City of San Jose Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Low Morale in Finance Dept
Accounting Technician (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 9, 2018
A typical day includes low morale, very little appreciation, and favoritism. I have noticed other departments have better working environments and would recommend all other departments over Finance.
Pros
Location, Building, Colleagues, Free Parking
Cons
Micromanaging, Lack of Appreciation
Enjoyable workplace
Acting Park Facility Supervisor, Family Camp (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 4, 2018
If working with the community is what you enjoy then you will be happy working for the City of San Jose. Fullfilling everyones needs were always my number 1 priority wether it was internal or external.
Family-like environment
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 29, 2018
Engaged with the community such as seniors, children and adults. You will learn about cultural differences and similarities. Management are supportive. Hardest part is balancing 1040 yearly hours. Most enjoyable is making a difference in the youth community.
Pros
Great facility and fun summer camps
Cons
no breaks or lunches, have to eat with the kids
fun place to work with a natural pool, and staff lounge
Facilities Maintenance 1 (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 29, 2018
Typical day was to wake up and take out the trashes of Family camp, than clean the bathrooms while the other group does tent list, resetting them and cleaning them up. Than wait till after lunch to repeat the process than clean bathrooms, and trash. And repeat at dinner.
Pros
free lunches and free housing
Cons
nothing
work as City of San Jose employee for 16 year
Youth Intervention Specialist Worker II (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 26, 2018
Work with the City of San Jose for 16 year, I enjoy work after high school, work my way to award the top honor award for the department, became supervisor at 23 year old.
Pros
great
Cons
great
Rewarding job with great people involve
Recreation Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Camden Communiy CenterMarch 12, 2018
I enjoy coming to work because the work I do has a direct impact on the students and community at large.

Co workers are invested and makes for a positive work culture.
Fun workplace
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 5, 2018
The environment is a very friendly and outgoing. All the employees enjoy their job. The customers have high satisfaction with their experiences at the community centers.
Pros
Meet a lot of cool people
Ok place to work
GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS ADMIN (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 13, 2018
it was ok. Not great, just ok. There weren't major problems but the office is not located anywhere near the management so that lends itself to having issues.
An Excellent Place to Work
Sr. Projects Manager (Former Employee) –  City of San Jose, CAJanuary 10, 2018
The City of San Jose is good environment to work, and is committed to serving it's citizens.

Permanent staff that stays on the job long enough is rewarded with both good benefits and a retirement package not seen in very often in the private sector
Pros
Good people
Cons
Temporary staffing
Worked with Children
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 5, 2018
They have a variety of things you can do with the city!
Plan and coordinate age-appropriate activities for elementary-aged children in Camp San Jose and ROCK After School programs, focusing on STEM, cooperative and collaborative play, promoting safety and inclusion for all participants.
Pros
everything
Cons
parttime
Local Community Interaction
Recreation Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 29, 2017
As a Recreation Specialist I serviced an entire community with programs and events throughout my specific community center. During the day services provided were designated for aging adults 65+ and in the afternoon an after school program for youth ranging from 6-17 years old. My specific responsibilities included allocating budgeted funds to cover expenses incurred throughout the year. I also was in charge of collecting and depositing revenue earned daily through point of sale transactions. Three other staff members were under my supervision and i also was in charge of delegating responsibilities two them and maintaining their monthly schedule. At the end of the month my job was to create a revenue report of all funds accumulated to send to our fiscal department.
Productive, energetic, enthusiastic, interesting.
Development Officer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 26, 2017
Always busy with various projects

Flex hours as needed

Learned how to initiate agreement related to various programs

Hardest part of the job was learning how my boss wanted things done as he was somewhat erratic and impatient. I adapted and we worked very well together.

Most enjoyable part of my job was learning new and different things.
Pros
Tax payer money is not used for"free anything."
Cons
Retirement benefits cut for all level 2 employees, of which was one.
Depends on your career
Acting Recreation Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 18, 2017
Depending on your career path, the City of San Jose is a good place to work. I've been with the City of San Jose part time for five years as a recreation leader and I believe this position has helped me gain transferable skills I will use in my future full time position I am currently looking for.
Great to start off career
Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 17, 2017
It's a great place to begin your career as it offers experience. It was fun working with the children and helped in developing certain traits, such as patience.
Productive and fund place to work
Community Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 17, 2017
You get to meet new people and work with people that are of the utmost professional. Working on programs and projects to benefit society as a whole was very rewarding. Not only do you work with amazing co-workers but depending on your job you get to work with great community members.
Pros
Working with great people.
Cons
Sometimes you need to work long days.
Interesting place to work
Recreation Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 15, 2017
It is a good place to work if your desire is to interact with different people every day. The culture can be fun at times, however, the compensation in comparison to the work that is expected is unreasonable.
Cons
Low wages, poor retirement plan
Technology Analyst
Contractor - AD Migration Process (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 4, 2017
Deployment of client/servers for entire staff for the City of San Jose.
Conversion of users and client servers to the current OS.

Management was great and allowed freedom of independence in the working environment.

The only difficult part is slow-pace environment which I am not accustom to.
Pros
Great atmosphere, positive.
Cons
Slow pace.
Great Place to work with Community
Teen Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 19, 2017
I enjoy working with the community and people. This job allowed me to work along side families , youth, senior citizens, and at community centers. I wasn't provided with enough work hours or wasn't provided the best resources to do my job.
Productive, creative, and fun
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 18, 2017
I gained knowledge working with children, develop and create awesome crafts and activities. Management gave the team more room to be creative and introduce new ideas. Workplace culture was very welcoming and had open lines of communication among everyone. The most rewarding part of the job was seeing the children grow and mature.
Productive and meaningful work
Senior Office Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 17, 2017
People who work for the City's Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Department generally believe in the value of services and programs that we provide to the community. There is a relaxed and friendly vibe among co-workers but very professional and courteous.