City of San Antonio Employee Reviews

all around
Side Load Operator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 3, 2018
As a city employee, there is advancement but not for right reason. As far as what you know about the job, rather of who you know. Management does nothing all day, and because they are in those positions, they abuse the system. The management doesn't back their employees. And the City director doesn't either. They have a panel that says whether you are in the right or wrong when you have an accident. And NONE of them have a CDL license. So how can you judge me where I come from when you have never been where I been. They are cover themselves first before they cover their employees. And the City is afraid of charging the public for their mistakes. They spend millions of dollars on trying to cut costs here and there, when they need to start cutting the tops of the list salaries.
Pros
retirement
Cons
lowest salary
Productive fun place to work and learn
LVN - Metro Health/WIC (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 5, 2018
A typical day at work would be to unlock the doors for business, hear children cry starting at 7:45am all the way to 7:45pm. Counsel parents or pregnant women on nutrition. I learned about team work. Management had to follow rules and regulations or the city would step in and get things in order. The city was not to friendly about culture unless it has to do with Fiesta. The hardest part of the job was to keep quiet about rude managers. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping individuals that wanted help.
Pros
Free lunch at meetings
Cons
only 1 supervisor was mean to her employees, although she would follow you and keep poking your shoulder, other supervisor
Ever Changing
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 13, 2018
Monitor CCTV for 30 library branches and respond effectively. Secure Central location branch. Assist personnel with overnight matters and work with alarm monitoring company. I've learned how to read various behaviors. I feel that management should consider the opinions of their subordinates a little more. Workplace is friendly most of the time. The hardest part of the job is keeping busy to stay awake. The benefit package and competitive pay is the best part of the job to me.
Pros
Benefit Packeges
Cons
N/a
consistent but can come with long hours
Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 26, 2018
Overall, working for the COSA is pretty consistent on the day to day. The people you work with are great and you have a fair sense of what your job duties are. Because the culture of the City Manager is corporate, you are expected to work hard and work late and/or weekends if you have not completed what you need to get done at a satisfactory level. This can be based on how efficient you are with your work load and/or it can also be that it is a certain time of the year where your job will be more demanding than at other times. Alot of it also depends on which department you are in. Overall, I would recommend this job just because of the stability and the opportunity for movement is always available after a few years across departments.
Pros
benefits, health programs, great people
Cons
corporate culture, long hours, commute and traffic is horrendous getting into downtown
Under paid and over worked.
SAN ANTONIIO (Current Employee) –  SAN ANTONIIOJuly 9, 2018
The City will over work you and under pay you. They do offer Comp-time but you will never have the ability use it. Most of the times management will most likely deny it. Also it dose not matter how hard you work,you will never have the opportunity for advancement. Unfortunately management does not care for their employees and you can get fired for any little reason.
Pros
I got to work downtown.
Cons
Everything.
Needed better managment
Adoption/ Animal Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 6, 2018
General City Benefits are good but work environmant at this specific location was very stressful. A lot of changes have been made in upper management since I left so I do not know how things currently function.
great place to work at, i recoomed people to apply there.
SURVEYOR (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 29, 2018
I love working for the city. The city offers great benefits. They more than match your 401 plan contributions, good medical insurance, and time off for personal or sick leave, also school reimbursement.

I enjoy the job I do. I get along with my co-workers. I am a surveyor and when we start a new job first we start finding property corners, than we mark our stations, usually every 50’. We set two points with GPS, with our two control points than we ca run an elevation loop, anchor the job. After all this we are ready to start the survey. In the City, we use the Topcon total station, Sokkia robotic, and GPS. We also use a tablet and a data collector. I had worked 6 years as a surveyor in Laredo, TX but I have learn a lot here in the city.

I enjoy the city and its friendly atmosphere. I recommend the city to anyone. It is a great place to work.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No overtime
Great Training Department
City Staff Trainer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 14, 2018
Overall I have no complaints about the city of San Antonio. Work/life balance is okay, pay could be better, but if you are looking to earn big bucks don't go into city government. Good retirement benefits. Health care costs are a little expensive
Fast paced, challenging
Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 16, 2018
It has a been a great opportunity working for the City of San Antonio. The benefits and trainings are amazing, and the people truly care about one another. Personal and professional growth is important and they take the time to show that.
City of San Antonio - TCI
Senior Planner - GIS Team Leader, Certified (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78284September 16, 2018
As a Senior Planner - GIS Team Leader for the City's Storm Water Utility Fee has been very beneficial for my career in GIS. Every day I continue to learn and utilize geoprocessing tools needed to conduct workflows. I have been very pleased working for the department and look forward to accomplishing future goals and bench marks.
Work life balance
Senior Video Producer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 10, 2018
You should have a clean record before applying. Have a good driving record as well. Lots of Politics. Managers will not get work life balance, you will always put work before your family.
Pros
Non-managers will have a better experience but not better pay.
Cons
Dont work for people you dont trust
Fantastic Place to Work!
Community Services Supervisor (TEMP) (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 3, 2018
I was contract Temp. I wish I could have been permanent and stayed until I retired. I LOVED every day of my work there. Management was awesome! I worked at the Huantes Community Learning Center.

I had freedom to improve the facility, daily operations systems and office culture and service delivery.
Pros
I felt trusted, valued and respected
Cons
temp job
Fun place with out of touch Management
Recreation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 21, 2018
Great place to work. Management completely clueless. The pay is great and the benefits are great also. Just not happy with the direction the city has gone as far as the inner city youth goes.
Horrible place to work, unprofessional, favoritism.
Sanitation Collector (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 20, 2018
It’s not what you know it’s who you know and who you are related to. So much unprofessionalism and favoritism in the signs department. You do things by the book and practice safety and they ask why you are taking so long at a work location. A lot of equipment is outdated and doesn’t work and again they blame the technicians as to why they are working slow or not getting the job done. They say take initiative but it never ends well. No room to grow, cut throat work environment. Can’t trust anyone. No motivation.
Pros
Paternity leave, Christmas vacation, paid holidays.
Cons
Underpaid, no leadership, inadequate work equipment, no room for growth
Amazing benefits
Senior Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 8, 2018
The pay was HORRIBLE. The team was great, but my supervisor was the worst I've ever had in my life. The benefits are the best I've ever had (to include the military).
Pros
Benefits!
Cons
Pay, leadership
good benefits
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 16, 2018
Medical and retirement, good pay in comparison to other entities, good leadership and support wellness initiatives. Promote Good customer service and teamwork.
Cons
no opportunity for advancement without degree
bcb
Recreation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 31, 2018
We personally commit to continuous improvement and personal growth. We take pride
in producing high-quality work and in delivering exceptional service to internal and
external customers. We exhibit pride in professional appearance, language and behavior.
We assume responsibility for a clean and safe work area. We maintain composure in
challenging situations. We respect others, express sincere appreciation, and positively
influence those around us. We are dedicated ambassadors for the City of San Antonio
and the community.
Great Place to Get Started
Learning Management Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 28, 2018
Great Place to Get Started in your career in Business and Human Resources. Although I am not sure if they really look at their talent within to carry on with business continuity.
Acceptable
Maintenance worker for Parks and Recreation Dept (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 19, 2018
Acceptable employment. Management was overall easy to work with and for the most part fair. Coworkers were acceptable. There was a lack of communication due to the language barrier.
Working in fear due to bad management and supervision
Code Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 3, 2018
No room for opportunity unless somebody retires or leaves,

Cut throat environment. No help from peers. Sink or swim, Professional development is encourage but not practiced.
Pros
Na
Cons
Not a good place to work or to consider a career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of San Antonio. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight