City of Virginia Beach Employee Reviews

Room for advancement within City, not at Human Services
Eligibility Worker II, Senior worker (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 15, 2018
I enjoyed my work experience at the City of Virginia Beach. I was promoted a few times during my tenure with the City; however, towards the latter part of the years and with new management, it became challenging to advance to another position.
Pros
Good benefits and paid time off/holidays
Cons
Politics, insurance deductible extremely high
Volunteer Emergancy Services
Emergency Services Technician (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 9, 2018
My time as a Volunteer EMT with the Virginia Beach Rescue service was one of the most exhilarating things I have done. we saw humanity at their worst and their best
Most staff and management are fair.
DSP/ Behavioral Therapist (Recreation) (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJune 24, 2018
I have been employed with the city for almost 8 yrs. I started as an Arvon staff and just received a promotion as a behavioral specialist in the recreation department.
Pros
fun atmosphere
Cons
limited down time
Exciting
Utility Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Dam neck rdApril 30, 2018
Exciting and fast pace and there is a lot of learning and there are alot of good peole and a whole lot of room for advancement. You also get to learn other cultures
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Lack of responsibilities
excellent team mates
Direct support professional/case manager (Current Employee) –  VirginiaApril 30, 2018
on a typical day staff on duty will adhere to the client activity list than we determine which staff is taking what client. Our outings are always client centered and fun. Management can be either involved or distant but she taught us all how to work as a team and that's what matters most.
Fast paced advertising, marketing and public relations agency challenges every employee to be their best
Public Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaApril 30, 2018
I was so impressed by the team of the advertising, marketing and public relations agency that recruited me in Virginia Beach, VA, that I relocated to work a short contract with them. The position involved areas of the marketing and advertising field that were new to me, and the opportunity to broaden my skill set was priceless.
Pros
Extremely creative environment, terrific team members, high level client projects
Cons
Demanding 24-7 schedule, large agency that occasionally had communication difficulties internally
Professional
Police Recruit (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 28, 2018
Typical day of work varies with job title. I learned many skills all taught at the expense of the city. Management is professional. Culture is somewhat none existent. Hardest part was getting job offer. Most enjoyable part was being part of a very professional team.
Pros
Professional, Job security
Cons
Lack of community
If caring for children is your passion then VBST is your things.
Transportion (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 26, 2018
I enjoy working for VABeach public schools because I make a difference to the children and provide transportation for the children to be able to gain knowledge.
Don't, Just Dont
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 14, 2018
Everyone use to talk about once you got into the City of VB you were golden to have a long career there--that is far from teh case. The application process and interview process is insane. Only to get in to find your manager or supervisor is out to get you because they perceived you as a threat to them. This makes for a very stressful situation and work environment.
Benefits
Cons
poor management
Times have changed
Family Services Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 12, 2018
Very unpredictable work day, stressful at times, workplace culture constantly evolving, can have long hours, most enjoyable providing services to families that want assistance
Cons
Unpredictable work day
Great place to work and grow in your careers
ACL/Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  VirginiaFebruary 7, 2018
I have been with themfor almost 7 years and I have been promoted in my field. I am currently trying to appy for a higher position within the city. I am looking forward to growing with the company.
Clerk/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 7, 2018
A wonderful place to work. The staff is nice and very friendly. Everyone loves to help one another. The city is a big City so working along different managers for different positions was great.
Pros
more opening
Cons
na
fun place to work
Mental Health Assistant (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 21, 2018
Human Services Department. Caring for individual with developmental disabilities in their own personal home setting.This position involved working alone without much supervision.
Cons
Wear and Tear on personal vehicle
Good job for hard working individuals. Stressful but worth it.
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 18, 2018
A typical day at work can range from slow and boring to extremely busy and stressful depending on the day's events and rentals. I have learned a lot about teamwork and time management with this position and expect to continue my growth throughout the years. Management can sometimes be a bit stubborn but if you push for what you need (hours wise), you can usually get it. The workplace is a combination of relaxed and stressful but there is a lot of cooperation and friendliness among the workers. The hardest part of the job is enforcing the rules evenly and consistently with other guards, especially with stubborn patrons and dealing with the stress and worry about an emergency occurring at any moment. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the regular patrons and connecting with the community.
Cons
Mandatory, half-hour lunch breaks without pay for any shift over 5 hours
Amazing support system and fun environment
Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 15, 2018
Working with the City of Virginia Beach was an incredible experience. Having the opportunity to work with the community and build friendships with amazing co workers was a life changing experience that helped me grow personally and professionally. Working in Parks and Rec. was just as fun as I had hoped it would be.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Paid leave, holiday pay
Cons
Competitive upward mobility, little opportunity for advancement
A wonderful experience
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 26, 2017
A typical day was laid back, however vital in regards to customer satisfaction. Management was always helpful no matter what.
Customer Service was the most enjoyable part.
Pros
Great experience
Work Place
Eligibility Worker I (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 8, 2017
NO TRAINING , LACK of Training, Training is horrible if you know nothing about Human Services . No one wants to train a new person , Only certain teams have a really good Supervisor and care about what you are doing and learning . And the CITY and Human Services knows about the complaints from other team members about a certain Supervisor . It's in all who you know . If you know the big people in that office then you will not get into any trouble or be held for lack of professionalism .
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
No professionalism
Deputy Sheriff
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 1, 2017
They preach thin blue line and how they have your back, yet you spend most of your time watching your own back. Lies, cut throat, etc. There are some great people there to work with, however, most of the ranked positions are all back stabbers. They listen to the inmates over the deputies. Terrible place to work and truly is a black eye on the law enforcement community.
Pros
Fellow deputies
Cons
Very good place to work at
VIRGINIA BEACH (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 20, 2017
Love working here the people are get ,and it's room to advance, supervisor are get to work with,they have classes for you to improve they way you work
Pros
Good work Environment
Cons
N/a
relaxed
Custodial Inspector (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 7, 2017
Great place to work. Most all employees are friendly and well mannered. Supervisors treat people fairly and with respect. Over all great organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Virginia Beach. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight