City of Roanoke Employee Reviews

It was a good place to work.
Technology Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 27, 2018
It was a good place to work. I liked most of the people. Budgets are tight at local governments so not very high pay. There is not much turnover or promotion potential.
busy and helpful to the community
Intake worker (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 30, 2018
The environment was laid back but busy, staff was helpful, I enjoyed the work and staff. I've met some really nice people who have definitely had patience with training and I would to find other employment within the organization but i have not been contacted on any job postings that i have applied for.
Pros
no advancement
Cons
learned new things, skills
Human Resources Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 10, 2018
Good place to work. Helpful colleagues. Career advancement is slow due to the nature of the organization that is local government. Rate of retirement is slow therefore, young professionals do not get a lot of opportunities to advance quickly.
Very productive and community perspective
Technology Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 5, 2018
My experience is that most employees, including leadership, have a passion for being good stewarts of the finances for the community and make decision with input from the citizens we serve.
I would do it again
HAT Case Aide (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 1, 2018
It is a great place to work and the staff was family like everyday! If this position had full time employment, I would have stayed. Even working with the clients, it was a pleasure going to work and helping them everyday!
Pros
Small staff close work relationship
Cons
Part time no full time position was available
I have wonderful memories from working with the City.
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 28, 2018
Working with the City of Roanoke was one of my happiest times. I started at the bottom as a Secretary, and within 6 years was promoted to a Senior Secretary, then reclassified as an Administrative Secretary, and ended my time there by landing a promotion as an Executive Secretary. I looked forward to going to work every day.
Organization overall is a good place to work
Project Manager - Department of Technology (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 12, 2017
The I.T. department was a very toxic work environment. Leadership was poor and abusive. The morale within the department was very low. I would not recommend working in this department.
Work Ethics
Account Technician (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 30, 2017
It is productive, has team players and fun workplace to work. The company has good benefits, sessions for workplace ethics, supervisors, developing your inner self and career.
benefits
Poor upper management in DSS department
Benefit Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 2, 2017
Director has favorites, chief of benefits lives with one supervisor, and is the sibling of one of her direct reports. Would not recommend working in the Social Services department unless you are ok with constant changes without taking into account how it will affect employees.
Pros
a paycheck, made a few good friends.
Cons
everything else.
Slow to change culture
Accounting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 17, 2017
Work culture and environment were not conducive to a Team mentality. Very fast paced day. Learned governmental accounting and had the opportunity to work with several great managers.
I held several different positions in multiple departments within the organization.
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 6, 2017
I enjoyed the different positions that I held while employed by the organization which improved my knowledge of a municipality and the functions that were completed by the employees.
Pros
I enjoyed working with the people in the different departments that I was assigned to.
Good place for advancement
Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 15, 2017
This is a good company to work for! There is job security and good benefits. I would recommend this job! The hardest part of the job is dealing with the current climate of the country!
Great Organization Overall; Supervisor Not Helpful
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 13, 2017
The City of Roanoke is a government organization that is a great place to work. I did not get the best experience, however, because I was hired to do one job and was expected to learn another. I did not enjoy it, but I do wish I could try it again.
ground maintance
Groundskeeper/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 14, 2017
I enjoy working with a crew mowing parks throughout the city of Roanoke, Virginia. Also dealing with the public when they see an area that needed to be mowed.
Pros
setting up for events
Cons
working with old equipment.
Great place to gain experience on many levels
POLICE OFFICER II (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 10, 2016
This job offers a wide variety of duties, from dealing with the criminal element, to engaging in meaningful conversations with active community members. Co-workers in this profession always have your back and rapport is always good. Management is good, although there can be confusion between management and those he/she supervises due to frequent assignment changes. The hardest part of the job is dealing with death. The most enjoyable part is being able to provide a positive influence through interactions with the general public.
The best job of my career to date.
Teen Librarian (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 24, 2016
As the Teen Librarian for Roanoke Public Libraries I worked in the most supportive and well-managed department I have belonged to so far.
Pros
Encourage creative thought and independence.
Cons
None even worth mentioning.
love working with the kids
Front Desk Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 23, 2016
The summer program is fun for kids and very active. My job was to keep records and collect payments. The company seems very nice however, they don't pay much for the work entailed.
Pros
fun enviroment dont feel like work
Cons
unorganized and low pay
Electrical repairs
Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 22, 2016
Find ways to save money through electrical upgrades by installing better lighting. I also up the mechanical motors in the HVAC units.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 9, 2015
I had a very good supervisor it was only part time so I was not there for long but I really like that tpye of employment. I like setting up stages and music equipment the work hours
Pros
Haveing a good employer
Cons
Every one was nice
Clean air and Good people
Structural supervisor/Project manager (Former Employee) –  City of RoanokeFebruary 10, 2015
Deversity and strong moral backing combined with flexible hour , it is a great place to work if your policialy correct. I the facility dept there is a need for a strong team oriatated manager which make the overall postion graet.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Roanoke. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Roanoke Reviews by Location