City of San Antonio
Happiness rating is 63 out of 100

City of San Antonio Employee Reviews

United States349 reviews

citysancosadepartmentretirementbenefitpubliccommunity

Okay place to start off in.

Immediate supervisors are good people. Higher ups not so sure. Competitive pay non-existant. Dot exam thru concentra very strict. Placing almost everyone on cpap machine.

Unorganized, lots of gossip

Nothing good to say. People gossip, no diversity, poor communication. The people in charge do not care about the community. So many people and supervisors are desperate to leave.

City of San Antonio insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction

Management needs improvement

They don't work with your schedule and it often changes even without notice. The management and supervision doesn't help, or appreciate their employees. The pay is decent and benefits are comparable to most private companies. I suppose it depends what dept you work in whether it's worth it

Good security and long-term benefits like any government job

I really enjoyed my time there, but keep in mind with any sort of city/gov work it is going to have its fair share of logistical/bureaucratic concerns and frustrations. That being said, your experience will depend on where/who you work with. People will come and go and at some point you tend to hit a ceiling unless you have a higher degree so keep that in mind. Otherwise if you are comfortable with consistency and would like security it's not bad.

Great place

You work hard, turn over moderate, pay is ok, and technology is behind. Be sure to be people person, adaptable, willing to follow. Not much standardization but it’s ok you have your peers and supervisors.

Toxic work environment

Management is based solely on degrees and not experience, hard to get time off, many supervisors do not know what theyre doing, created a toxic work environment

I worked with the city for many years and it treated me well. Pay is decent but they definitely need to work in that otherwise employees may need a second job to get by. Advancement doesn’t come often due to positions limited. Hours are great though 630-3 Monday through Friday

Pros

Great place to work, easiest job you’ll ever do, hours

Cons

Pay, advancement

Good

Overall a great volunteering experience, would highly recommend to a friend. I volunteered at the COVID vaccination drives and it was one of the most meaningful volunteer experiences I had in recent history.

the work was productive and lay back with no pressure to perform your duties

My day starts with picking up the senior and bringing them and taking them back at the end of the day helping with coworker teamwork to do what is needed at hand to perform the duties of the facility the management team is a great team to work for the comrade is good didnt have any bad time while working there

Great benefits

City of San Antonio offers some of the best benefits I’ve seen and the leave that is given is amazing couldn’t believe how they give out different types of leave

Different setting and environment than a regular dental office

Place is cool and you get to set up a team for the most part. days are short for the most part and is a different kind of setting and environment than your traditional dental office. nice change of pace .

COSA is an awesome place to work !

I had an amazing experience as Director of Policy! I loved my job. My Chief of Staff was an amazing leader and I enjoyed working with my the various department leaders and my peers peers.

Sweatshop and you will never be valued.

Executive Management will never care about you so long as you keep sacrificing yourself for them. They are always right because they have been there 25 years because they hate change! Save yourself the mental grief and look elsewhere!

Steady work and training patients

Enjoyed work, had time to be trained. Always work to be proud of. Worked all over the city. Sometimes work became a high load when projects came to an end

It was great in the beginning, or so I thought.

It's just like any other government job. The higher ups help each other and cr*p on the people at the bottom that actually do the hard work. It was a hard lesson to relearn.

Lots of work

Good job security and alot of overtime if you want it. Con not a place to work if you want growth. The department is very political and your job is based off of that

Benefits

it's a great environment with some opportunity for advancement. you are able to move within your scope of expertise and can choose a field you want to Excell in.

Pros

lunches

Cons

hard to get in

Sad to say I would not recommend

There is a toxic culture and the pay especially in comparison to other places in Texas large or small is indicative, ACA’s are grossly underpaid by COSA.

Government Employer that's pretty good

Excellent job security Managers are friendly and mentioning opportunities to move up.So long has you do what your supposed to it's a easy environment at parks and recreation.

Pros

Its the city government

Cons

Its the city government

High paced and very stressful but it’s not so bad once you get the hang of it.

Job is very stressful and not for everyone. Really need to make an effort in learning and trying to work at a fast pace. You NEED TO BE ABLE TO MULTI-TASK. If you apply yourself it’s not so hard. There is a point system so you can’t forget to clock in or out, be even a minute late, can’t call in or leave early with out them adding a bunch of points. To many points can cause termination. You will work during weekends and all holidays are mandatory. You will be mandated to stay another full shift if short staffed. All supervisors are nice and helpful when you need it. Co-workers are also nice and try to help with what they can.

Pros

Benefits, fair pay, 2 breaks in the day

Cons

Mandatory stay, work every holiday, point system

Great place to work if you’re looking for long term

I can say I love my job and the people I work with. The only reason I’m leaving is due to money. If I could earn a pay increase at a faster rate or take into consideration my time with the company instead of starting me at the bottom of the pay scale would be great

Pros

Great people, city vehicles, good benefits

Cons

Hard to move out of some departments

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of San Antonio. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.9
InHerSight Score
3.2Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight