons
Bottom line objectives and laying off good people.
good people to work with
this is a very good place to work, were the leadership is easy to work for.
Pros
small town with good people
Cons
the salary is not keeping up with inflation
Day to day operations:
Patrol, Monitor, Issue tickets

Re-program meters

Install meters, meter heads, batteries, poles, signs, locks

Public Relations, Court dates

Online contacts

Telephone communications

Individual collection of money from Pay-to-park

Machine, meters

Ordering, training others

Hilo driver, Tractor driver

Complete custodian/janitorial inside an outside

Removal of snow, trash

Clean, mop, sanitize, deodorizes

Management was very professional

Co-workers did not do much

Doing my job and co-workers job
 - more...
Pros
Having the PPD-OCS on call, for my protection
Cons
health, vision, dental
Overall good place to work for
Worked at the community recreation center, so getting to interact with all the customers that would come in and use the facility was a nice part to the morning.
Police Department
I was a dispatcher for the police department. Our shifts could be one of the three different times. I learned how to run driving records for a traffic stop, talked a woman through delivering a baby. My co-workers were tough but they would put me through scenarios that were real life so that when that call came in I was prepared for it. The hardest part of the job was trying to talk a suicidal person out of killing themselves and failing. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing everyone come back from a run...not losing anyone to violence, fire, etc...
Benefits
Cons
Midnight shift
Use to be a great place to work
A lot of lay offs, no job security. Bad management. Use to be a great place to work.
Fun people, and i love working outside.
Great place, and i did alot of things that i haven't before. It was a easy job and all of the tasks we completed were finished great.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Pontiac. Our community is ready to answer.
City of Pontiac Reviews by Location