City Of Renton

City Of Renton Employee Reviews

United States26 reviews
some nice people, management sucks.
some good people, management sucks. worms in management.they protect the worst people and let the best go.mayor hates unions.the fellow employees are generally good.
Its great
I love being part of this city! I work with special Olympics as a coach and have loved every minute of it, I think everyone should be a part of this as it is life changing
Productive and fun place to work at
Help set up the beach equipment and then monitor the safety of the public . I interacted with the public learning a lot about diversity. Hardest part of the job was to keep composure and act well under high stress situations
Pros
Free exercise
Cons
exposure to all types of weather
Okay. Other cities pay alot better
It's an okay place to work. The drawbacks are lower wages than other surrounding cities. Also, alot of homeless people and drug users. So, the work hazards are constant. I received minimal benefits.
Fun place to work
I spent my summer interning at The City of Renton and had a great time. Staff was both friendly and extremely informative about the planning field. Each person I encountered was eager to teach and encouraged questions.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Fun and Inviting
The group of staff are very team oriented. Staff meetings are fun and informative. The managers were very understanding and strict with safety of the staff and the guest. Professional when needed but could be fun when working shifts.
Typical government job with amazing employees and boss
Working for the government is in some ways very different than working in the private sector. The largest being how much they value work/life balance and excellent training opportunities. My day consisted partially of office work using MS Word and Excel to analyze traffic data and write inter-departmental memos. The other part was spent in the field setting up speed radars, interacting with residents, investigating their complaints and counting cars using road tubes.
Pros
Flexible schedule, free public transit card.
Cons
No benefits, low hourly wage
Co workers are great. Treated very well my entire enployment. It was like having a second family working there. Was never stressed about going to work.
Recreation Department
I enjoyed my time working for the City of Renton. I was able to learn more than I could ever imagine about youth sports leagues, tournaments and workouts.
Great place for a first job
There are lots of different types of jobs within the City of Renton. I got my first job as a recreation leader for their day camps and was able to gain lots of experience.
Cons
Short breaks, if any at all
Henry Moses Aquatic Center
The City of Renton provided me with a great summer job for three years (and counting) and never had a bad say. The people would lift you up and made sure you were doing well before we started everyday.
Certified Peace Officer
Stressful training program. If you want to be a police officer hear just know that the program can be grueling. If your head is not on straight when you get their then you will struggle.
Pros
pay, benefits, time off
Cons
stress, difficult training
Fun job. Very Flexible with what you want to do.
It is a pretty fun job to do. What you do during practice is pretty much up to you and you can structure the games the way you want them to be as well to an extent.
Pros
Fun to do. Good pay with little experience
Cons
Not a lot of hours
Good job experience?
I volunteered here because I needed 20 hours of community service to graduate from high school. Working there for 8 hours every Tuesday gave me about 48 hours of community service. Would recommend if you need community service hours for high school or w/e.
A great place to work.
I was an intern for the City of Renton so I'm not sure what the average day in the life for an employee is, but I thought it was a great place to work.
Excellent Situation
Overall, working for the city of Renton was, in part, seasonally outstanding. I have made some very good friends through working there. My situation was unique, therefore I cannot attest to any other average positions through the city; therefore my experience was outstanding.
Pros
Pros: Awesome Management
Cons
Cons: No benefits.
Poor management
The manager did a poor job of managing employees, she was often not present during the work day, she did not hold the same standard for employees, and did not assist her lead employees succeed.
Pros
Lunch was always given
Good place for an intern
I started at City of Renton as in intern. The work was fairly interesting for an intern at the time. Can't really complain. The supervisors and staff were really helpful during my time there.
Great benefits if you want to coast
Not challenging. It's all union so no incentive to do better for many and no rewards for individual contributors. Managers rarely promoted from within. Stereotypical city job. No education benefits and any job-related training is hard to come by.
Pros
free unlimited transit pass, good benefits, CAO decent guy
Cons
no incentive to over-achieve, management doesn't do annual reviews
Rewarding Chances to Give Back
Incredible opportunity to work with diverse populations. Fun, yet at the same time serious, work. Volunteer position, but the personal rewards are plentiful.
Pros
People
Cons
Play/drama was cancelled - several stories why - loved actors and director
Busy workplace, single programmer staff, others in IT work on individual projects.
Busy work place.
Too much to accomplish for one programmer.

BA's typically deploy and work with out of the box software and maintain and upgrade it with no programming skills.

A typical mistake may go as follows: "Someone in public works said you did somethin wrong or they did not like you", "what did they say" I ask, "I don't remember" my manager states, "Who said it?" I ask, "I don't remember" manager states, "Someone in court said they did not like you or you did something wrong. Repeat same verbage as Public Works.

Why mention anything if you manager can't remember who said it, what they said and why?

It's a do it now and why is it not completed environment with no documentation on what you are required to do and no one to help testing. All you might get is it's not working but no one will take the time to tell you what the problem is.
Pros
Pays well once you are there more than 2 years, lots of vacation and benefits.
Cons
Very bad management, hostile upper management, no communication with management or other departments.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City Of Renton. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
City Of Renton Reviews by Location