Claire's Employee Reviews

Found 1,963 reviews matching the search See all 2,680 reviews
Hard working and fast paced environment with excellent management.
3rd Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Panama City, FLDecember 27, 2018
Claire's is a competitive children's accessories store with many goals throughout the day. Normally it's very busy and decisions are made on the fly. We must be ready for anything! Helping customers and going about our daily checklist is what most of our time consists of. The hardest part of the job is piercing ears.I learned many things working at Claire's and the biggest thing of all is patience.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, management, employee discount
Cons
short breaks, no health benefits, no paid time off
Bad place to work for
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutAugust 3, 2018
Claire's has minimal training for ear piercing. They give full-time employees with benefits max 27 hours a week. They would make you work five or more hours no break. Sometimes you work open to close without someone covering you for a half. They hire unqualified managers who are inexperienced, young, and full of drama. They do not conduct s professional work environment at all. They overstuff their stores and send ten times the product to fill the minimal backroom space including the bathroom. It was very hazardous and not safe to use the restroom with all the signage and product in the way. I do not recommend even high school kids to work in that company.
Pros
Meeting customers and making children happy
Cons
No breaks, unprofessionalism, no career advancement, no hours, no training, no staff, drama, cut-throat
Great business, poor culture
IT (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILJanuary 3, 2019
The IT department gets in first, and is the last to leave. There was an overall corporate layoff in 2016 and the HQ IT department has never recovered. Other departments have recovered and increased headcount, yet IT has not added any positions. The pace is constant project completion pace with 3 or more projects ongoing at any time. This pace includes your daily work as well.

Most end users are respectful and are understanding when tickets are not answered immediately. SLAs are reasonable, but do not only count business days, weekends (not worked) and holidays are still counted. This can make things difficult for areas that are not working 7 days.

Global relationships are created and maintained, but the company as a whole does not have a global mindset or focus.
Pros
onsite cafeteria, decent vacation benefits
Cons
little work life balance, no coverage for vacations
i would recommend
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLOctober 1, 2018
This was a beautiful experience for me as a first job i was instantly promoted to ASM after working here only a few months i did learn a lot and build a really good resume but the management was not loving or concerned with/about employees, only with themselves but i did hear that their management team changed. They have a really strong culture and push a lot to be the best which has many pros and cons! to me the most enjoyable part was working with my customers! And helping them find gifts and create birthday themes and celebrating the holidays! There was a lot of creativity involved working here.
Pros
Great learning fun work environment
Cons
Management was over working employee
Keyholder/ASM
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Milford, CTNovember 2, 2018
I will never have another experience like I did working at Icing (DBA of Claire's.) I worked my tail off at 4 different locations (3 Icing's, 1 Claire's.) I worked at the location in Milford, CT as the assistant manager. I took full responsibility as if it were my own store. I made it my personal mission to take this store out of its negative streak. I am responsible for pulling out the stretch goal in quarter 2 for this store and I have the numbers to prove it. After being such a good employee in this store, I could no longer take the verbal abuse that I endured from the store manager. I transferred to the Trumbull, CT store. My district manager said that if I worked at the Trumbull location that when the assistant manager position became available, it would be mine. The position became available and I was soon forgotten about. After maintaining high metrics and selling high priced items like our $100 diamond earring, I was left in the dust. I did such a good job but I was taken for granted.
Pros
60% off discount, girly environment
Cons
Low wages, long hours, unpredictable management
Good Part-time Seasonal Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Castle Rock, COOctober 20, 2018
It was mostly fun because of the people that I worked with. Different kinds of people with different backgrounds and ideas with capable management. It was fun to work with them, but I had so few hours I had to leave. Some weeks they wouldn't schedule me at all, and whenever they did it was like a 10 hour shift where I wouldn't get a break. No chance to move up at all, I did the same thing with no variation every shift.
Pros
Fun people, good environment, discounts were great
Cons
Awful about breaks, no advancement, fickle about shifts
Fun if fully staffed
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CANovember 6, 2018
I started from the bottom and quickly rose to Store Manager position. Working here definitely brought me out of my shell and taught me a lot about working with people. It's a different kind of retail being a role model for young girls and getting to show your creative and fun side. Honestly, I love the company but recent happenings has turned me off to working here. It's a very fun place to work when it stays organized and fully staffed. If you have employees that don't care it can get very messy very quickly and very overwhelming. As a store manager, I'm constantly putting out fires even on my days off and dealing with unreliable people... But so is the life of retail. Upper management gets overwhelmed and expects you to deal with everything yourself and hire/recruit for yourself. Also, expectations are very high considering the amount of hours we recieve. Even if you're not short staffed you don't get the hours you really need to complete certain tasks. But overall a great place to learn. I would recommend as a first starting job.
Pros
Fun, opportunity for growth, benefits for full time, Pto
Cons
High expectations with not enough incentive
Do not work at Claires!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 15, 2019
Company is going down. Be very cautious of letting your teenage kid work here.The pay is very low for the work performed. Keyholders are barely trained a few weeks at ear piercings and then go to pierce little babies ears. Other retail stores will pay more that have safer working conditions, will have more training hours to train better, and will give more hours every week. Work overload and low allocated hours pressures employees to work of the clock. Upper management is rude to store managers. Our district manager always made us feel inadequate. I've seen and heard of some great leaders leaving due to management making them feel horrible during store visits. There needs to be more positive reinforcement to keep your great employees! I've been in retail for years and have never been treated this badly by a company. It's ridiculous to see some phenomenal employees stay working for this company that is obviously going downhill in bankruptcy. Work somewhere else where you will be appreciated and well compensated for all that hard work.
Pros
Benefits for full time employees, awesome team of co workers, pto.
Cons
No hours, low pay, dangerous backrooms.
Horrendous
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Leominster, MAAugust 13, 2018
You couldn't trust your upper management they would find a way to get you fired or make whoever they didnt like quit and then blame you for a lack of staff. Had a particular situation where stores would be blamed for flagging when it was all because of the upper management who trained every single store to do things in a particular manner (in particularly with their ear piercing). One day training to be a store manager right before black friday and even being promised more training which never happened. This company is a joke. You dont get treated with respect, it seems like high school drama, improperly trained staff, and unrealistic expectations. A lot of shady business within the company. No wonder they are losing traffic.
Pros
Loved my coworkers
Cons
Improper training, lack of support from upper management
Decent
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Rosemont, ILDecember 3, 2018
Claire’s is a really good first job. Nothing to big or small just jewelry to fix and clean. Customers are decent nothing to bad depending on the place that you work at. But the pay is poor for a third key manager that I was. The district manger refused to raise. Boxes of shipment in one day and they will pile up and at the last minute the store manger would make you stay after hours to work on the shipment. You get a 30% employee discount.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Poor pay
It was an expierence.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2018
Claire's is a great place to work at, you gain great skills while working there. It's a very busy place so you have to stay focus. The only downfall was the head management where not as great when it came to giving the staffs their schedules. The hours fluctuated and were not set. I felt that the company should value their employees more. The salaries are really low compare to other retail companies. We could have done better when it came to training and support. There should have been a more effective communication between corporate and stores.
Pros
Employee discount.
Cons
No benefits.
Perfect for management start up
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJuly 19, 2018
At Claire's they did give you the option to succeed and grow. It was the perfect job for me to begin my management career. If you presented yourself to them with a positive hard working attitude, they did give you the tools to succeed. Working with this company was a more positive experience with me. I met many professional women during my 5.5 years with this company. I would recommend this job for someone who wants to advance in retail from a team lead into a manager. The businesses are small with a small staff, so it is easier to maintain and perfect your work skills.
Payroll Asc.
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILDecember 5, 2018
The manager was disrespectful rude and very unprofessional. I wasn't trained thoroughly and was fired due to performance the manager lied and said she coached me and i was retrained which never happened. I went to hr to complain about the verbal abuse and hostile work condition and was fired on the spot. I had no confidentiality when i expressed mu concerns and was threw in an office with my manager at the time i thought was a confidential meeting to get mediation and was termed. I was obvious through out the office how rude and intimidating the manager was and hr refuses to do anything about it. Hoping to file an unlawful termination suit due to the negligence and awful workplace environment.
Pros
Cons
Felt like an inmate.
This place is bull
3rd Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTJune 26, 2018
I worked there for over a year, and had ask for a raise in December. They told me to wait until may, which I waited until the end of June. They wrote me up for closing one door (we had two) ten minutes before close. Not only did they not give me a warning, they wrote me up TWO months later after the fact, and because of that, they refused to give me a raise. I closed a door in February, I was written up in apirl. I worked really hard, only to find out I got the same pay as a sales assotiate (I'm was a third key, and handled the money) I asked to be trained the be assistant manager, and the three times we didn't have one, they hired a new one, new to the company. There is litterly no advancement in this company, and if you work here you are a machine that belongs to them, not a person
Pros
Great discount
Cons
Everything else
Nice place to work
3rd Key/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILDecember 12, 2018
A typical day at work was easy, I learned about customer service and running a store. My manager was very nice and organized. Hardest part of the job was piercing baby's ears. Most enjoyable part of the job was the fun activities planned for children that came in sometimes.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Low pay, no raises
Bad Place to work,fun co-workers
Third Key Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 18, 2018
I only have stayed at this job for the friends I've made over time. They really don't care about their employees. We had a a/c problem for the whole summer they made us work in 90+ degree weather and kept saying they'd fix it but they never did. But you tell them something concerning their money is wrong and they're on it right away. Only get a job here if you're desperate.OH also they didn't give me a pay raise for 6 months after I got promoted, I was promised I would be reimbursed...still waiting on that check....its been 4 months now :).
Pros
paid vacay if you've worked over a year
Cons
breaks are short, hours long, Big managers dont care they just use you like a money machine, ask a lot from you without paying the minimum
Creative Environment, Poor Management
Global Merchandise Buyer / Jewelry and Accessories (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILJanuary 10, 2019
Creative Environment
Travel Overseas Benefit
Poor Management
Poor Work Culture with Back Stabbing
Good Insurance and Pay
Too long of hours and not family oriented
Inconsistent Direction
Not the best place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYNovember 11, 2018
District manager didn’t care if you worked 12+ hr shifts everyday with no breaks. Very poor management when it comes to balancing your life along with work. Would not recommend anyone to apply here
Pros
Enjoyable Environment, Work by yourself
Cons
Management, No Flexibility, Long Hours
Poor management and low wages
Third Key Manager (Former Employee) –  New MexicoJanuary 5, 2019
I was given a key after less than 2 weeks of training with no prior experience. The manager and the assistant weren’t that supportive. Serious health conditions weren’t as important as smoke breaks were for other employees. No support from other employees. The pay was awful. Instead of being honest about an employees’ reason of leaving, store manager would make up a lie and say the employee left for a new job (clearly trying to avoid getting in trouble for poor management and unethical working environment) via email to district.
Pros
Good discounts for employees
Cons
Pay rates, employee turn over rate, poor management
Definitely not what I expected
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 11, 2018
A typical day consists of cleaning the entire store top to bottom, reorganizing accessories, unpacking shipment, greeting customers, and ringing up customers. I learned basic customer service skills and register skills, as well as the layout of the store and how it works. Management was definitely the worst part. It was terrible. Nothing ever got done, and always had drama involved. No room for raise, or promotion. All in all it was a mess. My manager at the time was amazing! She was the best, but everyone after and the higher ups just seemed to like starting drama. The culture was relaxed some days and stressful the other. It just depends what holiday it's close to, and if school is out or not. The hardest part is not speaking what is on your mind. The most enjoyable part was...im not really sure honestly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Claire's. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP15%
In the Top 15% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Claire's.

Powered by Comparably