Civano Nursery Inc Employee Reviews

Reflections
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sahuarita, AZMay 31, 2019
My day started and ended with sending statements, posting invoices, depositing checks every day.
I learned alot about AR and practices of a very busy office.
The work environment was a bit awkward because we were secluded from the rest of the team.
The satisfaction of getting my desk cleared off by the time friday came was my goal each week.
Pros
Good bosses
Cons
No breaks
I have a lot to say -- read the review
Propagation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 20, 2019
I would like to preface my review as it probably will not be taken seriously by management (which is the attitude I encountered for most of my time spent at Civano) and it will be mocked among management and my former peers as me being a "disgruntled employee".

It was very important for me to leave on good terms with Civano. I spent 6 years there, I put a lot of my life, love, sweat and tears into that place and I would have done pretty much anything for them. I chose to leave for a variety of factors, but I kept many of the harsh realities to myself because, as I said before, it was important for me to leave on good terms. Unfortunately that didn't happen. I put in my two weeks notice and I was immediately treated like garbage and one of the main things I told them I was leaving for was because they left me out of the conversations regarding my team. When I told them this, they said, "Oh, its not just you, we do that to everyone." Wait, what?! That doesn't make it right!! The next day, my supervisor told me he was having a meeting with my top three minions and I asked if i was going to be involved in that conversation. He told me no. Why wouldn't the company want me involved in a smooth transistion? The owner acted like I didn't exist, and in general, I was treated like garbage so I decided to hand in my keys that day and not go back and spend my last two weeks being crapped on.

Here's the real list of reasons of why I left, maybe management will take something away from it, maybe not. Either way, I was a dedicated employee who loved that place and would have
  more... done anything for them.

- A few months ago, I reached out to the owner because of how I was being treated by my direct supervisor, Nothing was done.
- Overtime being taken away. This is not the way to show your employees you care about them.
- Two weeks Vacation was given to all employees after 5 years of employment. They changed it recently where everyone gets two weeks of PTO instead, which means they can actually force you to use your vacation time even if you don't want to.
- My managers making decisions regarding my crew and not involving me in those conversations.
- The way things were handled with several of my coworkers who are no longer employed with Civano for similar reasons.
- Civano manipulates facts to feed their narrative. If a supervisor doesn't like someone, they don't even have a chance.
- Finding out the girls underneath me who worked for me for a year made one dollars less and hour than I did, I was there for 6 years.
- I was good at my job, really good at my job. I never got any guidance or feedback, even when I asked for it, except for the nitpicking my direct supervisor did, such as employees entering the break room too often.
- The bad planning of the facility, making everyone's job more difficult.
- My husband being let go and the way it was handled.
- Everyone at Civano has their own set of rules, they are only consistent with their policies if it firs their agenda, like getting rid of someone.
- Despite my facility tripling in size, and in general a lot more responsibility over the last year, I received the lowest raise I had ever received in my six years with the company which made me feel as though I had hit a ceiling and I wasn't going any higher or making any more money.
- Immediately after I walked out, they terminated my health insurance, which I believe is standard for most companies, but the woman who is supposedly incredibly experienced in HR, chose to not reach out me regarding the COBRA program that they are legally required to offer.
- They also refused to pay out my accrued vacation because I 'walked off'.

Respecting your employees goes a long way. Listening to your employees goes a long way. The farm manager is incredibly manipulative, toxic, and one of the number one reasons I left a company I thought I was gonna be at for the rest of my life.
Fair place to work
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 6, 2018
Its an ok place to work for someone just getting started, I would not make a career out of it, the owners are very nice people. and workers are too. It has good stability.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
no advancement
effort = reward
current employee (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 24, 2018
This is one of the few places I've worked, where each employee is treated as a person and not a number. The company is growing fast and the owners and managers are always looking for people who shine. Opportunities abound.
Pros
plenty of opportunity for advancement
Cons
you actually have to work, (imagine that)
Civano Nursery is a great place to work!
Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Sahuarita, AZSeptember 20, 2018
We always have a good time here at Civano. It is so beautiful out here on the farm!
Management is very nice and appreciative of a job well done. It's nice to be recognized when you do a good job.
A place for improvement
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 19, 2018
If you care about plants this job will be rewarding. You'll be surrounded by them all day-- a great opportunity to learn and grow, literally.
The work culture is good, everyone tends to get along well. Expect to make friends with your coworkers.
Managers can be strict, but show up, work hard and your work will be rewarded.
Initiative is important and will be noticed. There is room for upward growth for people who try hard and are self-motivated. There is little patience for people who need micromanagement.
Attendance is very important, but they can be forgiving in special circumstances.
They appreciate honesty and candor, and expect employees to speak up if they believe there is something that could be improved upon. Don't expect to be steamrolled by your boss, everyone has a voice at this company.
Overall, Civano Nursery is a good place to work. Not a place you dread coming to in the morning, but a place you look forward to.
Pros
Coworkers, upward growth
Cons
Not enough paid time off
Fast paced and big learning environment
Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Sahuarita, AZSeptember 19, 2018
I love this job because I am always learning about plants! I am half in the farm and half in the office, constantly working with plants and customers and I could not be happier! I love the team I work with and everyone else is very nice. Nobody likes to work in 120 degree heat but the Civano team makes the time fly! I look forward to building the Civano Family!
Pros
Learn new plants everyday
Cons
Can be overwhelming and a lot to learn
If you want to work in the Horticulture Industry in South AZ, this is the place to be.
Wholesale Representative (Current Employee) –  Sahuarita, AZSeptember 19, 2018
Company wide:

I have worked at/with multiple other nurseries in the area, and this is by far one of the most advanced and professional companies. The company is experiencing economic growth and they are continually improving their facilities with employees and customers in mind. There is plenty room to learn, contribute and advance here.

Management is considerate and respectful to employees. (Family owned, great work culture.) Work is physical and difficult, but no one is expected to push themselves beyond what is healthy or safe. Be prepared to endure the summer heat and winter cold - plants grown outside and in greenhouses. (Tools and information that you need to complete your job are provided by the company - most nurseries do NOT do this. Compensation is higher here than at other nurseries.)

Sales team specific:

Team is hardworking, communicates well and respects their customers. We handle customer accounts (need to have soft-skills and be comfortable using a computer). Job is fast paced and detail oriented, especially during the spring and fall busy seasons. If you don't know a lot about plants, you will absolutely learn it in this position (botanical names, cultivars, growth habits, growth conditions and speeds, care instructions, and more).

This position can be stressful: requires multitasking, detailed understanding of our massive inventory, people skills, organization and self motivation. But it is extremely satisfying - I love coming to work every day.
Pros
Company is growing, great work culture, good pay.
Cons
Much of the work is outside, even for "office" work like sales positions.
Great Experience and Good People!
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Summit, AZSeptember 19, 2018
Civano Nursery, like many wholesale nurseries, has a fast paced work environment. I have found in my year of employment, that if you perform your job diligently, many opportunities for lateral and upward movement exist. Civano regularly assists its employees in learning new skills and pays for additional training outside of work. This is a fast growing company that continuously works to provide opportunities and a safe work environment for its employees. I am happy to say that I like and appreciate all of my fellow co-workers.Of all of the nurseries I have experience with in the Tucson region, this is the only nursery that has the organization needed to continue to grow and pay its employees a fair wage. I was promoted after 5 months of employment and received a pay increase my first year. I would highly recommend anyone interested in the Horticultural and Nursery industry consider Civano as an employment option.
Pros
Opportunities for Advancement, Good Job Work/Life Balance
A great place to work
A/P Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 19, 2018
A great company to work for. The owners really appreciate each and every employee. Everyone really tries to work together and help one another which makes going to work enjoyable.
Job it self is good but some issues in other areas
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 16, 2017
Overtime was eliminated and was still required to work overtime daily.
In agriculture there is a federal law that gives employers a choice to pay overtime pay to employees for hours work past 40 or keep it at straight pay for hours work past 40.
Great owners, horrible managers
Plant Propagator (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 4, 2017
It's a great place to work if you keep your head down, don't say anything, and work hard... Otherwise you will be picked on by the field manager. It's also best of you know Spanish because the supervisors do not like having to explain instructions in English.
The work itself is fulfilling and the owners of the company are wonderful people. They offer decent benefits and earned paid time off after 90 days.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Supervisors and field manager
under paid, set up to fail, workers didnt know english
Nursery Laborer (Former Employee) –  Sahuarita, AZJuly 9, 2016
Their view of promotions was setting people up to fail. The management was hard to get along with. Only a few of the workers knew english. Most of all the work being performed deserved higher pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Civano Nursery Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

Civano Nursery Inc Reviews by Location