City of San Antonio Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
very fast paced
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 25, 2018
was a good job but was a contract worker with no benefits and no sick leave and no vacation time but the money was good you could work over time if need be
Pros
good job
Cons
no benefits
It’s a good place to work
Equipment Operator/Truck DriverEquipment operator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 17, 2018
It’s good place to work,you only Monday through Thursday and there’s overtime too. Majority all holidays are off with me. Time punch in is at 7:15 to 6:00 every day Monday through Thurday
Pros
Working Monday through Thursday n most holidays off with pay
Cons
Every is happy
Ever Changing
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 13, 2018
Monitor CCTV for 30 library branches and respond effectively. Secure Central location branch. Assist personnel with overnight matters and work with alarm monitoring company. I've learned how to read various behaviors. I feel that management should consider the opinions of their subordinates a little more. Workplace is friendly most of the time. The hardest part of the job is keeping busy to stay awake. The benefit package and competitive pay is the best part of the job to me.
Pros
Benefit Packeges
Cons
N/a
Under paid and over worked.
SAN ANTONIIO (Current Employee) –  SAN ANTONIIOJuly 9, 2018
The City will over work you and under pay you. They do offer Comp-time but you will never have the ability use it. Most of the times management will most likely deny it. Also it dose not matter how hard you work,you will never have the opportunity for advancement. Unfortunately management does not care for their employees and you can get fired for any little reason.
Pros
I got to work downtown.
Cons
Everything.
Productive fun place to work and learn
LVN - Metro Health/WIC (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 5, 2018
A typical day at work would be to unlock the doors for business, hear children cry starting at 7:45am all the way to 7:45pm. Counsel parents or pregnant women on nutrition. I learned about team work. Management had to follow rules and regulations or the city would step in and get things in order. The city was not to friendly about culture unless it has to do with Fiesta. The hardest part of the job was to keep quiet about rude managers. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping individuals that wanted help.
Pros
Free lunch at meetings
Cons
only 1 supervisor was mean to her employees, although she would follow you and keep poking your shoulder, other supervisor
great place to work at, i recoomed people to apply there.
SURVEYOR (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 29, 2018
I love working for the city. The city offers great benefits. They more than match your 401 plan contributions, good medical insurance, and time off for personal or sick leave, also school reimbursement.

I enjoy the job I do. I get along with my co-workers. I am a surveyor and when we start a new job first we start finding property corners, than we mark our stations, usually every 50’. We set two points with GPS, with our two control points than we ca run an elevation loop, anchor the job. After all this we are ready to start the survey. In the City, we use the Topcon total station, Sokkia robotic, and GPS. We also use a tablet and a data collector. I had worked 6 years as a surveyor in Laredo, TX but I have learn a lot here in the city.

I enjoy the city and its friendly atmosphere. I recommend the city to anyone. It is a great place to work.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No overtime
It was worth it.
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Finance/SAPD HomicideJune 19, 2018
I enjoyed my time with COSA and recommend it to any and everyone. I Loved my positions with the City, it hard to get on with the City but you can always go through a temp agency to get hired.
Great Training Department
City Staff Trainer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 14, 2018
Overall I have no complaints about the city of San Antonio. Work/life balance is okay, pay could be better, but if you are looking to earn big bucks don't go into city government. Good retirement benefits. Health care costs are a little expensive
review
Budget & Research Intern (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 7, 2018
San Antonio is a premier city offering excellent work conditions and good benefits, although the pay is a little low unless you are the City Manager. Great opportunity to learn city operations.
Fun sec place t work once yu got in .
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 4, 2018
A real nice place to work but Compensation is limited so negotiate your highest salary from before day 1 for in all likelihood you'll stay at that level a very long time.
Working in fear due to bad management and supervision
Code Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 3, 2018
No room for opportunity unless somebody retires or leaves,

Cut throat environment. No help from peers. Sink or swim, Professional development is encourage but not practiced.
Pros
Na
Cons
Not a good place to work or to consider a career.
Fun place with out of touch Management
Recreation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 21, 2018
Great place to work. Management completely clueless. The pay is great and the benefits are great also. Just not happy with the direction the city has gone as far as the inner city youth goes.
Great place to work.
Department Accounting Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 14, 2018
Great place to work. I have learned a lot about the various aspects of Accounting. Including Payables, Receivables, Budgeting and Financial Reporting.
Work life balance
Senior Video Producer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 10, 2018
You should have a clean record before applying. Have a good driving record as well. Lots of Politics. Managers will not get work life balance, you will always put work before your family.
Pros
Non-managers will have a better experience but not better pay.
Cons
Dont work for people you dont trust
I love the work that I do
Debt Officer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 7, 2018
The work is awesome. I love it. I love working with the numbers and learning the in's and out's of the City Debt. Every time I get a challenge I love it because I am learning something new. I think the CFO is brilliant and trust his judgment 100%.
Pros
Love the rush I get when working with difficult numbers
Cons
No Team work
Fun workplace; relaxed
Admin Support (Current Employee) –  San AntonioApril 28, 2018
Love working here but its only a temporary position to last throughout summer. Enjoy the hours, the pay. Very relaxing atmosphere surrounded by children, teachers, a garden and office personnel who are very involved with the parents of the children attending here.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
fitting into work culture can be difficult. Make friends of co-workers.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 15, 2018
There are difficult people however, always doing one's best and getting away for lunch helps out. The growth potential is great to move around. The best part are active co-workers for lunch buddies to go out, walk or just hang with.
Overall pretty positive
Social Service Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 7, 2018
While working in the Health District there is always a challenge - public depends on your knowledge and skill. Must bring your A game everyday. However, the benefits of helping other is very beneficial.
Customer service was a positive enrollment with the airport
Aviation painter (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TX international airportApril 6, 2018
Teamwork was a factor in this job,.. insurance was a must for my family and I.. they offer higher education , and offer you an additional retirement with your plan
Pros
Good insurance
Cons
Offer paid vacation
Fantastic Place to Work!
Community Services Supervisor (TEMP) (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 3, 2018
I was contract Temp. I wish I could have been permanent and stayed until I retired. I LOVED every day of my work there. Management was awesome! I worked at the Huantes Community Learning Center.

I had freedom to improve the facility, daily operations systems and office culture and service delivery.
Pros
I felt trusted, valued and respected
Cons
temp job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of San Antonio. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight