Clean Harbors Environmental Services Inc. Employee Reviews

Poor management, Poor pay, good benifits
Driver (Current Employee) –  Rosemount, MNJanuary 31, 2019
Overall would not recommend working for this company. No advancement, have to fight tooth and nail to get a raise. They DO NOT give a yearly cost of living raise.
Clean Harbors works you almost to death
Technical Services Chemist II (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 16, 2018
Working for Clean Harbors for almost 2 years as one of their Field Chemists was a rough, dangerous and thankless job. They expect most of your training to be done on the job, yet they have no method of ensuring that all veteran employees actually know how to TRAIN someone else. The customers expect you to perform magic, and then get angry when a state or federal regulation prevents me from just "getting rid of it" which is why you had to call us to begin with. We are fancy garbage men without a union and therefor worse wages. I have an actual chemistry degree, and I was only paid $21.50/hour as a LEVEL 2 Chemist. I was threatened by a co-worker once, and we both were reprimanded by HR when I brought it to my manager's attention. The company and the customers want you to be happy about working a 12 hour day 5 (sometimes 6) days a week, and then will actually get angry if you mention that you're a little tired. Overall, its a great place to work if you have no college degree and don't mind working with chemicals that can literally kill you every single day. Otherwise, would not recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Overtime (whether you like it or not)
Cons
Pretty much every aspect of the job
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MASeptember 30, 2018
Very good environment to work, Management and personnel are committed to patient safety and well being. Management is very supportive of balancing work and family life.
Nice place to work
Sr. Lead Chemist (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDSeptember 19, 2018
Work was fun. I learned how to work with chemicals. Brand ace Johnson was great as a manager. The culture was good. The hardest part was segregation of chemicals. My co-workers.
management doesnt bother to train, they wait until you mess up
Class A CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  Reidsville, NCAugust 10, 2018
Garbage place to work. the training never ends and is always the excuse to keep you from getting a raise. If youre a local driver and theres no local work theyll offer out of town work. The ELD system is garbage and always has issues. I thought I could actually do something here but I was wrong. If you try to transfer to a different branch theyll get mad and try to fire you or get you written up so you cant transfer. Managers try to keep you dumb so you cant get a raise or transfer. They told me I had to be at a branch for a year before I could transfer when in reality its only 6 months. The Ceo owns multiple companies but never gives anyone a raise. Uniforms take months to come in when hired on... I am usually a positive person but this company really doesnt care about the employees..especially the drivers. Save yourself the headaches... Oh yea and one more thing they have waaay too much paperwork for easy pickups and deliveries. haha one more, the company mysteriously cancelled everyones 401k then brings it back over a year later... The training mods never end... no exaggeration, just ask any employee.
Pros
its a job right
Cons
management, trash pay for hazmat drivers, slows down randomly, my uniforms never showed up, what raise?
If you have a record, don't waste your time applying here
Turned down job candidate (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutJune 14, 2018
If you have a criminal background, do not apply here. You will not get the job. They run a background check. It goes back 7 years. It is sad because of a mistake in the past, which would not impact someone working at a company, prevents an otherwise qualified person from being hired.
good work place
Operator (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXFebruary 26, 2018
good stepping stone for young kids willing to work and learn in the industry pays not to bad for the amount of work you do at the facility union plant
Pros
4 on 4 off
Cons
production first
My favorite thus far
Receiving Coordinator (Current Employee) –  La Porte, TXNovember 12, 2017
This has been my favorite company to work for thus far. I love my rotating shift schedule. It gives me the opportunity to have days off that the rgular 9-5 doesnt have.
great place to get a solid career started
Program manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 7, 2017
The pay is competitive and has the potential to expand. The training is second to none in the career field. The companies name carries weight and can propel your career in the industry.
A lot of hours, Always away from home, bad management
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  NYC/NJAugust 1, 2017
Job was 100% travel, we were home maybe 1-2 months out of the year, worked 12 hours a day every day 7 days a week which was ok since we were away from home so all we wanted to is work and not just sit, Management micromanaged from 1000 miles away, had no idea what was ever going on, no one gets recognized here. Can't move up. no raises, stuck us in horrible hotels cause they're cheap!
Don't recommend.
Pros
A lot of hours, people you work with, fly to work, fly home.
Cons
Managementt, no raises, pay, No advancement, 100% travel
Clean harbors is a good place to work
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  ArkansasJuly 27, 2017
I have been working for clean harbors for 6 years and never had a accident working for them we work safe and think safty everyday to go home to family
Don't waste your time.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 25, 2017
Worst company ever. Poor management, bad pay, unsafe conditions and no training but expect you to still do the work anyway. This company preaches about job safety untill the job starts, then that all goes out the window for progress.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, unsafe work place.
Great
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Linden, NJJuly 19, 2017
If you don't know how this company show you how to work safe. I have the chance to meet new people and to learn different ways to be more to the company and to teach others as well as reminding myself. Clean Harbors has its ways to teach you everything about the business, how to be safe all around no short cuts follow rules.
You have more proactive accept change and listen well
Good if you like having no life
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Tooele, UTJune 9, 2017
You have very little personal time. One 10Min lunch break per 12hour shift. Bosses pick favorites. Will pay you as less hourly as possible. Paid me $13/hr than I later found out minimum for there is $15/hr. Also, everyone is supposed to get an iPhone and I got a flip phone(they didn't pick me as a favorite and so they treated me differently, could care less about a phone, just using an example for picking favorites).
Bosses will treat you like you're an idiot and the tooele location seems to be run by a bunch of baboons.
Pros
Decent money
Cons
Short breaks for long shifts, picking favorites, low pay for hard work, very little time for family, they expect you to live off of them and bow to them.
Not bad. Not good.
Pigging Operator (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXApril 7, 2017
Bad management and they don't care about you. All the care about is getting their money. They make top dollar and pay you bottom dollar. Advancement is almost impossible.
Pros
Travel the country
Cons
Terrible management
Newer equipment, fun place to work
Driver, Class A CDL (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 11, 2017
I started with the company within the last year. The picture painted for me of the company and the reality of the company are two totally different things. It's a good place to work if you're looking for someplace "cool" to tell your buddies about, but if you're looking for a career type place where the hard workers are taken care of financially, this is not it.
Pros
Newer equipment, "cool" factor, good crew
Cons
Pay is not comparable to work performed, you'll spend months in training not because it takes that long to train, but because the training is disjointed.
Very hard work and very dangerous not for the person that neglects safety.
Facility tech 3 (Former Employee) –  Tooele, UTFebruary 23, 2017
They pay really well and the bonuses are good.the work is the hardest work around that area for sure.very hot,very dirty danger around every corner but very interesting.
Pros
Good bonuses
Cons
Extremely dangerous