City of San Jose Employee Reviews

No challenge, advancements based on who you know.
Staff Specialist (Former Employee) –  San JoseAugust 26, 2018
Can't rec the city to anyone. Culture is very back-stabbing. People are nice enough to you, but talk about you in not nice ways behind your back. LOTS of gossip because people have too much time on their hands, there is horrible waste in every department. Advancements are NOT based on talent or skills, but whoever sticks around the longest and who you know. There are people working for the city who do literally nothing all day long, yet still get paid. Some departments help probbies (those on probation) to succeed, others do not care at all. There is a 90 percent turn over rate. Bad management in many departments, lots of staff give up trying, poor morale of any organization/company I've seen. Good if you just need a job, but I can't rec staying; pay and benefits are bad for anyone on the Tier 2 status.
Pros
If you just need a job..
Cons
Can't get let go once you pass probation.
City doesn't care for employee and worry all about budget.
Parking/Traffic Officer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 15, 2018
City had started multiple employees as part time with the transition into full time after probation. Instead, city would release the part time parking control officers based on "not passing background" after working for 6 months and hire new part timers. From my current knowledge, this has happened on 3 occasions to 3 officers on each occasion.
Productive, always busy and great group of coworkers
Staff Technician/Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  City of San JoserJuly 30, 2018
Always something to do.
Constant deadlines due to Board meetings, posting on website to meeting Brown Act requirements, etc.
Great group of coworkers who have become my friends outside of work, always supportive and reaching for the same goals.
Hardest part of job---leaving.
Most enjoyable - challenging myself and learning new programs and having to be creative in prioritizing workloads.
Pros
flexible hours, no weekends except for when there is a board retreat
Cons
skipping breaks due to some deadlines, but
Best Job for twenty something year olds
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 22, 2018
Working with kids. Helping with homework, getting them time to play and not having to work till noon. Perfect for college. The summer camps were the greatest. Fellow rec-leaders were some of the best people I have ever worked with. At the time it paid well.
Pros
Perfect for college.
Cons
Can last forever.
Great
Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 20, 2018
I was employed for a year with the Housing Department with the City of San Jose, during my tenure I was paid fairly and treated well.

I would recommend a job at the City to anybody.
good paying job with an ability to work in various roles.
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 16, 2018
worked with the public, mostly addressing city policies and regulations as they applied to parks division. capped at 1040 hours a year, 20 hours per week.
Pros
great pay
Cons
hard to advance
great work foundation
Parking & Traffic Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 11, 2018
Daily work briefing and also after shift meetings.
patrol route and enforce parking rules and regulations
interact with public and educate about street parking rules.
daily activity reports while communicating with San Jose police officers.
Pros
great benefits
Not Promising
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 11, 2018
Started off happy with my position and worked great for a college student. Enjoyed being around the youth daily, but with poor, unsupportive management the environment grew to be stressful and unwelcoming. Management lacked professionalism. Always had to work through our lunches and were never given breaks in between long shifts because there were not enough staff .There was limited room for growth and opportunities were only given to staff members who are favored by upper management.
Pros
Scheduling works for college students who need to work while attending school.
Cons
Poor management who did not support staff.
good place to work
HR Service Delivery/Strategic Analysis Prj Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 16, 2018
very friendly environment. employees are hard working and responsible. The process owner support during Hiring process improvement project was exceptional with prompt and timely support.
Flexible schedule and busy, but friendly coworkers
Student Intern (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 5, 2018
I am only part-time, so my review may not be typical. Flexible work schedule. Nice people. Most project budgets are tight. Break room where some employees eat for lunch--great way to meet different people.
Good Place to Work
Department of Transportation Intern (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 1, 2018
I really like working with the people in my office. I have a family outside my home here with the people I work with. I will definitely recommend working for this growing city.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
I am a Temp
Not fo those looking to be challenged
Event Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 30, 2018
The place works at a snails pace yet everyone is stressed out. People get promotions due to the fact they've stayed here for awhile not because they are the most qualified or deserve it.
easy to work kind of environment, plenty of time rest between long hour shift
Service Crew / Waiter (Former Employee) –  maharlika road san jose cityMay 5, 2018
it is a great company who take care of staff on shift, always update staff on important task need to dealt on daily basis. Always share profit if target is reach.
Pros
working environment
Cons
stability
Public Safety Dispatcher I (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 29, 2018
The individuals at City of San Jose are passionate about safety and security. These are highly dedicated individuals who take pride in what they do. The police officers and dispatchers are highly trained and professional individuals.
Pros
Pride
Cons
long hours, understaffed
Low Morale in Finance Dept
Accounting Technician (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 9, 2018
A typical day includes low morale, very little appreciation, and favoritism. I have noticed other departments have better working environments and would recommend all other departments over Finance.
Pros
Location, Building, Colleagues, Free Parking
Cons
Micromanaging, Lack of Appreciation
Enjoyable workplace
Acting Park Facility Supervisor, Family Camp (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 4, 2018
If working with the community is what you enjoy then you will be happy working for the City of San Jose. Fullfilling everyones needs were always my number 1 priority wether it was internal or external.
Family-like environment
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 29, 2018
Engaged with the community such as seniors, children and adults. You will learn about cultural differences and similarities. Management are supportive. Hardest part is balancing 1040 yearly hours. Most enjoyable is making a difference in the youth community.
Pros
Great facility and fun summer camps
Cons
no breaks or lunches, have to eat with the kids
fun place to work with a natural pool, and staff lounge
Facilities Maintenance 1 (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 29, 2018
Typical day was to wake up and take out the trashes of Family camp, than clean the bathrooms while the other group does tent list, resetting them and cleaning them up. Than wait till after lunch to repeat the process than clean bathrooms, and trash. And repeat at dinner.
Pros
free lunches and free housing
Cons
nothing
work as City of San Jose employee for 16 year
Youth Intervention Specialist Worker II (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 26, 2018
Work with the City of San Jose for 16 year, I enjoy work after high school, work my way to award the top honor award for the department, became supervisor at 23 year old.
Pros
great
Cons
great
Rewarding job with great people involve
Recreation Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Camden Communiy CenterMarch 12, 2018
I enjoy coming to work because the work I do has a direct impact on the students and community at large.

Co workers are invested and makes for a positive work culture.