City of Raleigh NC Employee Reviews

A great work environment, but not sustainable
Front Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 9, 2018
The work environment in the City of Raleigh is very relaxed and supportive, but unfortunately the City does not provide any sustainable part-time positions in the Parks & Rec department. A second job is almost required if living alone or with a dependent.
Pros
Friendly environment, lunch breaks
Cons
No benefits, limited hours/year
The guy and ladys are like family
Transportation Field Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 22, 2018
Come in to do your job of duty,Get the supplies you will need on the job site ... weathers its drive way,side,curb and gutters...Take old concrete to dump sites.
Great place to work with outstanding benefits.
Fitness/Wellness Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 12, 2018
I enjoyed working for the City of Raleigh, great leadership, benefits and my work was the most enjoyable part of my day. I always looked forward to going into work, I taught for part of the day and spent most of my day in my office or working on a team with other members of my district and city leaders as well as building partnerships.
Pros
leaders and co-workers
Cons
pay
Good if looking for stability
Raleigh (Current Employee) –  RaleighJune 21, 2018
The organization is good if looking for job stability or decent benefits. You can be successful if you are willing to work hard and be willing to work during inclement weather.
Benefits
Cons
N/a
A place to get a paycheck
Part-time teacher's assistant for children (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 3, 2018
Management does not do what is necessary to train new employees to be successful in their new role. Turnover rate is extremely high due to poor management. Existing employees are cut-throat and back stabbers.
Pros
City of Raleigh job
Cons
City of Raleigh job and poor management
Great Supportive Place to work
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  DowntownMay 15, 2018
Wonderful Employer. A few more adjustments and it would be one of the best municipalities to work for in the country. Team Oriented atmosphere, management supportive of innovation.
Pros
Hours, flexibility, benefits
Cons
salary
It's ok
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 25, 2018
If you don't want to go at 100% most of the time then this is the life for you. Well, I guess certain departments are better than others but when you come from a fast paced private industry to this it feels like you are twiddling your thumbs. I just can't sleep in a truck and waste tax payer money like so many of the guys do. Plus the pay is pathetic unless you're in upper management. Benefits are fantastic and if you can manage to put up with slug pace for 20 years, enjoy your tax payer fed pension.
Camp Counselor
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 18, 2018
Learn a lot from the kids everyday. They learn to trust you and open up to you. Help them learn to adapt to adversity and genuinely love them as little brother or sisters.
Great! Only lacking in pay
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 18, 2018
as a shift supervisor, with 7 years with the company as a lifeguard and swim instructor, pay was low and fairly typical of a local government job. I really did not want to leave. The people there are great and I miss working there.
Working with children
Summer Camp Junior Counselor (Former Employee) –  Millbrook, NCApril 10, 2018
It was fun working with the children. I enjoyed working with the other staff at the camp, they were very nice. We went on many trips and played many games. It was very active and I got to meet many nice children and there parents
Pros
Free trips, nice staff
Fast Pace Environment
Raleigh (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 7, 2018
Fast Pace environment,which Scheduled Work,is executed in a high percentage with a high accurate. Further more, must display good discretely and Time Management Skills.
Pros
Benefits and pay vacation
Cons
Career advancement
Long Work Hourse
Summer Camp Director (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 22, 2018
I worked all day with no breaks. I was constantly on my feet and the staff that I worked with never wanted to do anything and always did the bare minimum, if that.
Good Work Experience
Temporary leaf collector (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 20, 2018
A challenging seasonal job that was good experience working with many different crew members and learning to properly use the equipment for the job and obtain gainful experience and skills.
Pros
Good Supervisor and regular work schedule
Cons
no work on days of inclement weather conditions
Flexible and enjoyable part-time job
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 19, 2018
Good place to work if need flexible hours or want to advance in aquatics management. Laid-back atmosphere but still organized. Wide variety of personalities among co-workers. Several available levels of management/part-time. Easy enough job.
Fun place to work
Office Assistant / Senior Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 14, 2018
I would recommend this job for young citizens who love to work with others in a free and fun environment. The team-oriented environment makes a way for less stress.
Great environment and colleagues.
Director, Youth Summer Program (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 14, 2018
The work environment at Raleigh Parks and Recreation was awesome. My colleagues where very engaged with all functions of the job. Management gave clear directives that were achievable.
Pros
Working with children
innovative local government IT department
Enterprise IT Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 9, 2018
The City of Raleigh's IT department supports over a dozen different departments providing innovative technological solutions to better serve the Citizens.
Relaxed working environment
Water Aerobics Instructor, Head Swim Coach (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 8, 2018
Working at a city pool can be rewarding. Knowing how much people appreciate what we do to keep them safe in the water is a great feeling. You have to know your skills since you are tested on a regular basis to make sure you are competent in a rescue situation.
challenging and also demanding
Remotes Mechanic public utilitys (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 4, 2018
I normally get to work 30 to 45 minutes early to prepare for the day.get in my work truck ,meet for early morning meeting .and get preps on what has happened over night and other active jobs being worked on . after meeting have print out of all remote sites pm jobs and write up to worked on for the day and contractors being delt with that day. I've learned how to jog monthly and daily jobs and pm,s that need to be done.at a massive amount of locations. culture is very Diverse and team work is very critical . Management allows workers to be accountable of running ,designing , and completing jobs.It is what I've been use to from my previous jobs in welding and fabrication, in the Lighting and Powerhouse back ground job . Learning the process of making water to be put out to distribution .the most enjoyable part of the job to me is the fact of delivering something to the public at a high quality and my service 365 days a year
Pros
always active
Cons
safety is a little behind compared to were I've come from . it's hard work to get them be on board
Great experience, but never more than college job
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 1, 2018
I loved this job; it was thoroughly fulfilling. however, after graduating college it just was impractical to stay. They pay was too low, the hours too few, and advancement would have taken me out of the direct program interaction which is what I loved. Ultimately it was a great stepping stone on my journey, and one I remember fondly.

All that said, I was essential my own boss, or at least for the site I was at. This experience could vary greatly based on who is directing your program or what your roles is.
Pros
Rewarding work
Cons
fair but low pay, part-time, lack of benefits, lack of advancement