CITY OF SANTA BARBARA Employee Reviews

A great short-term job
lot operator III (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAAugust 3, 2018
You learn to deal with many different people. A day can fly by or feel very slow depending on how busy the lot is. It can be hard if you're the type to take things personally, since many people who park are inconsiderate and rude. But again, a good learning experience!
no review
Housing Programs Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CA 93102July 28, 2018
While I would like to say more there real is not much to say about this job experience as I was there for less than six months and was not there long enough to give a proper review.
Great job, Learned much from it
Lot Operator (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJuly 25, 2018
It was a fantastic opportunity and I learned how to manage municipal property and deal with customers, especially large amounts of customers every day.
very professional work place
Santa Barbara (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAMay 29, 2018
no parties or incentives because its a government employer so everything had to be professional as well as a set hourly pay.did what was required and dealt with the public frequently so must be presentable and professional at all times because there was always someone watching.
Pros
good pay benefits
Cons
position was temporary
City of SB
Recreation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAApril 24, 2018
Its a good place to work and the benefits are OK but it can be difficult to maintain a healthy work life balance if you are in a position where you are responsible for employees (particularly hourly employees).
Pros
Flexible work week
Cons
not an innovative place to work
City government job offering an essential public service
Administrative Specialist, Building Department (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CANovember 8, 2017
A typical day at work was split between the building plan archive and the front counter. I learned how to effectively deal with the public, a sometimes very demanding public. Management was supportive and a reliable source of direction. The workplace culture was not the greatest. It seemed the city would hire just about anybody, as very few of the employees were college graduates. The hardest part of the job was dealing with a member of the public that believed they were owed something for nothing. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help people rebuild their homes after devastating wildfires destroyed several hundred of them over the course of three years.
good place to work
PC/Network Technician I (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CASeptember 19, 2017
The City of Santa Barbara is a wonderful organization to work for. They hire well and the employees care about what they do and work very hard. Management treat the employees very well. The employees work together as a team and everyone gets along well. Recurring training is provided to ensure that you are at the top of your game, and they also provide educational reimbursement. The benefits are top-notch. I loved every aspect of my job, except my long commute, which is the only reason I left. The extra two-hours + per day just got to be too much.
Pros
fgaasg
Cons
adfgafdhda
Productive, invariably unique and relaxed workplace
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAApril 21, 2017
Working here was fantastic, to say the least. Incredible people in a relaxed environment; communication at the forefront of their abilities.

The ability to openly apply yourself in a non-linear manner meant exponential flexibility when it came to choosing how to get the job done.

The people in my department were not only friendly and professional, but genuine in every possible way: sincere, candid, honest, and understanding.

The job itself was a breeze. Albeit it pertained to a plethora of many different individual tasks, there was never lack of insight. Questions and various inquiries were always welcomed attentiveness and compassion.

The synergy among my department meant, in spite of heavy work days, everything tended to be completed on time and in a (mostly) orderly fashion. The open-ended nature of the position meant that any discrepancies could easily, and readily be completed the next business day without any asinine, arbitrary consequences.
Pros
Great people; great environment
Cons
Limited room for promotion
Very productive job with promotion opportunities
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAApril 8, 2017
I believe this job is to be appreciated.A custodian position is just as important and essential to complete a whole achievement in a place and its goals. I believe I was gifted with a Positive attitude that motivates other team members and creates better performance. The environment provides me a constant and real access to people to interact with so in every day I am motivated to do my best in any situation.
Pros
Very independent job with social interaction.
Cons
not too many opportunities to advancement
Great place to work.
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CADecember 15, 2016
City of Santa Barbara provides a clear path to success. Depending on what position you are in there are opportunities for advancement. Management is easily accessible and friendly.
Amazing organization.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJuly 10, 2016
Pros
Flex schedule.
Cons
Long commute.
Great place to work!
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAAugust 11, 2015
Dispatched internal and external tradesmen to see to the repair and maintenance of city buildings. Data input, invoice processing, inbound phone and foot traffic. The facilities management is great and really care about the city.
Pros
the city culture
Cons
Great location, great management, fun perks
Administrative Assistant/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJuly 27, 2015
This office is one of the most interesting in Santa Barbara, with arguably the nicest view. It's located right on the beach and is the headquarters for the Santa Barbara City Lifeguards as well as the Parks and Recreation Department for the City of Santa Barbara. The work can be tedious and repetitive at times which was my chief complaint; though nice co-workers, a stellar boss, and competitive compensation and benefits more than made up for the mundane aspect of the job itself. There was opportunity for advancement, should one decide that was a suitable career path for oneself; though typical government bureaucracy might have made it difficult for certain people to get ahead.
Pros
Nice location, great management, competitive wages
Great city and great people.
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CANovember 9, 2014
Most of my day is spent answering phones, while supporting multiple divisions of Public Works. The workload ebbs and flows from day to day.
Future employee beware
Utility Billing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  City of Santa BarbaraMay 26, 2013
The City of Santa Barbara is a very disorganized place filled with incompetant management. They will lie to employees to get what they want. They break laws. They will fire you for no reason at anytime before the one year 'probation period' is up and not even give you severence. Pass on this employer. They don't value loyalty and they don't care about the employees.
Pros
good benefits--nice retirement package if you can last that long
Cons
poor training, short staffed, disorganized, can't trust management
Beautiful on beach, nice people, heavy lifting
Maintenance Worker II (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CADecember 10, 2012
Responsible for facilities of marina boat slips and wharf. Given assignments in the morning and throughout the day, everything from phone and data line repair to pile driving and heavy construction. I was able to work with master tradesman and learned many skills-too much to list. Many members on the crew were injured from heavy lifting in the past. Often I was the only healthy back on the crew and felt I needed to try to change procedure. This failed, eventually I left before becoming injured myself.
Pros
pay, benefits, working on the beach, nice people
Cons
heavy lifting, injured co-workers
learning curve of management
Santa Barbara Central Library (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJuly 6, 2012
Some of the mangement needed to be educated that all peoples should be treated fairly and without prejudice. When the learning curve of their employees has become amazing, meaning when a person with Autism has learned much, indeed more then their peers and more then their management. I believe it would behoove the city to make certain their management keeps up, instead of letting the employee go. How prejudice and narrow-minded of them. They should have stood up (supported)with their employee. Very narrow-minded.
Pros
some of the benefits were good.
Cons
learning curve for most of the management is extremely low and short-sighted.
Great to work with kids, great co-workers
After-school Instructor (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJuly 6, 2012
Typical day would be watching the kids, interacting with them, helping them with homework, and leading games and activities until 5 PM when the parents would pick them up. The kids were fun, the parents were grateful, worked with a great staff, and the pay was good. It was exactly the part-time I had in mind.