City of Wilmington Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Productive & Fun Work Place
Building Custodian (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 20, 2018
Its A Job To Give Kids A Chance To Earn Their Own Money Through The Summer, Gives Kids A Chance To Learn responsiblitys But also A Fun Job, The Best Part Of The Job Was The Checks After a Hard Week Of Work
exciting and engaging environment
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 7, 2018
The City of Wilmington provided a engaging and learning environment work place. Working in a leadership position served as a teaching lesson for not only the children in the facility but to myself also.
Relaxed
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 6, 2018
This was a good place to work. If i had questions, they were answered quickly and liked the fact that i was able to witness what it felt like to go on a field visit.
Good benefits. Need to implrove on promoting from within
Employee (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMay 24, 2018
The culture has changed significantly over the years. There is less effort placed on preparing employees for promotion. Pay is not comparable to similar organizations. Management displays a lack of trust for employees. There is no loyalty to employees who have time invested with the organization.
Benefits
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEApril 25, 2018
Enjoyed being a police officer and working with my peers and the community of Wilmington, Delaware. I was able to perform my duties to provide safety and wellness to the city.
work palce
Wilmington (Current Employee) –  WilmingtonApril 10, 2018
very positive family good team they take care of there workers down to management very nice guys the work is intense but they prepare us for the day they we have ahead of us
Honest days work
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, ILApril 4, 2018
*Steady call volume
*Great town
*Pay is Competitive
*Training is above and beyond most departments
*Facility is nice

Being micro managed can be hard at times.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Sometimes micro managed
Fast paced collaborative environment
Parking Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJanuary 16, 2018
My responsibilities as parking manager were never same 2 days in a row. It was exciting, because you needed to react/respond to a variety of customers and elected officials concerns and expectations. Had to learn how to manage time and people. I used a variety of skills: budgeting, strategic planning, contract negotiations, customer service, facility management, security systems, data base management, financial management, forecasting revenues, community outreach, development and implementation of new e-services and conveniences, event management and meeting facilitator. Prepared and presented legislation for City Council's review and action.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Work/Life balance is too work heavy. But it's for the betterment of the community.
great
Site Supervisor/Director (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEDecember 27, 2017
teamwork and great to work with many young youths in the city of wilm to help with guidelines. Taught sports and had to use behavior attitudes to go with sports
Pros
teamwork
Cons
leaving
It’s a good first job
Teen Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEDecember 16, 2017
The city of Wilmington runs a summer youth program and gives children from 14-20 a summer job for about 6 weeks. Great first job as an adolescent every one should apply in March
Ensuring the program is running effectively and able to feed the children of the community is fulfilling.
Site Food Program Monitor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEOctober 28, 2017
I believe the City of Wilmington is a good place to work and what is even better is being a part of a program for children in poverty areas. I have worked with the program and supervised parker supervisors and youth worker was also a great experience. We (food distributor, truck drivers, site/park supervisors and youth workers, food monitors, administrative assistants) all worked as a team to overcome the overall goal.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
job security and advancement is limited
Productive and fun place to work.
Recreation Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCOctober 23, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is understanding what the community needs and creating and/or maintaining programs to meet those needs, while recruiting volunteers from the community for better collaboration and service.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
At times, more work than available staff.
collect trash
Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCOctober 20, 2017
collect and got rid of trash by talking to the landfill. We collected and recycle trash bends. We delivered trash can to families. we help keep city parks clean.
Pros
working overtime
Cons
not enough pay
Productive workplace
Firefighter/EMT (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEAugust 13, 2017
A typical work day was full of hussle and bussle, loading and unloading pallets. I learned to remain vigilant of my surroundings, and to remain visible to others for safety
Pros
Experience opportunities
Cons
Lots to pay attention to
Great place to start a career
Technician (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEAugust 8, 2017
The city of Wilmington is a great place to start a career for people with no work experience and little extended education. Advancement into higher positions are always possible, however, serious issues with management may make it very difficult. It is the type of environment where advancements are made possible by the people you know rather then the skillsets you possess.
Pros
Amazing benefits
Cons
extremly poor managment, very difficult work environment, corruption
Greatest group of people you will ever want to meet
Code Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJuly 20, 2017
I loved this job. It was one of the best jobs I have ever had. My co -workers were phenomenal and I will cherish all them for days to come. Great perks too!
Pros
teamwork
Cons
Hr
The city of wilmington does a good job with hiring teens
trash man (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJuly 11, 2017
I had a good time working for the city of Wilmington. I will go back if I could. The checks where minimum wage but it was a part-time job anyway. It's a dangerous job.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
In the hood
Business office work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 24, 2017
Answer phone calls, send out workers to fix work needed in areas all over the city of Wilmington, rent out parks and supplies for summer gathering or party's,
Pros
Working with very organized company
productive and relaxed office setting.
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 13, 2017
The people are super nice and helpful when you need them. Staying focused is key in order to fulfill daily requirements. All supervisors are hands on and willing to work with or around ever-changing schedules.
fun plaace to work
Park Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMay 7, 2017
good days bad days good kids bad kids helpful people takes trips explore what world has to offer easy job easy money would do it all over again had to