CITY OF TEMPE Employee Reviews

Fun workplace with a great culture
Coach (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 26, 2019
I got to work with rowers. It was a great work environment with great staff and management. I would go on a coach's launch everyday and work with the rowers. It was a great time.
Government office
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tempe, ArizonaOctober 27, 2018
Nice, friendly, polite people with a very good atmosphere. Good place to work in a foreign place as a volunteer and serve the foreign organization. Liked working here.
Pros
Flexible timings
Cons
Just volunteered here
Fun work place
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 24, 2018
City of tempe aquatics is a wonderful job and everyone who works there is great! Management is helpful and encouraging. You can either work inside or outside.
Productive workplace with good mentoring programs
IT Project Manager & Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  ArizonaOctober 8, 2018
Great place to work with tuition reimbursement for full time staff. Company support on staff training and development. Quarterly seminars for staff..
Pros
Telecommuncation
Cons
Less promotion from within
Friendly Enviornment
Print production lead (Former Employee) –  City of Tempe, AZAugust 17, 2018
The culture in the city is very relaxed and easy going. They had policies in place that made it easy to communicate with upper management. Working with city employees to solve problems was the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Relaxed enviornment
Cons
Political motivations
Progressively deteriorated as time went on
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXAugust 9, 2018
Lifeguarding and even Management for the city are fairly relaxed, however with duties including prevention of injury or death and the hours put in the pay I never felt was adequate. With deteriorating communication between management and staff, the job increased in stress often. Threats of penalties due to having to many hours when we were short handed, turned me away from continued work with the city of temple.
Pros
Relaxed and easy job, paid vacation and sick days
Cons
Odd work hours, at times bad management
We worked 4 10 hour days
Plant Operator & Driver (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 13, 2018
The work schedule was as follows Monday and Tuesday 6am till 4pm then we were off on Wednesday and worked Thursday and Friday we went back 6am till 4pm.
Fun workplace
Activity Leader (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 8, 2018
A typical day at work is by picking children up from hallway and marking who is present on roster, then signing the children in, take them to snack and plan weekly activites for the children to learn. What I learned from this job is lots of responsibility and kids teach you new things everyday!
Stressful at times
Records Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 2, 2018
Typical bidding for your spot with having Seniority. People in this department is content with staying in one place and doing the same thing for 20 years. This department is number second to the detention department (meaning looked upon). Once you are there, it's hard to get another position within the City. Yes, you can post out but, it's hard to move around so you stay put until next time. The environment is well adjusted - meaning some employees work harder then others (as to be expected like any other job). I am told a lot has changed since my time there, I hope for the better of the department
Pros
Union
Cons
Asking to take a lunch
Night Security (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 17, 2018
work was great. i like driving around. it made me feel awesome. sometimes i would have to turn off lights after hours. I usually lock up the bathrooms at night.
Pros
work
Cons
work
Collaborative Environment
Intern, Historic Preservation Department (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 3, 2018
Interning for the City of Tempe is an excellent introduction to local government in a growing urban city. Collaboration is key in government and there are many opportunities to work with various departments.
Park Security
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 27, 2018
I worked the night security job for the Tempe parks it was a great job to have after going to College all day at ASU. Not too stressful and got enough hours to pay for school.
productive fun place to work with kids
Clerical receptionist (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 27, 2018
A typical day at the center would be to clock in. once we are clocked in we head to the room we are assigned and watch the kids play. you can play pool with the kids, air hockey, or watch movies with the kids. management is real good about checking all the rooms and asking staff if we are okay and if we need their help. the workplace is great anyone is welcome everyone is treated the same and cared for. there really isnt anything hard about the job. the most fun thing about the job is working with the kids.
Pros
lots of activites
Cons
no benefits
I enjoyed working here with the kids
Activity Leader (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 1, 2018
The majority of the time working was fun.Not all of the time though. The area was a well protected area. The job helped me to be self sufficent. I also had the chance to make up my own crafts.
easy job
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 14, 2017
It was a typical city job in grounds. Lots of cruising around under the management of 20 years ago. Advancement for the right people. We just mowed, weedied parks
Pros
Easy work day
Cons
bad pay
Different Environement
Kid Zone Enrichment Program teacher assistant (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 6, 2017
My time at City of Tempe - Kid Zone was different. Teaching & being support staff in a classroom setting was an amazing learning experience. There were Areas of opportunity that were over looked.
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 22, 2017
The manager I worked for was out a lot but overall very great environment. The employees I worked with were very supportive and would help me with any problems.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
managment not responsive to employees request
slow paced enjoyable labor work
Parks and Recreation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 16, 2017
Pros
The best colleagues and managers! Free health insurance. A great amount of paid time off - including holidays, vacation time, and sick time. AZ state retirement. Tuition reimbursement. So many opportunities within the city!
Cons
Parking - the 1/2 mile walk to and from the uncovered parking lot is zero fun when it's 120 degrees. I had taken on many tasks that used to be (and were supposed to be) done by someone making 3 times my annual salary, but I did not receive any additional compensation.
Great place
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 9, 2017
This was a good working environment however not enough management oversight. The atmosphere however was good for employees and they supported learning and new ideas.
Pros
Good Family work environment
Cons
lack of supervision
Excellent place to work - people care.
ADA Compliance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 6, 2017
Learned work place culture is accepting of everyone. Management works with other departments to ensure collaboration. The culture is fast-paced, goal oriented, time management is critical.
Pros
Great management