City of San Jose

City of San Jose Employee Reviews

United States137 reviews
Fun to work with kids and coworkers.
Super fun job opportunity for younger workers! If you are a freshman/sophomore in high school looking to get some working experience, this is a good way to get started.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Short hours
Good
What does good mean to you?

If it means they take care of you but don't go out of the way to make you happy, this is the place.

If it means they take care of you but make you justify overtime pay, this is the place for you.
I am now retired so am answering for when I worked there
Wonderful place to work. Pay and benefits are beyond reproach. It is like a family and made friends for life. Work was fair and supervisors were wonderful.
Excellent Job and Opportunity
The City of San Jose was a great job as far as a professional career and balancing my family life. I felt I was growing professionally, while never neglecting my family,
IT Intern
just basic work tasks, nothing to learn as a computer student. workplace is very slow and managers are suck since they will not assign clear work for you.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Very productive Clean Energy Commission
I'm not working for City of San Jose, I am a Clean Energy Commissioner. We meet on a monthly basis and review City's plan and work with Council members.
Pros
Valuable Community impact.
Cons
No pay!
Very friendly work environment
The most enjoyable part of my job includes getting to work with both supervisors and technicials allowing you to get both engineering and technical experience.
fun and welcoming
I have been involved with the city of San Jose since I was 5 years old. I attended summer camps and after school programs provided by the city. I went from camper, to junior leader, to finally a leader at a summer camp. Everyone is very friendly and considerate.
I enjoyed working for the City of San Jose
I worked for the Career Center for the City of San Jose. I helped alot if people with barriers find employment. I also provided clients with up to date Resources for Referral! I loved my job with them. I especially loved helping people to become self sufficient and provide for their families.
Pros
Good pay, helping environment, room for advancement
Cons
Only a Contractual contract
Community Based on Location
There are opportunities to work with preschoolers, front desk, rentals, fitness, and with teens. Relaxed environment most of the time, pay really well if you want a part-time job while attending college.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at City of San Jose?
Great place to work.
I enjoyed the people I worked with. Great supervisors. Good place to work overall. If there was a down side it was the work pace. Overtime was mandatory. The building official was a good guy to work with, fair and had an open door policy.
Pros
Regimented
Cons
Too much overtime.
Taxi driver
<> Enjoyed and on the same time unsatisfied with income
<> Learned many thing from the costumers

<> I was trying to manage my time and income, but it was not easy.

<> Work Place was horrible at San Jose airport due to the smoke from the airplanes

<> No enough income per 8 hours work

<> Connection with different costumers
Great place to be employed!
I loved being a part of CSJ employees. The employer offered great benefit packages and I enjoyed the higher education to ensure the employees are up to date.
Pros
Great benefit packages
Cons
Too many meetings
Library Page
I love working at this library, its really big but it's joint with the SJSU library. More to choose from. when the patron's come we have to seperate them which is a con cause if they are a SJSU patron we can't really help them.
it was a police academy
It was difficult listening to your instructors and getting all the studying and preparations that had to be done for the next day. I improved in all the areas of the academy and always pushed to better myself.
Pros
the wage, disability insurance and care
Cons
they dropped me after failing to learn a driving technique
Challenging & Satisfying work
Serving the residents of the City of San Jose was challenging and rewarding. Each day was different from the previous. The workplace culture was phenomenal.
Great part time job for students
City of San Jose gives an employee the flexibility to work little hours for an employee that goes to school or is working another job. No work on all holidays.
No challenge, advancements based on who you know.
Can't rec the city to anyone. Culture is very back-stabbing. People are nice enough to you, but talk about you in not nice ways behind your back. LOTS of gossip because people have too much time on their hands, there is horrible waste in every department. Advancements are NOT based on talent or skills, but whoever sticks around the longest and who you know. There are people working for the city who do literally nothing all day long, yet still get paid. Some departments help probbies (those on probation) to succeed, others do not care at all. There is a 90 percent turn over rate. Bad management in many departments, lots of staff give up trying, poor morale of any organization/company I've seen. Good if you just need a job, but I can't rec staying; pay and benefits are bad for anyone on the Tier 2 status.
Pros
If you just need a job..
Cons
Can't get let go once you pass probation.
City doesn't care for employee and worry all about budget.
City had started multiple employees as part time with the transition into full time after probation. Instead, city would release the part time parking control officers based on "not passing background" after working for 6 months and hire new part timers. From my current knowledge, this has happened on 3 occasions to 3 officers on each occasion.
Best Job for twenty something year olds
Working with kids. Helping with homework, getting them time to play and not having to work till noon. Perfect for college. The summer camps were the greatest. Fellow rec-leaders were some of the best people I have ever worked with. At the time it paid well.
Pros
Perfect for college.
Cons
Can last forever.
Great
I was employed for a year with the Housing Department with the City of San Jose, during my tenure I was paid fairly and treated well.

I would recommend a job at the City to anybody.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of San Jose. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.1Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight