City of Seattle Employee Reviews

Only good thing was the PAY
Cashier/Account Tech II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 26, 2019
I worked here for many years and never advanced because I refused to kiss the butts of my managers (saying this lightly). After three years, I applied for a promotion - And they gave it to a temp that they just hired two months prior! Why?? Was she better qualified? Nope! 'Cause she kissed the butt of the immediate supervisor and treated him to lunch everyday. Or maybe (not being racist here) because she was Asian and all the managers at the time were Asian??

I was working the front counter doing the job of five people. I asked for assistance and never got it - until this temp showed up. I knew I would never get anywhere so I quit.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Managers who don't stand by your side and backstabbing coworkers
Good environment; great pay and benefits; clunky bureaucracy
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  SeattleJanuary 25, 2019
Lots of smart, kind people work at the City. The pay and benefits are amazing. The bureaucracy is hard to navigate. The departments are very siloed and don't work well with one another. Getting a job there is difficult in some cases and HR is hard to work with.
job chnages with the mayor
Graphic Arts Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 8, 2019
Each department will change with a new mayor, with their demands, etc. my department changed a lot to adapt to the ever changing needs of the mayors office, then unfortunately, he closed my department for budget cuts
City of Seattle
Seattle (Former Employee) –  SeattleJanuary 3, 2019
Working here I learned a lot of things. time management, how to deploy and fix PC's. they wher nice and welcoming as well. Everyone is helpful and pleasant to work with.
Ok place to work
Administrator Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 28, 2018
Work with 15 Contract Specialists to provide consistency. Import Excel calculations into contracts to appropriately allocate budget amounts. Completed approximately 150 contracts per year.
 Develop reports and maintain management statistics on work performance against performance metrics with our Data Warehouse system.
Pros
Great group of people
Cons
No Management opportunities
Fun, fast paced job with lots of patron interaction.
Lifeguard and Swim instructor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 4, 2018
As a lifeguard you are required to teach lots of swim lessons with kids and adults. The programs change throughout the day so there is a lot of moving around. This job requires you to be on your toes a lot of the time but you get a sufficient amount of down time. Being a lifeguard is great!
Pros
Free access to most pools in the city of Seattle!
Tough Hours but have enjoyed my time.
Probation Counselor Assigned to PR (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 4, 2018
The hours and days can be tough. I'm just ready for something new and working closely with people and building relationships which the current position doesn't offer.
Dshs
Social Service Aide, Aging and Disability Services (Former Employee) –  Renton, WANovember 12, 2018
At that time I was a student of Ophthalmology Assistant program and I couldn't keep job and school together. That's why I decided to finish school and leave the job.
Golden Handcuffs
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 3, 2018
Just putting in my time until retirement. City clearly has lost its way. Spends far too much on consultants. Outside vendors seem to be chosen based on "backdoor deals" rather than vendor credibility and reliability.
Pros
a great place to do a career anonymously
Cons
a great place to do a career anonymously
Union Job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 13, 2018
Belonged to local 17 as a city employee. Contract is structured with the union so pay increases is based on the hours worked. My work week is usually 4 days and the average is 21 hours a week. Being part time I can be called to work at one of 6 locations and work schedule can change daily,
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Cost of living in Seattle
Complicated work inviorment
Audio/Video Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 4, 2018
Before the last 6 months I would have taken this questionnaire an been a little more positive. Since being moved to work in a consolidated group I have found that everything has gone down hill. The problem that I see is there is fear and no sense of direction from leadership.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Lack in direction from managment
My job at the city of seattle was so great i learned so much
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 31, 2018
Loved working for the Seattle parks and recreation was a great experience I learned so much and was able to accomplish many goals it was a training program that I was able to obtain things like my flagging certificate along with my CPR certificate overall it was a great experience
was able to do job at own pace
Parking Meter Collector (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 31, 2018
was able to get up in the morning and walk areas in different neighborhoods and collect coins from parking meters and have no one breathing down my neck
Pros
fresh air company vehicle
Cons
rainy blustery days
fails to acknowledge employees' worth and encourage advancement
Utility Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 29, 2018
A typical day at work would involve micromanagement of employees whose work time is scrutinized over phrases said or not said to the customer without regard to the needs of the customers and the thoroughness of the problem/concern with regard to the phone call. Employees ratings are based on timeliness and key words/phrases/credentials graded during the course of the call. Long waits and poor knowledge base from employees cause customers to call back multiple times, sometimes 5 or more to take care of the same problem. Customers who don't understand the process are seen as troublemakers and often hung up on are not properly helped.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
micromanagement, career growth
Mixed Feelings
Account Tech II/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 21, 2018
I gave everything to my job and got nothing in return. My time there was very stressful, and as long as you bent over backwards and did EVERYTHING your boss told you too, you were secure. The people I worked with were FAKE! Saying they had my back in times of trouble, and then when trouble came up - They ran. Threw me under the bus after all I have done - I cannot say this for everyone though. There are a handful of coworkers who were sincere - These are the people I still contact with today and are actually happy to provide reference for me and all the hard work I have done (without complaint I might add).
Pros
Steady paycheck with awesome benefits
Cons
Backstabbing coworkers who only look out for their best interest
A focused work environment with understood outcomes
Nightlife Premises Coordinator (Former Employee) –  City of Seattle, WAMay 17, 2018
My work at the City of Seattle was almost unique in that I managed both the nightlife industry in Seattle while also managing 13 staff whose role was to return to the City unpaid gross receipts taxes and other duties.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
No set hours of work in my instance
Review
Master Calendar Coordinator/Court Clerk Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 14, 2018
Overall environment is good. Management and communication can improve and more opportunities for advancement. Well diverse area, good medical benefits.
Traditional government environment
Senior Finance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 1, 2018
This public sector job was what I was expecting. The management lacked employee support skills. The work matched the job description. What I loved most was the team I worked with. A good crew of people with an excellent work ethic.
Great place to work!
Water Technician (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 30, 2018
Great benefits, competitive pay and opportunity for advancement. Team environment and plenty of training opportunities for those who are willing to work and learn to advance to the next levels of their careers.
Entry Level
Court Clerk Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 29, 2018
Entry level is a good start working at Seattle Municipal Court. However, if you want to grow professionally into management, seek employment with another courthouse.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No internal professional growth opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Seattle. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight