City of Rockville

City of Rockville Employee Reviews

No room to grow
It’s okay if you’re looking for part time work . Schedule made a month in advance. Can work at other community centers as well. Kid friendly and you can work on school papers if you’re a student
Pros
Schedule month in advance
Cons
No room to grow
Easy
I had a great experience working with the City of Rockville—I felt comfortable in my position, all of the staff was kind, and never felt on edge about my job security. They helped me wonderfully in compensating for my knee surgery, and my managers and directors were in control but never too strict.
Easy going staff and upper management
City of Rockville provided ample opportunity to grow and provide knowledge based on past experience. I enjoyed working there and if an upper level position opened up, would love to go back.
It’s a good company
A really good company to work for friendly people they offer help when you need it good pay good benefits good retirement You can move around in department
fun work place
Working with the city of rockville is a great experience that I honestly wish everyone could experience, everyone feels like family! you are always welcomed with a smile from someone.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Stepping stone agency
Police Department shares patrol and investigative responsibility with Montgomery County Police Department. MCPD handles follow-up on major crimes though City patrol may take initial report. MCPD also handles tactical operations though city patrol may assist on perimeter and traffic/crowd control.
There are few specialized positions. Traffic Unit is gone. Street Crimes was merged into investigations which handles burglaries, non-commercial robberies, background investigations, and some aggravated assaults,

Department does not participate in MCPD in-service training as do other county agencies, preferring "internal training" such as PERF de-escalation training.. Emphasis is on avoiding conflict and citizen complaints as discipline is strict.

Numerous newly promoted sergeants and lieutenants which will limit promotion unless more supervisory positions created.

Pay and benefits are initially very good, but do not remain competitive with other agencies as tenure increases.

Department's primary mission is competition with MCPD to show need for a separate city agency.
Pros
Liberal take-home cruiser policy due to limited parking at headquarters and city hall.
Cons
Limited opportunities for specialized positions and promotions.
Good Place to work
-Management is ok but could be better.
-Coworkers are great and always willing to help when needed

-Task are not difficult

Independent Workers Delight
There is no typical day. It varies and is great for independent and autonomous workers. My supervisor is amazing, and is a strong manager. It is self-directed.
Lots of Fun
I Loved working for the City of Rockville summer camp. It was one of the best jobs I every had. The staff was very nice. If was very educational and fun.
Pros
Love working with the Kids
Cons
I wish I could work longer
Cool
I enjoyed this as a teenager because it taught me about responsibilities as well as getting along with team members
I didn’t work with them for long as it was a summer job before starting high school.
Don't know
it is a fun place to work. Especially the area where I work Glen View Mansion. People are nice and easy going, no stress at all just take care of the house and that is all.
Pros
nice people
Cons
no raised
Camp Counslor
Good experience for working with kids of all ages. Good collaborative effort experience and great starter job for people that enjoy city of rockville summer camps.
Awesome City great place to live and work
Awesome City and great place to work. The Mayor is wonderful the city is beautiful and very family kid friendly. Great programs for all ages, also senior citizen friendly.
Pros
job security
Poor management
Working outside in all type of weather conditions. The pay is extreme low and the supervision for this comparison is very unfair and have their favorites.
fun work place
Fun work place. Lots of opportunity. kid friendly. My most enjoyable part of the job is working in the sports department. What i've learned while working is the city of rockville has a lot to offer to families and the entire community
Strong commitment to assist city residents.
Strong commitment to provide services to city residents particularly those on the verge on becoming homeless. The community service department interest in prevention at the elementary and middle school level allowed for partnership with the school district and business.
Pros
Great work hours flexibility.
Cons
Service Eligibility limited to city residents.
helpful to others, rewarding, productive
always talking on the phone answering questions about the housing program
review housing applications

issue or deny housing applications

conducting meetings with new housing developers

preparing and submitting invoices for payment

monitoring government contracts
Pros
Helping people with their affordable housing needs
Cons
not being able to hwlp more people with affordable housing
Better now that there is a new CEO
Times have changed and the atmosphere here was not the best. A lot of discontented employees since there has been no merit increases in 5 years and several years without a COLA. Our COLA the last few years has been minimal yet still no merit increases. Benefits are very good and there is some flexibility in the workday. There is room for advancement, but can sometimes be very hard to achieve.
benefits
Cons
no merit increases in years
Fun environment
Super flexible and worked around my schedule. Enjoyable experience and getting to meet new people. Only downfall would be when you have to work with another umpire and they don't know the rules
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Family oriented
The City is a good place to work especially if you have a family or trying to go to school. It is also good to work there to get community hours for school.
Volunteering for the first time
Good work place and staff. I learned that this was a good opportunity to grow as a person, because I was really shy before this. The hardest part of the job was getting out of my comfort zone and communicating well with others. The most enjoyable part was being myself and helping out whenever I can.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Rockville. Our community is ready to answer.
City of Rockville Reviews by Location