City of Sacramento Employee Reviews

Horrible parking enforcement supervisors
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 17, 2019
Nepotism Nepotism Nepotism this position is not considered a “starting point” or a “foot in the door”. PEO’s are not appreciated and looked down on. There are several cases in which family and close family friends are give priority for positions. You get a 0.50 raise every year on a 15 year max pay. The supervisors NEVER HAVE YOUR BACK. Instead, they leave you to hang dry when an upset citizen challenges a ticket. This position can be amazing if they remove her (supervisor) and place someone who is more aware how to build culture in a workplace. This position was the worst position, in a great entity. You must wear a uniform that does not take into account the 105 degree weather, or the 42 degree weather with rain. The equipment that is provided barely functions, and always has problems. If there are there are other positions I recommend applying for those.
Cons
Impossible to Advance, the good officers are neglected, the union keeps the lazy workers safe, supervisors are uneducated
We had fun but we made sure we did everything that was needed to be done
Youth Aide (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CADecember 10, 2018
Just do your job work hard and youll be done with the assignment much faster and dont slack and talk to friends because thats only going to set you back and slow you down
Pretty good place to start your job experience
IT Student Trainee (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 23, 2018
I did enjoy my career hear, but it's time to move on now that I graduated with a degree in Computer Science. I had a great trainer, and great sources available to learn from. A good place to start your job experience.
Pros
Flexible hours during school
Cons
Not much availability of growth
This office was unbelievable. Good work environment, happy employees.
Mayor/Council Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CA 95814November 14, 2018
Once I began this job as a Administrative Technician I realized this was the work environment I wanted.
Good management, friendly co-workers and constant interaction with the public, the Mayor and her staff.
My direct manager, the Mayor Council Operations Manager, was open to suggestions, taught me everything I would need if she were to leave.
Learned to use spreadsheets to a level I did not know about.
There were no hard parts to this job as it continued to be an enjoyable learning experience.
We prepared the Mayor
Pros
Outside of working as HR Consultant in NYC this was my best job
Cons
No cons for this job. Loved my job.
Was my first job and was a great way to enter the work force as a youth
Garbage Collector (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 13, 2018
This was my very first job. The job contained cleaning the city streets where the homeless hung out and the free ways where litter would gather. I very much liked working the summers with the city of Sacramento, because of the management and the opportunities that were giving out once the season was over.
Supported individuals who make the City function
Environmental Health and Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 5, 2018
Employees were generally hard working and genuinely wanted to do the right thing to support the community. Managers were very supportive of making work better and safety for the employees.
Pros
self directed work
Cons
pay increases did not match inflation
Great work environment. We work in city parks
Park Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 8, 2018
Excellent job with great benefits. I've learned more about plants and trees and I enjoy working outside. The benefits are great, but the work hours are limited to 24 hrs per week.
Pros
Working outside.
Cons
Only work 3 days per week
Fun Place to work at as a 16 year old, it felt good to make my own money
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 4, 2018
Relatively hot working environment since we were always outside, but overall it was a good first job i made about $2,300 in 2 and a half months. My co-workers were somewhat bothersome, but that did not matter as long as i got the job done and got paid.
Great for Experience, not for Advancement
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CA 95819September 19, 2018
City employees are amongst the most hardworking and passionate of those I have had the pleasure of working with throughout my lifetime. However, I would not recommend this as anyone more than a great start to something better-elsewhere. Room for advancement is unlikely, and we are often worked much farther out of class than should be permitted.
Pros
Great place to accrue gems for your resume
Cons
Little to no room for career advancement
Poor Management
Clerk (Former Employee) –  City hallAugust 15, 2018
Poor management, Parks & Rec. Good benefits are offer but it wasn't worth it after what you have to go thru Hardest part is the negative management always judging others in the open
Pros
Good benfits
Cons
Bad Managemnt
A good place for young new workers
Personnel Technician (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 1, 2018
This job is difficult because of the constant changing culture. Just when you think you have the ball rolling and everything is going well, another challenge is presented and things tend to go sideways. I have been working here for nearly 20 years and it is time for a change.
Good people to work with.
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 29, 2018
Great work environment, good people. Pay isn't great, although I'm only part time. Takes too long to advance, having a son, more pay would definitely be great.
Work-life balance
SENIOR ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 15, 2018
Daily work is routine. Monthly and year end is tedious and long hours.
Management is supportive.
Challenging and competitive workplace.
Coworkers are friendly and helpful.
Pros
fringe benefits
Cons
long hours during year end
Summer Food Program/Sacramento START
SITE DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 21, 2018
The City of Sacramento provided me with my first career-oriented employment. I was placed in a management type role which allowed me to increase my knowledge of basic computer programs along with how to manage employees. I matured tremendously during my tenure and it was unfortunate when my sites were closed due to a lack of budget. Provided everything you would look for in a promising career
typical day
Residential Combination Building Inspector (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CA 95814May 8, 2018
typical work day involved scheduling your rout for jobs assign to you for that day. communicating with other inspector and supervisors, and in house training. dealing with contractor and general public enforcing construction standard
I love doing this job as professional and enjoyed it.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 24, 2018
We work as professional because that's very important in security to
protect clients property and make every employees job easy.
We respect everybody what ever their culture was and the work place culture was very relaxed and we love to work their. Some time
we got some angered vendors but we make them feel comfortable
with our good customer service. that's very important that we always
listen to their problems and help them.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Okay
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 10, 2018
Laid-back job culture
High cost of health care coverage; limited choices of health care providers
Mayor and City Manager are very good leaders
Promotes work life balance
Relaxed and friendly workplace
Recreation Aide (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 2, 2018
I like working for the City of Sacramento. There are a lot of different routes for growth and a lot of things to soak in about this great city. The only part I don’t agree with is the rotation of employees into certain departments where their title may fit the position but their qualities, work ethic, and skills don’t fit the job itself.
Pros
Laid back schedule
Cons
Rotation of supervisors
Fun to work at
SEASONAL PARKS MAINTENANCE (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 9, 2018
Enjoyed working there very much. Co worker were fun to work with and very professional.Cleaned restrooms and picked up park litter. I just wished there was more hours.
Pros
Outdoors
Cons
Not enough hours
good job experience
Youth Recreation Aide (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 22, 2018
city hall was one of my very first jobs not it showed me a lot of customer service because I had to come encounter with a lot of kids and parents on a day to day basis

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Sacramento. Our community is ready to answer.