City of Raleigh NC Employee Reviews

good place to work
raleigh (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 19, 2018
City of Raleigh provides opportunities for growth and advancement. Sometimes it takes a while before you hear anything about your application. Many of the positions offer training.
Pros
growth
Cons
long wait periods for responses to applications
Probably one of the greatest jobs
camp director/ marketing coordinator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 25, 2018
Spending my days taking kids. families. and groups of energetic adults on kayaking, climbing, and biking trips! What more could I ask for!? See for yourself, just don't let the municipal side of things get you down.
Pros
Getting paid to play
Cons
Advancement opportunities.
fast paced
Utility Technician (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 23, 2018
this job you have to be a self starter independent and responsible. need to be a fast learner and apy attention to detail. be one that doesnt mind working out doors and getting down in dirt, rain, holes, etc. basically dont mind getting dirty and nasty. have to over come fear of all creepy crawly things like snakes, spider, big roaches, dogs, cats, worms, grubs, and other things you have never seen before.
Pros
great benefits, race diversed, an older crowd
Cons
merit system
Learning and growth
SYSTEM CONFIGURATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 23, 2018
It was pleasant working here and fast pace. I really enjoyed learning new systems and helping the city migrate from one operating system to the next. It was great seeing how it all came together. Still looking for more opportunities there.
Okay Place to work
Recreation Program Analyst (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 20, 2018
Work was during the week, barely any weekends. Management and team could have been better. The hardest part was working with the customers and ensuring they have everything they needed.
Uplifting environment with much growth from supervisors
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 9, 2018
Working with the City of Raleigh has allowed my experience with children and family along with the general public to grow tremendously. I have learned the administration aspect of our supervisors role as well as common situations to look for when working in the community environment. The diversity within the people is amazing and I understood the demographics for programs being put in place by the community center.
Fun place to work in Recreation
Assistant Program Director, Interim Director (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 27, 2018
I greet many people throughout every day, i enjoy the environment of play and learning, i get to teach kids and adults and feed the desire to play a sport. Management is flexible and encouraging, hardest part is the endless administrative duties and meetings. I enjoy coming to work everyday for a new adventure!
Pros
work indoor or outdoor for sport
Cons
no real break and admin is heavy
It was a great place to learn and gain experience.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 24, 2018
It was a great place to learn and gain experience. I had the opportunity to work with a great group of individuals and under great supervisors. It was an overall great experience.
Enjoyable place to work
Zoning Administrator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 24, 2018
Too many staff meetings - 4 times a week there is another staff meeting, managers not responsive, dept manager very good at big picture, asst. managers not so good, tell you everything is fine but mean time they keep a track record of all you are doing - this is not disclosed up front
Pros
flexible schedule, good dept head, good relationships between other staff
Cons
asst manager poor, only out for himself
Productive and fun place to work.
Battalion Chief (Current Employee) –  City of Raleigh, NCAugust 11, 2018
I enjoyed my time with the organization. This organization allowed a lot of advancement for me and provided a lot of great benefits. The city is productive and fulfilling.
A great work environment, but not sustainable
Front Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 9, 2018
The work environment in the City of Raleigh is very relaxed and supportive, but unfortunately the City does not provide any sustainable part-time positions in the Parks & Rec department. A second job is almost required if living alone or with a dependent.
Pros
Friendly environment, lunch breaks
Cons
No benefits, limited hours/year
The guy and ladys are like family
Transportation Field Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 22, 2018
Come in to do your job of duty,Get the supplies you will need on the job site ... weathers its drive way,side,curb and gutters...Take old concrete to dump sites.
Great place to work with outstanding benefits.
Fitness/Wellness Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 12, 2018
I enjoyed working for the City of Raleigh, great leadership, benefits and my work was the most enjoyable part of my day. I always looked forward to going into work, I taught for part of the day and spent most of my day in my office or working on a team with other members of my district and city leaders as well as building partnerships.
Pros
leaders and co-workers
Cons
pay
Good if looking for stability
Raleigh (Current Employee) –  RaleighJune 21, 2018
The organization is good if looking for job stability or decent benefits. You can be successful if you are willing to work hard and be willing to work during inclement weather.
Benefits
Cons
N/a
A place to get a paycheck
Part-time teacher's assistant for children (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 3, 2018
Management does not do what is necessary to train new employees to be successful in their new role. Turnover rate is extremely high due to poor management. Existing employees are cut-throat and back stabbers.
Pros
City of Raleigh job
Cons
City of Raleigh job and poor management
Great Supportive Place to work
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  DowntownMay 15, 2018
Wonderful Employer. A few more adjustments and it would be one of the best municipalities to work for in the country. Team Oriented atmosphere, management supportive of innovation.
Pros
Hours, flexibility, benefits
Cons
salary
It's ok
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 25, 2018
If you don't want to go at 100% most of the time then this is the life for you. Well, I guess certain departments are better than others but when you come from a fast paced private industry to this it feels like you are twiddling your thumbs. I just can't sleep in a truck and waste tax payer money like so many of the guys do. Plus the pay is pathetic unless you're in upper management. Benefits are fantastic and if you can manage to put up with slug pace for 20 years, enjoy your tax payer fed pension.
Camp Counselor
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 18, 2018
Learn a lot from the kids everyday. They learn to trust you and open up to you. Help them learn to adapt to adversity and genuinely love them as little brother or sisters.
Great! Only lacking in pay
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 18, 2018
as a shift supervisor, with 7 years with the company as a lifeguard and swim instructor, pay was low and fairly typical of a local government job. I really did not want to leave. The people there are great and I miss working there.
Working with children
Summer Camp Junior Counselor (Former Employee) –  Millbrook, NCApril 10, 2018
It was fun working with the children. I enjoyed working with the other staff at the camp, they were very nice. We went on many trips and played many games. It was very active and I got to meet many nice children and there parents
Pros
Free trips, nice staff