City of St. Petersburg Employee Reviews

Review of the City of St Pete Mangrove Bay Golf Course
Lead Proshop Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint PetersburgOctober 29, 2018
Excellent work life balance. Management and staff are excellent and positive.

Really enjoyed working there and only left because it was a pre career job.
Nothing at this Time
Saint Petersburg (Former Employee) –  Saint PetersburgJanuary 21, 2019
You have to take a test to get the Interview. Met a lot of nice people. City Jobs are literally Politics. Management are allowed to behave unethically.
Pros
CoWorkers
Cons
Tons of opportunities, just need ability to work different hours
Public Safety Telecommunicator (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLOctober 29, 2018
There are so many departments within the City to work for - from recreation to parking enforcement, city hall, maintenance, police, and more. Pay is fair and benefits are better than you will find anywhere else. Can be tough to find a schedule that fits your needs, though.
Pros
Health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance
Cons
Hard to find a schedule that works around individual needs
Awfully mismanaged and understaffed
Call taker (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg Police DepartmentMarch 26, 2018
Don’t even bother applying to work in the communications center at SPPD. They’re BLEEDING staff, both old and new hires, at an alarming rate. The training program is sloppy and inconsistent, trainers are (often) petty and under qualified themselves. Because of changes being pushed by the current division manager, there is little to no chance of becoming fully trained before being fired for any stupid little disagreement with your trainer. The union had been battling her for years on behalf of the few remaining senior call takers that didn’t jump ship when she first tried to force them to dispatch and the new hires are not nearly experienced enough to replace all of the workers lost. Freshly solo employees are working upwards of 60-70 hours a week trying to help cover overtime and the supervisors can’t even deter them from it anymore because they’re so desperate to have someone to answer the phones. There are some great people there but even more there’s just a lot of backstabbing, small-minded people that clawed their way to power and are using it to manipulate the system. The police department is close to collapsing under the strain of having too few hardworking, genuine employees and it’s solely on the shoulders of the people being imposed on.
Cons
Stress, politics, sneaky management, hypocrisy, no protection for any new people
Tough job worth the effort if you can handle the stress.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLAugust 16, 2018
The job is very tough first of all. That being said, you would be hard pressed to find a more supportive group of people to work the street with. Work/life balance is not great but that's most police work.
Politics and racial discrimination
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJanuary 27, 2018
The agency has had a long history of not being able to get from behind the dark cloud of politics and racial discrimination. There are many promotions that are not based on experience and there has been proven issues with the agency.
Relaxed and stress free
Library Aide (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLOctober 6, 2018
I am able to keep up with my field and encouraged to attend and present at professional development events and conferences. "I love that I get to work with other students and be helpful
Productive workplace
Youth Development Worker (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJuly 11, 2018
Interacting with my children every day. Making sure they are accountable for but the hardest part of the job is dealing with attitude daily. My boss is great and helps out with anything she can.
It's a government job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLApril 2, 2018
It's a municipal government position - stereotypes about government workers exist for a reason and this place is no exception. There are some outstanding people, some not so much.
Pros
Hard to get fired
Cons
Hard to get fired
Awesome career at my present position...
Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Senior centerNovember 4, 2017
I have thoroughly enjoyed working closely with the seniors of St. Petersburg. The benefits are outstanding. We are not thought of though when it comes to pay increases, no appreciation for our hard work. I haven't received an increase for the last 10 years. Only cost of living increases which surmount to maybe a quarter a hour. My experience has been wonderful, just can't afford to keep working with them..
Pros
People, benefits
Cons
Salary
My Older Kids
Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLMarch 14, 2017
You can say, :if it wasn't for the people my job here wouldn't be as wonderful to come to each day. They are the one reason my position is the envy of my friends. They make my world a better place, which in turn balances out. I am a better employee because of their presence. I love my job!!!!
Pros
Benefits are the best
Cons
"It's who you know" is a true statement as far as advancement goes.
Great experience
Store Keeper 1 (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 22, 2018
Learned a lot form being a Store keeper there. This is a job that one needs to be focuses and great attention to detail. Demanding but very rewarding job.
Pros
Your helping and learning alot and it's rewarding
Cons
The job was part time
Rewarding and usually entertainign place of business.
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLAugust 15, 2016
A typical work day consists of answering questions that the general public has whether by phone, e-mail, or in person. Registering new clients for our programs keeps us busy as well. Also perform daily deposits at the close of shifts. Over the course of my tenure with the City of St. Petersburg, I've learned the do's and don'ts of customer service. Had to learn a lot of patience over the years with disgruntled customers and even some co-workers at times. But working with the public is also very satisfying at times when you truly realize that you've been a great help to them. The management is very understanding and considerate when personal issues come up. My co-workers and I are able to have a lot of fun, while staying on task of course, on a daily basis. I've been able to form a personal bond with each and every one I work with. I'd say the hardest part of my job right now is working the late hours and the weekends. I don't get home before 7pm too many nights out of the week. Also, working on the Saturday or Sunday just doesn't give me a full weekend to myself to recharge for the coming week. I'm looking for a better quality of life now and want a career that can provide that. But I do like my job and will continue to work there until something comes up that I know I will enjoy as a career and eventually retire in. My co-workers and I try to have a very positive working environment and that helps out tremendously.
Pros
management is helpful as they can be, co-workers are great people
Cons
Part-Time, short breaks, no benefits, no overtime, work late, work weekends
Productive, stable place to work with break room.
Clerk Typist/Codes Investigator (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJune 9, 2015
Stable place to work. My co-workers were very helpful, understanding and ready to assist with anything that was required to meet deadlines. The hardest part of my job was to send violation/citation notices to the elderly and people that didn't have the resources to take care of code violations that they were cited for. The most enjoyable part was that I worked outside and at my own pace.
Pros
Were provided uniforms and a city vehicle to drive to do my job.
Cons
Good benefits, vacation and sick time and a pension plan.
Average government agency job
Procurement Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLJune 11, 2017
Pay is more competitive than other government jobs. Good place to work if you like structure. Little room for creativity. Limited flexibility with work hours.
Good place to work and learn.
Plant Maintenance Mechanic Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLSeptember 15, 2015
One of the few organizations still offering apprenticeship programs that will actually lead to greater opportunities within or outside of the city. Steady work and pay with generous sick and vacation pay. Job security is great, show up and do your job while keeping your nose clean and you shouldn't have an issue. Learn to work with a variety of attitudes and you're golden.
Pros
Job security, laid back, job and learning opportunities.
Cons
Getting your foot in the door
The economy
Employee (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJanuary 4, 2013
The ecomony is hitting everyone and Government is really no different. The media makes employees out to be lazy, while departments are being asked to do more and more with less and less. Vision is lacking, and every year no one really knows if they will have a job. The motto work hard and it will pay off no longer applies. It's sad!
Pros
ability to help people still exists
Cons
the people you are helping feel you are overpaid (not totally true) and resent you.
Productive and fun place to work at.
Youth Development Worker (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMarch 18, 2015
I like the flexibility of daily work and every staff i work with. the management is very good and courteous. Everyday of work you are talking to parents and giving them their child's day and experience. this is very encouraging and fulfilling that one is able to be a positive example to the youths in the community.
Very god place to work
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FL 33731September 29, 2017
The Business Center was an excellent place to work. The ability to assist the small business community provided a tremendous amount of personal satisfaction.
Extremely Enjoyable
Youth Development Worker (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJuly 24, 2017
I love my job, I enjoy all the teens as well. My Teen Supervisor is extremely fair and I love that the city has a open door policy. No employee has to feel intimidated going to talk to any higher supervisor and everyone looks out for each other.
Cons
no full time YDW positions, no healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of St. Petersburg. Our community is ready to answer.

City of St. Petersburg Reviews by Location