City of Richmond, VA Employee Reviews

I enjoyed my 30 plus years there
HUMAN RESOURCES CONSULTANT/PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  DowntownMarch 22, 2019
I enjoyed every year there, started immediately after high school... 1977 until 2007. Move up in company, acquired the necessary college courses to achieve my goals
Pros
Job security
Cons
Parking for some
A good place to work
Administrative Secretary to Deputy City Mgr. (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 15, 2019
It afforded me a great learning experience, skills and additional information to add to my professional toolbox. It is a great place to work. The culture of the organization is great and I recommend this employer.
Great place for classified employees who only want to do the minimum or less of their job duties and provide subpar customer service.
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  900 East Broad StreetJanuary 30, 2019
I can not in good consciousness recommend working for the City of Richmond VA as unclassified employee serving at the will of the politically motivated administration. The systemic issues at this municipality prohibit real innovation or healthy work environments. Instead find a well led and managed organization that is progressive and has a healthier culture.

One department paid millions of dollars to a consulting firm to improve the culture with virtually ZERO measurable results.
Pros
You will have job security if you are a classified employee.
Cons
Political climate, outdated technology, unhealthy culture.
excellent place to work
Diversion Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 20, 2019
Due to the rules employee are treated fairly and are allowed to give input to the mission. well organized and managed. Vision is clear and explained weekly. Good people on all levels
Job Growth
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 14, 2019
Recognition within this company was nonexistent. There was no true mission exhibited by the company nor its leaders. High turnover rate which can be understood. Probation period once hired is one year.
was a laid back job once you passed probation, which was a year.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CAJanuary 14, 2019
Had great friends there but one manager was a cut throat individual. But overall it was laid back, until you had to hurry and get a apartment ready to be moved into.
Pros
Good employees to work with. Good benefits etc
Cons
Some managers are cut throat, Must maintain a drivers license.
being at all the city Events
Matinence (Former Employee) –  Richmond Ca.November 27, 2018
well work for the City of Richmond Ca. was a great Job I Was able to start working in the morning sweeping up the front and around the Building setting up chairs and table's for events and learning about other Cultures from Wedding and Dances party and most of all the People only problem was the Guys who was there first Because they would tell me what to do then leave what I loved about the Job is Once they found out I knew the Job they had someone else give me jobe to do
Pros
it was always something going on
Cons
its always those People
High turnover in Finance department
Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 14, 2018
Poor work/life balance due to extremely high turnover in the finance department. Great location and opportunities for gaining experience and advancing in career.
Good organization to work for
Administrative Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 1, 2018
City of Richmond is a pleasant organization to work for overall. The work hours and consistent pay are enjoyable. The workplace culture is unique. I recommend this workplace.
Great atmosphere and 700 Strong!
Account Investigator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 29, 2018
Engaging atmosphere with very knowledgeable co-workers. I learned a great deal about the Public Utility sector, and the components of gas and water usage.
The workplace culture is pretty diverse for the most part we all get a long and work in a cohesive setting. The hardest part of my job can be the lack of communication when it pertains to the internal investigators vs. the field investigators. On a daily basis our job duties can cross paths, so if management makes a drastic change externally and internally we're completely out of the loop.
The most important part of my job consist of my Advocacy work during my outside field events where I educate members of our community on gas awareness. Also about financial assistance to prevent disconnection of service.
Pros
There is a since of family where we are all answer by first name basis.
Cons
Our healthcare benefits could be a little more manageable.
chill workplace
Payment Processor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 8, 2018
a fast paced environment that requires constant attention to detail, family oriented atmosphere and great employees to work with. The ability to deal with angry customers is a must
Great Organization
Contract Specialist - Department of Public Works (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 26, 2018
Team atmosphere, great environment, and work-life balance. Great place to work, although, there are few opportunities for real professional development and opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Great work environment and teammates
Cons
Not many opportunities for advancement
Ok
Auto Mechanic (Current Employee) –  FleetSeptember 5, 2018
The isn't bad it's management u can earn time off starts at 7 in the morning off st 4 I can operate most equipment and even take over the shop I can supervise if needed
Pros
Cons
Brezk and paid timd off
Good people in fast paced office
Zoning Officer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 20, 2018
As part of the community development office, I helped process building permits by inspecting properties, meeting with owners, assisting with zoning laws, researching histories of properties.
Pros
hours
Cons
technology was not up-to-date
A political organization
Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 15, 2018
Although the city of Richmond does have talented employees, it simply does not have enough of them, and is having a difficult time of changing their culture to a more modern, customer-focused, computer-oriented team culture.
Happy
Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CAAugust 15, 2018
Well I did not work in Richmond VA it was Richmond CA. I liked that place more then working in El cerrtio . Only cause I could vibe more with the people round me
Pros
City work
Cons
It was only six months
Good work place for stability
Custodial Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 22, 2018
Very good place to work, I enjoyed the diversity. I also enjoy my customers both internal and external. A typical day at work was to see that all staff was on site. Then meeting with contractors, executives, and salespeople.
Pros
Benifits health and financial
Cons
Very fast pace
Productive place to work
Executive Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 11, 2018
I've been working for the City of Richmond for 18 years in various positions. Overall, working for the City of Richmond is very rewarding. However, compensation is one of the reasons the City of Richmond has so much turnover.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
Benefits are not the best
team work
Senior Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 9, 2018
we work very well together as a team. I learn to be more open to customers to make sure they are sacrificed to the fullest. the workplace culture is awesome. the hardest part of this job is the turn over. we go through really good team player. the most enjoyable part of my job is making everyone smile.
Pros
freedom to move
Cons
low pay
Too much red tape
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 26, 2018
Lots of jumping through hoops and door slams. Very hard to help citizens with so many road blocks. High turnover. New people every month it seems. Low leniency. Poor supervision.