City of Tacoma Employee Reviews

Not what it used to be
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 10, 2018
Double standards, management promotes a hostile work environment, major harassment issues, management does not care about their employees, nor does the city council.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Great money, high school culture
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 5, 2018
Working with human resources I witnessed a culture that resembled very closely to a high school cafeteria. Certain people were only friendly with others and there was a high feeling of competitiveness to prove you are better than others. The pay and benefits are phenomenal but it was very mentally draining being there.
Highly Dependent on Office
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 21, 2018
I worked in a small office on a small program and the majority of the problems I had with this job can be attributed to both of those realities.

That being said, it was amazing working on a program I grew to love with a small team of people who I felt I genuinely got to collaborate with. While I wish my job security and pay were better, I felt I was taken seriously the majority of the time and that is huge.
I would work here however...
Tax & License (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 5, 2018
The work I do is fairly detailed and depending on the time of the year can be extremely busy. The problem I see is sometimes management put managers/supervisors in places they shouldn't be in (i.e. know their job but not enough about supervising people or management people). There also tends to be not what you know but who you know in order to get a job in my opinion. Also if you work in a union job, no matter how well you do the job, it tends to be underrated in my opinion and glossed over.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Management tends to be the good old boys giving their friends promotions
Great Workplace - sometimes chaotic, but always rewarding work.
Management Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 13, 2018
City of Tacoma has incredible benefits -- one of the best I've ever come across. The compensation is very reasonable, too -- often better than similar positions in the private sector. Recently they have focused on encouraging employees to be healthy and have built a fitness center - I feel like management expects a lot but is also understanding and flexible when life happens.
would love to find full time employment at City of Tacoma
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WA 98402February 27, 2018
Would love to find full time employment at City of Tacoma, culture is more relaxed and less stressful than other companies I have worked for. Pension and 401K are great perks.
Great pay and benefits
City Council Member (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 9, 2018
The City of Tacoma offers highly competitive pay and benefits out pace other organizations to include very good and inexpensive health care benefits (medical, vision, dental), deferred compensation options, a strong and well-funded pension, and more.
Culture eats strategy for breakfast
Human Services (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 25, 2017
The City of Tacoma, while it pays well, has a culture that churns through people. The workplace is dominated by fear and instability. While the people there are top notch, there is an inherent instability.
Typical
Security Manager (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 31, 2017
No day the same. Ever changing circumstances. Dealing with employees, management, clients, guests, and family members.
First responder to medical emergencies, conflicts, etc.
Pros
Always a good day.
Cons
Going form good to great
Creative Director (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 27, 2017
They are trying to grow bigger, but not handling it well. People are starting to chase power and crushing people in their way. They also waste a lot of time and need to update systems to get the city to where it should be, not where it is.
Pros
potential
Cons
miss use of funding
Smart passionate staff, challenging work
Community Relations (Former Employee) –  TacomaFebruary 23, 2017
Great place to work if you're interested in you're local government. There projects are challenging and meaningful and the departments have very smart and capable staff who are invested in their work and the impact it will have on the city.
Hostile work environment
Human Services Contract & Program Auditor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 17, 2017
The City of Tacoma used to be a great place to work. Over the past 2 years, there have been so many staffing transitions without effective change management. The left hand never knows what the right hand is doing and to ask for clarification is viewed as a performance issue and not a strength.
Pros
Great benefits, making a difference in the community
Cons
Lacks Effective Management, No Communication, No Quality Control
community friendly with all the answers needed
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 11, 2017
worked there as an intern, but received equal treatment as an employee. learned the ropes as well as attending many city meetings that not most community members would be allowed to do. learned about landlord tenant laws, and how the community works with domestic violence survivors to give them a safe and secure place to rest their heads, without fear or judgement
You'll be compensated but there's a catch
IT manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 8, 2017
The City of Tacoma is constantly trying to reinvent themselves. They are continually finding new initiatives that always sound good on paper, yet they are never attempted wholeheartedly. New management and talented staff leave the City because of the inability to manage their objectives. The politics of working in this kind of environment make the compensation more of a punishment than a blessing.

The use of outside vendors cost the tax payers considerably more in an effort to drain the hired staff of the ability to obtain needed skills to effectively support their environment. Thus there is the attitude to just wait out the new management until it is replaced. At the end of the day, it's about your own emotional health that's key to a good position.

If you are considering employment here do your homework and ask about the turnover rate and who you'll be reporting to. You'll find talented staff there that want to do a great job but the issue is that the management is steeped in politics and self promotion.
Pros
Great pay and retierment
Cons
Badly managed
Productive place to work
Contract and Program Auditor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 1, 2016
Great place to work.Interactive with community. Fun people to work around. Have the chance to grow with agency.Able to work city council.
Pros
Cons
Short break
Absolutely amazing place to work
Recruit Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 20, 2015
The Tacoma Fire Department is a top notch organization, training, equipment, and staff are all very professional. The city of Tacoma's residents are lucky to have such a caring department.
Excellent coworkers and work environment
Senior GIS Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 5, 2015
Solid Waste database maintenance.
Work with internal customers most of the day.
Fixing other coworkers mistakes.
Helping people in need.
Lots of great training on and off the job.
Pros
No micro management
Cons
Management not listening to us
Tacoma Power has a very serious work environment, should loosen up.
Utility Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 6, 2014
A very good place to work with very good people. Management is a little stiff.
Pros
Compensation plans
Cons
Management stiffness
Organization void of creativity or innovation
Multimedia Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 8, 2014
It is the City's mission to provide cost-effective municipal services to its citizens, but that mission is simply not reflected in the business operations of the organization.

Ingenuity is actively discouraged, as the City seeks to settle for precedent at every opportunity. Despite Tacoma's status as a city on the rise, its government is unwilling to address critical issues or actively engage citizens.

Do not step into a role with the City thinking that you will easily make an impact on the organization's operations.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long hours, depressing culture, unclear expectations, uninvolved management
Easy going government job
Intern Web Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 9, 2014
As an intern web assistant, my duties were to mainly edit metadata for the city's webpage, and to check for grammar, spelling, text overflows, etc. I was not very familiar with any of these tasks before interning there, but I am very tech savvy, and with the guidance of the lead web developer, I quickly learned how to accomplish the tasks I needed to.

My co-workers were all very nice and accommodating, though I did feel a bit out of place, since there was a bit of an age gap. Most of my co-workers were older than I, so common interests were few and far between.

The hardest part about my job was trying to coordinate meetings and speak with individuals who wanted their web sections a certain way. I'm not the best speaker in a large group, so it was pretty unnerving. Still, I managed.

The most enjoyable part of the job was how relaxed the environment felt, having an office job, and the amazing view of the sound.
Pros
Relaxed workplace, nice co-workers
Cons
short-term employment due to intern status

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Tacoma. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Tacoma Reviews by Location