City of Portland, Oregon

City of Portland, Oregon Employee Reviews

United States10 reviews
everyone is very supportive towards the new comers
I was very nervous because of being in a new environment and being judged by the other people, because the purpose of me being on the court was that i'm supposed to help the game run smoothly
Horrible place that has no Oregon people , all city employee are from elsewhere , mostly from California and actually live in another State . Mayor Wh
I was discriminated only daily basis , because of my age , veteran status and that I was one of the few native Oregonians. City employee s think people of Oregon are stupid and easy to take advantage of , and will join with transplant Californians to team up on you.
May very
Why What should other job seekers know about this company? What do you think about who what why this is required. Sorry just email me with any questions
Stay away if you can
This place has great people but poor management. The Bureau of HR is garbage. They have no clue what they are doing either. Between the class comp study, pay equity and the revolving door of HR people, when will they get a clue that it is HR management who is the problem not the people. I am glad the old HR Director is gone. They pick people based on the color of their skin versus their Meerut.
Pros
Pay, benefits and culture
Cons
Management!
Management was terrible
I enjoyed my job and working for the City of Portland. I was hopeful that this would have been my career until retirement. Sadly, management was terrible. In less than one year, four people quit. The City of Portland can be a wonderful place to work, if you can navigate through the terrible Bureau's and awful managers and find the good ones and hang on for dear life.
Pros
Benefits, time off, parental leave.
Cons
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
it was time to leave
It was time to leave. I was tired of the politics in the state. I enjoyed working with the people at the City of Portland, and the contractors to get there jobs done.
being a govt entity, the bureaucracy is full of red tape
as a contractor, i have worked in many businesses, in which anything tied to govt is inheriently bogged down with red tape and the proverbial "thisis the way do things" OR "we do not do that in that way", very unflexible in moderizing anything to do with the mgmt or infrasturcture.
Pros
easy work
Cons
contractor agency is cheap, no benefits, city was ok
Politics drive all decisions
Excellent benefits and compensation keep people here despite the lack of accountability for management or city council. Workplace culture is poor if your manager or bureau director is a tyrant.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
culture
Working here is great
My manager is new to management but her manager, and my second level manager is also great. Very understanding and supportive, not micromanaging everything. I would recommend the City of Portland to anyone considering a job here.
Progressive city
Portland Oregon is large enough to be diverse but small enough to retain its progressive character. In recent years, the mayors have usually been good leaders, and the city commissioners reflect Portland's diversity.
Neighborhood and city planning are well-respected, and the transit system serves the city well. The atmosphere when I worked there was exciting, but because it is a political organization, it was often competitive. Employees are expected both to maintain the city council's directives and to serve the public, so creativity and organizational ability were both required.
Pros
Progressive, community-oriented
Cons
Political issues can be challenging
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Portland, Oregon. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8