City of San Antonio
Happiness rating is 64 out of 100

City of San Antonio Employee Reviews

City of San Antonio insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Good hour, bad moral

Good hours, bad moral. Directors and managers look down on you. They have. Point system and it's ridiculously crazy. Great coworkers and great benefits.

Pros

Hours

Cons

Looked down on and favoritism

Great

Great place to work for. Been workin here for quite a while. Its comfortable and all which will make me complacent. U could possibly move up if they like you.

Bad place to try to advance in life

I love the job but your importance means nothing they can always replace with some young kid who is always on their phone and be ok with them and muchych would be said

There was no balance of employee and employer.

I really enjoyed being able to give back to my community and assisting them. However I feel that employees give so much and yet don't get the compensation and recognition that they should get. When there is shortages those employees that stay do so much and are overworked.

Pros

Being able to give back to the community.

Cons

There is favoritism and it's obvious who will get promoted and who won't.

The amount of training and development given

I loved working here...until my department got a new director. It was a very positive experience and what we did was important work for the community.

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Great benefits and work schedule, room for growth. The hiring process was really lengthy but worth the wait if you really want to get in with the city

Pros

Weekends off

Cons

Short breaks

It can be an easy job

Just do your part. Show up to work on time and give it your best. Your co-workers will appreciate you more if you do that if all of y’all are working like that on a team. Management is alright, could be better. Some supervisors are not that great, some are.

Pros

Easy Money

Cons

Not enough pay

Overworked and underpaid

I started working for the city as a heavy equipment mechanic. I came from an aviation background with some experience in heavy equipment. I was told that on the job training would be provided, but it wasn't. Most of the time, it was trial and error. While I was told to ask for help, management would get frustrated with continuous requests for help. Safety is something that is laughable at this job. They make it seem like a big deal while permitting other things that are unsafe. We're constantly busy, but that's because we have more units to work on than any other work center. Upper management is constantly changing things around. Making us work Saturdays due to a lack of foresight or scheduling on their part. We've not had a raise going on two years due to the coronavirus. There's honestly too much to mention on a quick review. The only good thing about this place is the job security and benefits.

Pros

Benefits, job security

Cons

Upper management adding more work, shop politics, pay, atmosphere.

Typical Government Position

This is a stereotypical government job. There are twice as many people to do half as much work. A no stress situation at least, but not very fullfilling at times.

Paid holidays

Lazy complacent people work here and there is no communication within departments and demanding supervisors compensation does not match the workload and horrible department directors

Pros

Holidays

Cons

Pay, work culture, advancement, department directors, lazy coworkers

Jobs at City of San Antonio

See more jobs

Not that great, better pay and work environment elsewhere

You can advance as long as you stab other people in the back. Or have a family member to get you there. Not a good culture to be in with bad pay. Benefits are average. Not recommended, wasted 10 years here and moved on to something much better. Management in solid waste weak.

Pros

Tool allowance

Cons

Bad culture, and pay. Weak management.

Lots of fun, greeting kids and families

Loved working here. Only left because I moved from San Antonio. Having same days off as kids let's you make money and still be with your kids. Families and kids are great. I still have contact with the families even though I live in another state.

Pros

Have same days off as school kids

Cons

Working in extreme weather conditions

Be nice and stand firm

If you mind your business and do your work, people will give you more work. If you can handle that, you will get more work. If you can handle that, then the promotions start coming. If you have a connection though, you can skip the first 2 and just get to making big money. If you ever see something that's not right and want to speak up, be careful, it might cost you your job. All that aside, I have worked at many places and this is the easiest. No reason anyone should ever complain.

Pros

Benefits, pension, easiest work you will ever do.

Cons

Have morals or the opposite opinion.

Good experience

You get good experience from working at COSA but there is so much red tape and consistent need to please your superiors when sometimes its not in the best interest of the public.

Pros

Good benefits

Stressful

New give sufficient information mostly all the time you have to ask coworkers or google it. Supervisor on hand never helps out and don't even expect to get recognized nor valued especially NEVER EVER expect support of any kind at all.

Pros

Not much really

Cons

Management/Director

Great place to work if you are a veteran like my self. Great benefits. Like a lot or jobs 2 week notice before an appointment. Would recommended job to friends

Great place to work.

I am left alone to do my job. My supervisor and manager are approachable, helpful, and easy to talk to. The benefits and paid time off really can't be beat.

Pros

Benefits and paid time off. Good pay.

Cons

Very good benefits, flexible schedule, and job security

As a 911 Operator/Call Taker every day is practically the same. Plugged into a desk with 2 computers and 4 screens the entire 8 hour shift (minus a 45 minute lunch-which is not always guaranteed). Some days are slow, but many days are busy with back to back calls, especially when we are short staffed. High turn over rate, but a plus is that there's usually opportunity for overtime and the compensation is great. Managers and assistant managers are great, but there are few direct supervisors that know how to do their job and who do it well. Many supervisors are rude and seem bothered when you ask for help- this in addition to rude callers makes the job stressful; Moral is typically low because of this and the fact that there isn't much room for advancement. Seems like advancement is based on who you know and/or who likes you on a personal level (not how well you perform on a professional level).The most enjoyable part of the job is being of service to citizens in their most dire time of need and knowing you've made an impact or saved a life/lives; the hardest part is the emotional impact that may be associated with this-in addition to the low moral and negativity in the workplace. Best advice: learn your job, do it well and keep to yourself.

Fun Place to Work

I really enjoyed my time working here. What made it worthwhile was my boss and teammates. The compensation was on the lower end, but this is due to the fact that it's public service. You do get to be exposed to range of areas for professional development.

Not results-driven

Low pay, mediocre benefits, promotion not based on meritThe culture is toxic and dishonest, unfortunately. You can hang on, but you cannot thrive in this environment.

Good job but bad management

The benefits are good but the culture is horrible. Managers see employees as just another number. There’s no regard for employee’s complaints regarding hostile managers.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of San Antonio. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.9
InHerSight Score
3.2Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight