City of Tulsa Employee Reviews

Fun enviroment. Nice people
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 30, 2018
It is a fun job but very strict on attendance and punctuality. Room for advancement. Plenty of overtime available. Nice people to work with. Open door policy.
Evaluation
Employee (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 29, 2018
The organization is not properly staffed and has a culture of complacency. A select few people know their job well and are efficient, these are generally the same people that try to improve the organization and move it forward.
A Day In the Life of a City Employee
Assistant Staff Auditor (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OK 74103June 25, 2018
My day starts very early in the morning. I have a boss who is very flexible and doesn't demand that we start our day at a specific time. I hit the floor running first thing, responding to emails, fulfilling requests, entering & checking the status of Requisitions, Purchase Orders, etc. I am responsible for setting up meetings, ordering meals & contacting all parties involved whenever there's a change or update. I assist my entire team of employees (10 total). On any given day I handle anywhere from 5 - 6 tasks at a time, prioritizing as I go along. The atmosphere at my place of work is very professional & quiet which is necessary for our line of work.
Pros
Early hours, quiet atmosphere, some travel, mandatory CPE credits each year
Cons
Inconsistent direction by upper Management, lack of understanding of task overload
Nice place to work
Sr. Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 24, 2018
I had a chance to experience the Public sector environment versus the Private sector! More intake from larger groups that can sometime slow the work process down. But overall I was able to bring knowledge where needed.
Pros
Workgroup
Cons
Schedule changes
My best day is someones worse day
Police Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 19, 2018
Every call was different, every caller was different.....
Everyone that worked for dispatch was different with the same common goal. save a life!
there are several parts to the job:
1) sometime I could be answering calls from callers screaming and cursing at me. can't take it personal because they could be in a crisis.
hardest part of the job, was determining what people are saying and getting help to them in the fastest way.
2) sometimes working directly with Police officers and giving them the correct information and at a timely amount of time.
3) Dispatching calls to officers from the phone and interpreting what the call taker is telling me per computer messaging so I can pass on vital information to officers at a timely manor.
Pros
close knit group
Cons
under staffed
the city
laboer (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 10, 2018
they have lead men tthat do npot want to teach new guys how to run a machine but i hjave no problem with the city I have 4 kids and a wife to take care of i think if you have to work in the oustide weather i shound get paid more.
City government provides a pension plan
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 2, 2018
The pension plan is an excellent benefit, however, when adding up all deductions from each paycheck, the employee pays a full 30% of gross wages. Government jobs are not necessarily for life.
Pros
Pension
Cons
turnover rate
Management needs work
Environmental Monitoring Technician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 17, 2018
Very simple work. Mostly known as cookbook chemistry with specific protocols to follow every day. Learned to conduct analysis related to wet chemistry, microbiology, and metals in drinking water, wastewater, stormwater, and streams. Workplace culture is abhorrent. You won't talk to your management working here often, which is nice at times when you want to get things done, but not great when conducting quarterly reviews or when you need something. Mostly enjoyed the ease and coworkers were the best. Learning new things was always enjoyable. There are over 50 different types of analysis. Over time, it can be a lot of different tasks to grow.
Being a manager is stressful but rewarding
Pool Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 8, 2018
Very difficult being a manager at a pool with no A/C. You do however get good pay and working for the city is always nice because you can make connections
Pros
Work for the Ctiy
Cons
No A/C
Longterm employment, dedicated co workers, excellent environment
Mechanical Shop Supv, Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 14, 2018
I enjoy working at the city of Tulsa. There are many departments with a diverse group of people who really care about doing their jobs. The culture is genuine, safe and we are continually looking for the best practices to accomplish tasks.
Pros
Support from others, coordinated efforts, numerous departments, dedicated workers, great managers and a great sense of teamwork.
Cons
Can take time to ascend to a position, some issues with pay equity
Employees made this a fun place to work
Office Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 12, 2018
Never knew what your day would be like until you walked in the door.
Management is good for the most part and it's unheard of anyone getting laid off due to the economy.
Pros
No lay-offs
Cons
Pay is not comparable to other idustries
Great supervisors and co workers
Road Crew Team (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 27, 2018
This job was very easy going most of the time. Everyone was great to work with and everyone got along. Saving tires one pot hole at a time. It was a great place to work
Progressive work environment
Director of Tulsa Parking Authority (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 20, 2018
Very collaborative team! Environment always changing for the better as the city grows and continues to be a real focal point for new business development.
Great place!
Fleet Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  3600 E. Mohawk Blvd.February 15, 2018
It was a good place to work, great people. Pretty laid back, I had a very good boss.

Many paid holidays made time off pretty common. You could take off when you were sick, which is awesome.

I miss working there.
Pros
Lots of time off
Cons
Not many
Not interested in reviewing
Senior LAN Administrator (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 27, 2018
Go to work, organized priorities for deployments.
Image machines, update with patches and software as needed.
Work with end user department to finalize profiles and move equipment to end users sections.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Low opportunity for growth
Great civil service place to work
Contracts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 25, 2018
The only issues I ever really had with working at the City of Tulsa were being blocked by HR for promotions. While I was there, the HR department was one big click and if you ticked off any one of them, you simply could not promote. That is a travesty for hard-working employees who are qualified to promote. The other issue was the poor salary. Benefits were good, but working for $28,000 per year when going to other cities could yield up to $48,000 for the same job tells you something is very wrong. At the same time, the civil service side protected most employees from frivolous supervisors and managers.
Pros
Job security and protection, even if not in a union
Cons
Salary and lack of promotions when you upset the HR department
Administrative Assistant III
Office Administrator II (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 22, 2018
My day would start off with getting everything out of everyone's office for filing. I did all the office support for the Lead Engineer and the Architects in the Special Projects section of Engineering Services. I tracked all invoices for payment. I prepared all the contracts that were needed for the project managers to distribute to the consulting firms they are using for their projects. I also tracked all the complaints that citizens called about to make sure they was taken care of in a timely manner.I enjoyed the variety of the job.
Pros
Dealing with the citizens and the variety that was everyday
Cons
Dealing with the government issues
policy and procdures
Payroll/ Personnel Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 7, 2018
Working for the City of Tulsa allowed me to learn more payroll/personnel skills. However, there was a good ole boys system and many job opportunities were given to employees who were not qualified.
Pros
vacation time and holidays
Cons
opportunity to advance
Decent environment
911 Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Tulsa okJanuary 5, 2018
Would recommend however the management is terrible and not enough staff to cover incoming calls. Very high stress levels and lots of overtime expected
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Poor Management
Relaxed atmosphere
STOREKEEPER (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 2, 2018
City of Tulsa is a great place to work. I enjoyed my coworkers and the work environment offered. The benefits were great but the pay increases are minimal to non existent
Pros
free time
Cons
wage increase minimal

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Tulsa. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Tulsa Reviews by Location