City of Portland, Oregon Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Politics drive all decisions
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 7, 2017
Excellent benefits and compensation keep people here despite the lack of accountability for management or city council. Workplace culture is poor if your manager or bureau director is a tyrant.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
culture
Working here is great
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 24, 2017
My manager is new to management but her manager, and my second level manager is also great. Very understanding and supportive, not micromanaging everything. I would recommend the City of Portland to anyone considering a job here.
Progressive city
Neighborhood Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 20, 2017
Portland Oregon is large enough to be diverse but small enough to retain its progressive character. In recent years, the mayors have usually been good leaders, and the city commissioners reflect Portland's diversity.
Neighborhood and city planning are well-respected, and the transit system serves the city well. The atmosphere when I worked there was exciting, but because it is a political organization, it was often competitive. Employees are expected both to maintain the city council's directives and to serve the public, so creativity and organizational ability were both required.
Pros
Progressive, community-oriented
Cons
Political issues can be challenging