CITY OF SANTA MONICA Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Good work environment
Network Engineer/Consultant (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMay 30, 2018
Very good place to work. Management is more than reasonable with assignment. Environment is conducive to productivity. Deadlines are also very atainable.
Pros
Environment
Cons
Accountability of individual
Productive and fun work environment
Data Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMay 24, 2018
The staff is really supportive and very jovial. They made me feel so at home from the very first day I started work. It was all fun and productivity..
Relaxed and fun place to work
GIS Intern (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 2, 2018
Great company culture, fun place to work. Great location, adjacent to the beach and downtown Santa Monica, relaxed office culture, woth good benefits
Pros
Pay
great place
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 2, 2018
great place to work. i really love coming to work every day. pay is great the beach is beautiful. I mean what more can you ask for. i would recommend employment here
Productive work
Motor Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CADecember 17, 2017
Customer Service, assist with customers questions to time, destination and time of arrival. Drive safely according to street laws.
Hardest part of job was dealing with congestion traffic delays.
Benefits
Cons
pay for what's require of you to endure daily
Great benifits, good pay
Pier Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CANovember 9, 2017
Beautiful city to work in
Good pay
raises
incetives
productive
Street Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAOctober 9, 2017
great Job! great benefits, great learning program and room to grow within the company. very understanding in developing employees. supervisors and crew leaders are very knowledgeable and caring.
Pros
great co workers.
Cons
job was only 2 years.
Decent On-Call Work
Staff Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CASeptember 29, 2017
At the time, the hourly rates were competitive compared to working for an franchise placement service. Networking is the key to success, as it can be easy to move around various departments.
Pros
Nice location
Cons
After assignment ends, there is no guarantee of a callback
City of Santa Monica
Building & Safety Supervisor/ Permit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJune 23, 2017
I worked there 10 years... and loved every minute of it. It is an amazing place to work. The people, customers and fellow employees were all helpful.
Pros
People and location
Cons
the commute
Excellent place to work.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 18, 2017
During my twenty years working for the Santa Monica Police Department I have been a patrol officer, field training officer, bicycle patrol and custody. Everyday was always a different experience. The hardest part of my job was notify family members of a death in the family.The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help people and work with a great group of people.
Work Day
Records Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAOctober 7, 2016
The work environment was not friendly. There are no typical days in the public sector of employment. The hardest and most enjoyable part of the job is not being able to or being able to fulfill a citizen request.
One of the best cities to work for.
Code Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 18, 2016
The City of Santa Monica truly believes in the advancement of their employees. I have taken advantage of the tuition reimbursement program and multiple training opportunities they provide. The work is challenging, rewarding and trying; all in 60 seconds. If you like a fast paced environment this is the place to be.
Pros
The citizens are very knowlegable and fully engage their government.
Cons
Fast paced enviroment with no brakes.
Great company with lots of growth opportunity
Staff Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAFebruary 22, 2016
City of Santa Monica is great company to work for. They have plenty of opportunies for growth and offer lots training. I presently work through Top Tempo Future Personnel. It has been very rewarding and I am happy to work for this company.
Pros
Great culture
Great city
Library Assistant ll (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 19, 2016
Great environment. Coworkers and management are easy to work with and very friendly. The location would be the most enjoyable part of the job.
Hard work.
Laborer Trainee (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CADecember 29, 2015
A typical day is very fast pace hard work you really have to pay attention to what you are doing. But the fun part was working with a great team of people. The hardest part of the job was leaving it.
Pros
A very good place to work.
Cons
The only problem was the distance I had to travel.
Great Employer
Administrative Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 6, 2015
This is a great city to work for. The employees are very nice, professional, and hard working. I unfortunately had a temporary summer position; I would love to still work there if an opportunity came up.
Great Job minus the management
Motor Coach Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica CaJuly 10, 2015
I had a wonderful 7 years working for this employer great benefits and the pay was awesome when management changed in my department that's when things started going downhill with promises not being kept, and employees being lied to. Let go while off injured because my license had gotten suspended while I was off on a injury and when I finalliy fixed the issue with my license I had meeting with management and he looked me in and my union Rep in the eyes and told us both he would bring me back if I produced a H-6 printout I gave him one in less than 24 hours and he waited over six weeks to give me answer saying he couldn't bring me back for whole another reason that the job was responsible for.
Very fast pace. but enjoyable.
Laborer Trainee (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CaJune 10, 2015
Morning meetings and excersise. my co-workers were an nice bunch of men and women. management helpful and informed. The most enjoyable part of the job was how all the employees got along. There was no hard part of the job. I received my forklift certificate and how to assemble trash receptacles and bins.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
When they cut overtime.
Fun place to work in with the community
Communnity program leader (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 26, 2015
At the City of Santa Monica its a great place to work with all types of people. This job is fast pace, you have different responsibilities and you have to be flexible. You also have to work with different types of personalities and with different agencies. You also need strong communication skills.
If you want advancement this is not where you would like to work.
Motor Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  MOJanuary 7, 2015
Depends on who you know and where it is you want to go within the company. Overall if you keep to yourself and make the job just a job you will be o.k.!