City of Rochester Employee Reviews

I give the city overall 4
Manager of Energy Conservation (Former Employee) –  City of Rochester, NYApril 17, 2018
My experience at the city was a good experience. Political positions are always a concern. My job allowed me the opportunity help the people of (Roc)
Pros
Great benefits healthcare pension
Cons
Great place to work if you are civil service qualified
Senior Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 16, 2018
As a Senior Dispatcher I trained seasonal to permanent dispatchers on the procedures and how to utilize our computer system for tracking crew work.These dispatchers were then assigned to different areas of the departments within the Operations Bureau I also did an assessment of damage done by city crew while snowplowing and assisted in getting the situations corrected. Management was great, flexible, open to suggestions, and in general fun to work with. The hardest part of the job was working long hours during weather related emergencies and working with unions and employee complaints.The best part of the job was watching our system, planning and crews come together and get the job done in weather related emergencies or just day to day projects. We were diversified in culture which taught me alot about the City and it growing Hispanic and African American population. I worked with a great bunch of people.
Pros
Benefits, People, pay and retirement
Cons
long hours, politics's, and people disputes
Cleaning the library is interesting
Maintenance Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 3, 2018
Very nice supervisor. Understanding and yet firm. This is a dream come true. I have always loved libraries and now i have the pleasure of keeping it clean
Pros
not a hard job
Cons
not enough hours availbe
Brief experience
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 14, 2018
This was a part time desk job, that I took a test for and passed. This was also a job that to me was an honor and privilege to be a part of. But I love the Health Care field far more then this place, so to me it was not quite the challenge.
Pros
Able to dress casual
Cons
lack of hours
My review is overall great
Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 19, 2018
Typical day is very busy from the morning until the end of the day.. My day starts with payroll, injury reports and processing motor vehicle reports. I have learned to help my fellow workers in what ever way i can. Management is heavily involved. Strong work culture. The hardest part of my job is getting my co workers to understand how much my job means to me. My fellow co-workers are the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Parties
Cons
when there is tension in the air.
N/a
Treasury / Finance - Payroll & Tax Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 2, 2018
It can be good working for the City, but there are definitely disadvantages based on who you affiliate with, network with, or know. These factors can determine if you advance in your job or if you remain in the position in the long-run or are possibly laid off if you speak up when you see a need.
Pros
Government job
Cons
Not as organized and more bureaucratic then other levels of government.
productive and exciting
Day Camp Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 19, 2017
I enjoyed working for the city of Rochester great work experience and i also enjoyed working with the public. my job consisted of working with the youth being a positive role model assisting their children with clothing shelter resources and providing a safe place to hang out
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no health care
What I learned about Public education
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NHNovember 21, 2017
I went into teaching to teach children, however, the job became more about the adults.I spent most of my time fulfilling adult agendas rather than concentrating on the students.However, the students validated the excellence of my teaching style on a daily basis.... and that is why I taught.
Pros
I love teaching the students
Cons
City and state politics created an environment of failure for teachers and students
a fun loving job for anyone just looking for a quick buck
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NHOctober 2, 2017
you go to work at 7 in the morning get the pool ready for the swim lessons after swim lessons the pool is tested for chemical ratio stand the entire day watching the pool maintaining a positive and safe environment for pool patrons.
good
Cleaner/Janitor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 1, 2017
Come in an clean whole building everyday an learned how to work around people. Very resourceful community center, hardest part of job is seeing people hurt or sad, most enjoyable thing is being to be able to interact with a lot of good people.
Great Workplace
Flower City AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  OTR ProgramAugust 18, 2017
Very Relaxed and a great way to meet new people who are trying to better their situations.I work for the Americorps program so i really dont know how it really is to work for the city. I have gotten the chance to volunteer for a position through my program and i did enjoy it. When help was needed i was there and i learned a lot of skills also from this program to carry me in the future.
Nice place to work
Clerk/Service Representative Bilingual (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 18, 2017
We are a small group of people in the city department and therefore are extremely busy with not much time to take a break. We have to deal with grieving families and their moods could take a toll on you when they feel we are not doing enough for their loved ones. Although stressful, this is a nice place to work with good benefits, flexibility with personal appointments, and good management.
Productive environment
Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 10, 2017
Great company to work for. Have been with the City for approximately 13 years and for the most part, have been very satisfied. However, I just need more hours.
Nice but aggressive workplace.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  LibraryJune 15, 2017
Due to so many patrons going in and out of the library, there were alto of personalities you come in contact with. Because of my job description, I was mostly on the receiving end of alot of frustration.
Benefits
Cons
Aggresive patrons
I enjoyed my staff and the work we did
Senior Professional Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  115 South AveJune 5, 2017
We worked to train people to improve their employment skills. To assist them with finding employment and break their cycle of poverty. Researching trends in training, employment, and retention so those we worked with could have a better way of life.

The work culture in my area was good but had its challenges at times. The difficult part of the job was building a good team with varying work styles and skills. Knowing how to place people together but wanting all staff to work cohesively.

We did great work with consistent changes.
Pros
love for the job
Cons
lack of trust
Excellent
Engineer Technician (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 20, 2017
I loved the benefits, people, and excellent opportunity's this position provided. Hope this will be acceptable for a review. Have a good day. Just need 150
Excellent benefits and pay, but management inconsistent
IT Transitions Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 20, 2017
I worked for the City of Rochester, NY for over 20 years in various capacities. Like any other government, management can change every 4 years. Unfortunately the management has changed quite a bit in the last few years, and a lot of employees have been hired who may have their own interests at heart instead of the City's. Management currently is inconsistent and lacks in knowledge. Some positions within the City have very regular hours, and time off can easily be taken. Others work well over the 40 per week, and have to really work hard to be able to take time off.
Pros
Benefits, time off, pay.
Cons
Inconsistent management, who you know not your work for promotion.
having a good relationship with coworkers and customer
Maintenance Mechanic I (Current Employee) –  PSB 185 ExchangeFebruary 17, 2017
having a good relationship with co-workers and customers and by being at work on time every day and treat your co-workers and customers with respect
Pros
Heaven good benefits
Cons
I have none
Learned many things
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 12, 2017
Doing this job is more than just watching swimmers, we had to stay sharp on our skills and agility to perform the job effectively. The most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that I was capable of keeping the facility safe.
Pros
Family work environment
Cons
Seasonal employment
Environmental Services Seasonal Laborer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 29, 2017
Really liked working there, good work environment. People help you out when you are stuck. But for the most part, you pretty much know what to do, and the day goes by quick.