City of St. Petersburg

City of St. Petersburg Employee Reviews

United States45 reviews
I would have stayed working for the city of St. Pete, but it was a long commute home.
I was a happy person working in Mangrove Bay, unfortunately I live too far away from the location. There are great benefits and the work environment was excellent. Easy and fun job working in the concession snack bar.
Misery going there
12 Years to get a decent paycheck.
City handbook is filled with nothing but ways to get you fired

If your not kissing the boss’s but you won’t be happy there.

The good ole-boy system is alive and well
Great team atmosphere.
I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my time working As an Employee of the city of St.Petersburg. The work load has never been to strenuous, at great atmosphere amongst my coworkers and immediate supervisor. Would recommend for those coming out of college looking for immediate work.
Access to the office and security system
I processed water payments received by mail by entering the amounts received with the clients account numbers. I balanced the funds received at the end of each day once all payments were processed via the computer program. Success is achievable with proper training and staff who are willing to make sure you get the best possible training.
Position is relaxed most of the time but can get stressful. You must be a quick learner and able to work on your own.
Time management is a must. Salary is competitive with other municipalities.

Overall you must be a self starter.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Watch your back INSIDE as well as outside of the Department
Fellow officers will gossip, lie and turn other officers against you, if you are not in certain "cliques." The time of camaraderie no longer exists. Today's officers, try to get away with doing as little as possible, unless they can "get an arrest" out of it. If you are an officer that genuinely wants to HELP people and make a difference, you are ostracized because it makes them look bad, and you become the target for the gossip and spreading of lies. Watch your back from fellow officers as much as you watch your back on the street.

The pros to working for this department are there are lots of opportunity for training and schools as well as picking up some off-duty jobs.
For aquatics especially, there is no room for advancement whatsoever, always picking favorites, does listen to anything you have to say as far as your personal needs, the people there are always hard to work with and the higher-ups don’t listen to a word you have to say.
Pros
Cons
Too much work for the pay
Challenging, never the same day twice
If you're not afraid to work and have a decent skillet this is a great opportunity. Work/life balance is perfect. Starts with 3 weeks vacation which accrues from day one, good benefits and paid sick time.
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
Lots of overtime
Run by inexperienced kids
I worked part time as a cashier 3 years for the city. They employ young kids that are rude , inexperienced and form groups or clicks. Lots of laziness poor management and the rec centers are embrassing. Staff members and supervisors cant articulate information . Some are completely inappropriate and are clearly drug users
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
The quality of people
Its Its not what u think put that way
Managers and supervisors are terrible. If u entry level pay then this job is for u. Theirs no room for growth unless u know someone in the company. The benefits are great though
I loved this job.
This was the best job I ever had, everyone i worked with was great. The work atmosphere was always good. My supervisors were the best. I loved this place and everyone there. I was sad to go, and they were as well.
Cons
Stay away from Billing and Collections Dept.
Typical day answering calls, emailing, payments, busy work. Can get real busy at times. Management & Supevisors sucks all the way around. They will set you up for failure if they don't like you or feel threaten(job wise) by you. Oh and don't give no suggestions on improvement helpeven if asked cause they'll just say it's a great ideal and then shut it down and months later use it as their own.Hardest part of the job was dealing w/management and fellow employees that is ok with where they are but don't want others to move forward. And no real assistance from HR because the director of the department has someone there that she rubs shoulders with. Enjoyable part of they job.........well when 5pm hit.....leaving. This place is drama impacted since the day I started and I was there over 10 years and it just got worse. The department is the joke and the talk of the other city departments. Avoid at all costs.
Pros
Benefits, medical dental etc.
Cons
Management sucks, Drama Drama
city of st petersburg is a good place to work in certain departments
It is a fast paced work environment that challenge your mind to solve problems. It is a place that can help you muti taks and achieve your goals. It is a great place to work.
Good opportunities
Put your heart into it. Lots of options. The job is what you make of it, which is normal. You have to be able to deal with the stress both on the street and within the department.
Pros
Benefits and plenty of time off
Cons
None to take note of. Every place has negatives. None here that stand out.
Very professional work environment
I am working for the city of St. Petersburg parks and rec’s I learned a lot of different skills learned to solve problems and have better decision making I would advise anyone to try a career with the city of St. Petersburg parks and rec’s
Laid back job
Laid back position with no benefits and few opportunities for advancement. The managers are fine but the experience is different depending on your location. No paid sick days or vacation time for part-time positions which makes it difficult to take care of my household.
Nothing at this Time
You have to take a test to get the Interview. Met a lot of nice people. City Jobs are literally Politics. Management are allowed to behave unethically.
Pros
CoWorkers
From teen to Employee
You can start off as a youth attending the Camp. an upgrade to an employee. It is a great interactive environment. and the staff is amazing. there is so much growth in this company.
Pros
almost everything
Cons
the turn around rate for employees
Review of the City of St Pete Mangrove Bay Golf Course
Excellent work life balance. Management and staff are excellent and positive.

Really enjoyed working there and only left because it was a pre career job.
Tons of opportunities, just need ability to work different hours
There are so many departments within the City to work for - from recreation to parking enforcement, city hall, maintenance, police, and more. Pay is fair and benefits are better than you will find anywhere else. Can be tough to find a schedule that fits your needs, though.
Pros
Health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance
Cons
Hard to find a schedule that works around individual needs
Relaxed and stress free
I am able to keep up with my field and encouraged to attend and present at professional development events and conferences. "I love that I get to work with other students and be helpful
Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of St. Petersburg. Our community is ready to answer.
City of St. Petersburg Reviews by Location