City of Virginia Beach Employee Reviews

it was a good place to work at
MAINTENANCE WORKER (Current Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 14, 2018
i have learned team work. the upper management did all it could to make the the job as save as possible. The hardest part of the job was sometimes we had to work longer hours, also working in the bad weather. The best port of the job was seeing the how your work look when you were finish. A typical days of work would be getting to the job and do the work.
Fast paced work environment
Refuse Collector (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 29, 2018
If you are hard working and looking for a career with job advancement then the city of va beach is where you want to work. You get to see different areas of the city and are able to interact with the public.
Fun place
ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER/KITCHEN MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 21, 2018
I loved working here was a great experience and was still able to enjoy and have fun. The staff was great and it was fast paced so the time never seemed to drag.
Simple job with benefits
Groundskeeper landscaper (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 13, 2018
They hire people who don’t work out and then never get rid of them. No quality control, people aren’t held accountable, management doesn’t know the job, no tradesmen in the trade
Benefits
Cons
No room for advancement, low pay
Customers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 9, 2018
I love working with and serving the customers, they always brightened up my day. Some of the managers were awesome as well. I feel like some of the workers get more lead way then others and it's not fair for the ones who actually bust their tales to make things happen. Even when we speak up nothing is ever resolved about the situation at hand.
Pros
lunch breaks
Cons
you don't always get recognized for the good job that you do
Training
Clerk III, Stormwater Management/BMP (Current Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 7, 2018
the city of Virginia beach is very good with training and taking classes to get certified in different fields. The city of Virginia beach s great as far as us working 4-10hr days.
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 29, 2018
City of VB is a great place to work and has a wonderful ethic and integrity mission. They strive on being the top notch and a fore-runner in the local government industry.
good place to work at
Recreation Specialist (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 17, 2018
typical work dy here you come in and clock in for your shift.Depending on what station your in you might want to get as much time yourself as possible.i learned the importance of bing ontime to work working there. the culture depends onwhat rec center they ssign you too.
Pros
clean safe workplace
Cons
no free membership
Room for advancement within City, not at Human Services
Eligibility Worker II, Senior worker (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 15, 2018
I enjoyed my work experience at the City of Virginia Beach. I was promoted a few times during my tenure with the City; however, towards the latter part of the years and with new management, it became challenging to advance to another position.
Pros
Good benefits and paid time off/holidays
Cons
Politics, insurance deductible extremely high
Volunteer Emergancy Services
Emergency Services Technician (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 9, 2018
My time as a Volunteer EMT with the Virginia Beach Rescue service was one of the most exhilarating things I have done. we saw humanity at their worst and their best
Good work place, pay just was not enough for the job I was doing
File Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 28, 2018
I was a temp and the pay was not enough to take care of my family so I had to leave the office. The pay is not enough for all the work that they want you to do.
Great PlaceTo work
Market Sell Through Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJune 27, 2018
It was a great place to Work. They allowed travel to many different places on their dime paid for your meals and hotel stays. All in all not bad place to work.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Alot of travel
Just like to work work and work
Maintenance service technician (Current Employee) –  Joining all major repairsJune 26, 2018
Well working for the company I do plumbing electrical HVAC all major turns it's an okay company to work for pay scales not that great plus taking calls two weeks out of the month
City of VA Beach
Clinician I, Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 25, 2018
Stressful environment
Constantly changing environment
Professional environment
Policy Changes
Enables professional growth
Needs a stronger Electronic Health Record System
Most staff and management are fair.
DSP/ Behavioral Therapist (Recreation) (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJune 24, 2018
I have been employed with the city for almost 8 yrs. I started as an Arvon staff and just received a promotion as a behavioral specialist in the recreation department.
Pros
fun atmosphere
Cons
limited down time
Not bad but could be better
Virginia Beach (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 17, 2018
it's okay, but not a career worthy position. Staff are friendly, kids are awesome, management could be better. Nothing bad to say, just wish that stability of work and life balance can be given. They want you to adapt to the needs of the city but not the needs of desired salary; and supplies for learning.
Pros
new experience
Cons
no room to grow, no consistency
Difficult and over bearing stressful work place.
Eligibility Worker II (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 8, 2018
The work environment is degrading and controlling. Lack of support and continuous negative management style. To keep your job you don't express your opinions or ideas. Direct supervisors are not able to support their staff for fear of losing their jobs. Hardest part of the job is dealing with all the rules and the tyranny. There is no moral left and people have retired in droves and new employees last about 3 months on average.
Exciting
Utility Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Dam neck rdApril 30, 2018
Exciting and fast pace and there is a lot of learning and there are alot of good peole and a whole lot of room for advancement. You also get to learn other cultures
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Lack of responsibilities
excellent team mates
Direct support professional/case manager (Current Employee) –  VirginiaApril 30, 2018
on a typical day staff on duty will adhere to the client activity list than we determine which staff is taking what client. Our outings are always client centered and fun. Management can be either involved or distant but she taught us all how to work as a team and that's what matters most.
Fast paced advertising, marketing and public relations agency challenges every employee to be their best
Public Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaApril 30, 2018
I was so impressed by the team of the advertising, marketing and public relations agency that recruited me in Virginia Beach, VA, that I relocated to work a short contract with them. The position involved areas of the marketing and advertising field that were new to me, and the opportunity to broaden my skill set was priceless.
Pros
Extremely creative environment, terrific team members, high level client projects
Cons
Demanding 24-7 schedule, large agency that occasionally had communication difficulties internally

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Virginia Beach. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8

3.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

City of Virginia Beach Reviews by Location