City of Wichita Employee Reviews

I am in a temp positon...
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 25, 2019
however I have nothing but positives to say. My direct supervisor is amazing and always makes sure I am 100% clear on my duties. While I am very thankful for the opportunity I've had here, it doesn't seem likely it will transition into a permanent position.
Good
Case Creations Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 21, 2019
Enjoy what 8 do there at the City. Benefits are great along with discounts. Always get a chance to move up in the department you're in or go to a different department. When you're seen and known for doing your work, it's great, quality is great etc, you're encouraged to apply for another position.
Fun place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 30, 2019
It was a relaxed environment with a collaborative working experience. Everybody was always willing to give you a hand if needed and you were always given a clear cut objective of what was expected from your job.
Not really a good place to work at
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 4, 2019
Good starting job but after more then 7 years they will try to get rid of you lots of brown nosers and suck ups there if your not in the bosses good side you will get screwed
Pros
Health and dental insurance is good
Cons
Supervisor are the worst
Good work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 2, 2018
Good work environment/ Positive supervision. Weekends off, as well as major holidays. Great location and secured parking. secure building, along with cafeteria and other services
Pros
Cosistent schedule
Demanding Job But worth the time
Animal Control Officer II (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 3, 2018
Animal Control is not an easy job. But dealing with the customers could be very satisfying at times. The City does as much as it can to assist their workers in all fields.
Productive environment
Call Center Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 20, 2018
I enjoyed working for the City of Wichita. They offered part time positions and full time. Paid holidays, Monday through Friday shifts. I wish we had an opportunity to make a monthly bonus, I would have then stayed.
The hardest part of the job
Engineering Aide II/Maintenance Inspection (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 5, 2018
Trying to be fair to all involved. Sometimes I had to make judgement calls which made my job harder to do everyday. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I met.
Decent work conditions with incompetent managers
Fire Investigator (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 30, 2018
Be a firefighter! Although it may take months to be hired, the position has a lot of benefits. The schedule is great. It’s a union shop, so pay is based on a contractual scale.
Pros
Schedule
Productive and Fun
Bus Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 24, 2018
I started as a bus mechanic and moved into the building and equipment side of things. It was a good job and a good group of people. I had to move on for personal reasons.
Benefits
Nice peaceful workplace
City Hall IT Internship (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 14, 2018
When I was employed here I had a very pleasing experience. I was able to complete my job when around others. My coworkers were very helpful especially when it came to helping me with separating document.
It was a great place to work when i was in high school.
Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 10, 2018
Arrive at work at 0730 if I was opening. I would set up all of the cash registers and open up all of the gates. Then I would work until 1530.
If I closed the park then I would arrive at 1530 and work until 2200. During that time I would make sure all the employees were doing their jobs and making sure visitors were following rules. Then I would close all of the attractions at 8 and count the money and out it in the safe.
Great place to work. Suppervisior always worked with you.
Equipment Operator 1 Parks Department (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 7, 2018
Management was always concerned about your safety. If you needed help with your job they provide it. We had monthly safety meetings and extra brakes in very hot weather.
Know the right people
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 11, 2018
Lots of politics and bad leadership. If you know the right people you could potentially go far. If you have the ability to stay under the radar long enough you might make it awhile but its not worth the hostile work environment.
The city is a good place to work at
Custodian/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 7, 2018
The benefits are excellent. The pay rate is low at first but you do get guaranteed pay raises which you won't always get if you work for the school district. You get more vacation/sick days than if you work for the school district as well. The retirement pension is above average in comparison to school and state jobs. If you stay over 7 years, you get really decent pension pay outs. It depends on what you do for the city but it's fairly a relaxed job atmosphere. You're expected to do the job well after the introductory period. The city health insurance is excellent and cheaper than the state or school district's.
Pros
Relaxed work atmosphere. Excellent supervisor
Cons
Work extreme early hours 5 am to 1:30 pm
Great workplace for teens who need summer jobs!
Summer Youth Program (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 2, 2018
summer job for teens, the TWTW program, helps young people be able to have experience at many places through wichita for example, Goodwill, WSU, Airport and even public libraries!
Pros
job training
Cons
nothing.
Decent work environment
City of Wichita/Maintenance Specialist/Operations (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 2, 2018
Overall decent work, can be stressful at times. Competitive work place. People are friendly for the most part. Be prepared to take test (and physical) for promotions
Benefits
Cons
Very picky at times.
nice people
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 25, 2018
i liked this job because of the different races in the work place a lot of different view points on how we should handle a situation the people you meet will become friends .
Bad atmosphere to work in poor morale
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 14, 2018
Management is terrible, they set you up for failure by giving you assignments outside your expertise and then use it on you to fail you. The atmosphere is always that they are trying to get rid of everyone and the feeling is that there is no job security.
Productive and challenging work place
Public works and Utilities (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 5, 2018
Typical day at work was never the same, something different each day. Hardest of the job was exposure to fumes and chemicals. The most enjoyable part was staying busy. Management was quite supportive and inspiring. What I learned at this job was good work ethic, the ability to improve.
Pros
Learning new things, get luncheons, 1st shift.
Cons
Lunch timing, mechanical faults.