City of Tulsa Employee Reviews

Management vs Employees
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 26, 2019
There is no development or face to face communication between management and its employees. If you have a life issue and try to talk with management about it they either do not respond or refer you to another department. The attitude is very much, “not my problem or my department”
Benefits
Cons
No communication, hostile work environment
Decent Job
Construction Worker (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 29, 2019
The city is full of opetunity. You have to work for it but it’s there. Love my job and look forward to the future! Easy enough days work, great benefits, and an awesome retirement plan!
Great place to work long-term
Water Service Representative 1 (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 28, 2019
The city was very good to my family and I, the benefits were very nice and the pay was competitive. My job title was a very relaxed position and I was able to work at my own pace as long as I completed my daily tasks.
Pros
Long breaks between work
Cons
Worked in every element imaginable
Good starting point in career
DATABASE ADMIN I (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 19, 2019
The City of Tulsa worked with me while I was in school and I was able to graduate while working full-time. Once graduated, I was able to promote to a position in my field of study. I enjoyed the teams
I worked with and the management but it is very difficult to negotiate any salary increase.
Pros
Great team to work with
Cons
City is controlled by HR and difficult to get raises
It is a steady job!
Residential refuse Inspections Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 29, 2018
Been there 30 years and would recommend it to all. Like most other jobs it has a "good old boy" system to maneuver. Overall, it's been quite worth a retirement.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Upper managers are mostly unethical like most places
Possibly Greatest Employment
IT Support Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 15, 2018
I did not reach the education requirements (no BA in Computer Science) and so my contract was terminated when an internal hire was promoted to my position.
I would have stayed until retirement.
Pros
Phenomenal leadership
Cons
Beuracracy
Work only
Const. Inspector Manager (Former Employee) –  2317 S Jackson AveDecember 13, 2018
I had an office with 7 employees.
Office work including computer work
City vehicle to go check on inspectors and jobs
Vacation and sick days
Job freedom (control of projects)
Pros
City vehicle, vacation and sick days
Great work experience
Office Administrator of Operations (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 13, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working at the City and learned so much during my time there. The people were nice and always willing to help with anything I needed. It could be stressful at times but nothing out of the ordinary.
Enjoyable atmosphere and important work.
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OK 74103October 20, 2018
I enjoyed working at the City of Tulsa. The people were nice and there was an atmosphere of teamwork. People cared about each other and helped each other out when the workload was heavy.
Pros
Easy going atmosphere
Cons
Pay was low
Was a part-time 911 dispatcher, but it is very stressful
Part -Time 911 operator / dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 13, 2018
The job was very stressful, tough and demanding, but fair. You have to be sure you are ready everyday to face the challenge. There was a high turnover rate, but overall, it was a good job with good pay. They provide on the job training and keep you updated.
Pros
good pay for those without a college degree
Cons
rotating shifts; very stressful; had to deal with people problems
Really enjoyed working for City of Tulsa
Street Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 10, 2018
Really enjoyed working for them. Co workers seemed happy to train me. Learned alot while employed there. I would recommend my friends to get a job with the city.
Low morale
Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 30, 2018
the city needs to work on morale programs, management in my experience has acted unfairly, heavy levels of micromanaging which is why I'm pursuing newoptions.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 27, 2018
Working for the City is great. There are so many different jobs to explore within the City. I currently have a great and very flexible manager who is willing to help me advance my career. It is very few and far in between to find a manager that cares about your advancement.
Pros
great people
Cons
Downtown, pay
Great people to work with but city government is a lot different than most jobs.
Office Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 26, 2018
Working for the City of Tulsa was a very different environment than I was used to. It was a very structured and closely supervised environment, with a lot of strict compliance procedure to be followed. I learned a lot about city government and how it is very different from other businesses. My manager was very friendly, fair and actually we still stay in touch on Facebook. Even though the position didn't turn out to be a good fit for me and it was the first time I had ever been let go because 'it just wasn't working out', my manager was very respectful and I left with no loss of dignity or feeling as though I was treated unfairly. The position had a lot of details to remember and that made it tedious on the rare occasion that it was busy. The tasks were not complicated but they seemed to have a hard time finding the right people to handle the work load. The pay was low, the hours could be
long but the people were great. It's not a bad entry level position, if you are looking at a career in that sector.
Pros
friendly people, interesting work at times.
Cons
too structured and micro managed. There was no place for free thought and opinion.
On the right track
Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 13, 2018
There's 20 different departments. Your experience will depend upon where you go as each department and work group has its own culture. Great benefits and great opportunity to make a difference in your community.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Risk aversion is everywhere
Fun enviroment. Nice people
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 30, 2018
It is a fun job but very strict on attendance and punctuality. Room for advancement. Plenty of overtime available. Nice people to work with. Open door policy.
Evaluation
Employee (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 29, 2018
The organization is not properly staffed and has a culture of complacency. A select few people know their job well and are efficient, these are generally the same people that try to improve the organization and move it forward.
A Day In the Life of a City Employee
Assistant Staff Auditor (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OK 74103June 25, 2018
My day starts very early in the morning. I have a boss who is very flexible and doesn't demand that we start our day at a specific time. I hit the floor running first thing, responding to emails, fulfilling requests, entering & checking the status of Requisitions, Purchase Orders, etc. I am responsible for setting up meetings, ordering meals & contacting all parties involved whenever there's a change or update. I assist my entire team of employees (10 total). On any given day I handle anywhere from 5 - 6 tasks at a time, prioritizing as I go along. The atmosphere at my place of work is very professional & quiet which is necessary for our line of work.
Pros
Early hours, quiet atmosphere, some travel, mandatory CPE credits each year
Cons
Inconsistent direction by upper Management, lack of understanding of task overload
Nice place to work
Sr. Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 24, 2018
I had a chance to experience the Public sector environment versus the Private sector! More intake from larger groups that can sometime slow the work process down. But overall I was able to bring knowledge where needed.
Pros
Workgroup
Cons
Schedule changes
My best day is someones worse day
Police Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 19, 2018
Every call was different, every caller was different.....
Everyone that worked for dispatch was different with the same common goal. save a life!
there are several parts to the job:
1) sometime I could be answering calls from callers screaming and cursing at me. can't take it personal because they could be in a crisis.
hardest part of the job, was determining what people are saying and getting help to them in the fastest way.
2) sometimes working directly with Police officers and giving them the correct information and at a timely amount of time.
3) Dispatching calls to officers from the phone and interpreting what the call taker is telling me per computer messaging so I can pass on vital information to officers at a timely manor.
Pros
close knit group
Cons
under staffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Tulsa. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Tulsa Reviews by Location